Page 1 of 2
I got a really good deal on SS and after listening to them on youtube and reading the reviews I made the mistake of getting it without really trying it out first. I was really impressed with the burn side and liked the vintage side too but then I went searching for that traditional clean fender sound but It wasn't there. It's good for imitating a Marshal and I liked the bluesey sound of both vintage amps but for regular rock and roll there was to much gain. Playing chords on it sound too tinny. Has anyone had any luck getting a clean sound out this?
That's my point, there is no clean channel. There's vintage and burn but they both have too much gain.
...the Supersonic has a clean channel. Vintage and Burn are two modes of the dirt channel.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
This one only has vintage and burn buttons. How do I get clean?
I tried turning volume up all the way and turning the first gain just enough to get room level volume but it was still grainy sounding.
Is it possible there is something wrong with the amp? I have a fendr bandmaster vm, a blues jr and a couple older fender amps and I know what the clean sound is supposed to be. This is not it, Does anyone here have a supersonic and know what I mean?
Quote by Raijouta
...the Supersonic has a clean channel. Vintage and Burn are two modes of the dirt channel.

Sorry man, but to my knowledge the Supersonic is a two channel amp - the "vintage" channel is based on a vintage clean tone and the "burn" channel is based on a modern high gain tone.

TS: You should be able to get an amazing clean tone from the Vintage channel, as its modeled to produced vintage Fender cleans. It only has volume, treble, and bass controls (like many of the vintage Fender amps have) so you shouldn't be getting any distorted tones unless you have the that channel cranked.
put it on vintage, and vibrolux.

keep the volume under 6/10.

don't pick attack like a tyrannosaur.

report back.

also, what guitar are you using?
Quote by gregs1020
put it on vintage, and vibrolux.

keep the volume under 6/10.

don't pick attack like a tyrannosaur.

report back.

also, what guitar are you using?

+1

Also, any pedals that might be distorting the signal?
Im using a telecaster, bridge pu and it sounds bluesey but if it had a gain control it sounds like it would be about a "6" on 1- to 10.
try a 5751 or 12at7 in the first position of the preamp for that channel.

and lower the tele pup a couple turns.
Quote by bbower
Im using a telecaster, bridge pu and it sounds bluesey but if it had a gain control it sounds like it would be about a "6" on 1- to 10.

See the thing is its based on amps that were made before amps had "gain knobs" or "master volumes". Back in the day you had your EQ and a volume knob - turn the volume down for clean tones, crank it to drive the tubes to clipping stages and get distortion. Have you turned the volume knob on the vintage channel down?
It already has a 12at7. I tried switching the first and then the second with an 12au7. It helped a little but still too much gain for me. I also tried both pu's and lowered both volumes on them.
Quote by gregs1020
try a 5751 or 12at7 in the first position of the preamp for that channel.

and lower the tele pup a couple turns.

But it's a SS amp.

I would look at the speakers...speakers may be distorting causing it to sound like bad cleans. Crap cheap speakers man....I can't stand them...

*looks at B-52 4x12 in corner*

Burn in hell you piece of junk.
Quote by ethan_hanus
But it's a SS amp.

Its an SS meaning Supersonic, not solid state. The Supersonic is fully tube man.

Dunno if this was supposed to be a joke or if you just didn't understand what the TS had posted.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Its an SS meaning Supersonic, not solid state. The Supersonic is fully tube man.

Dunno if this was supposed to be a joke or if you just didn't understand what the TS had posted.

Oh....well...I was duped...LIES I TELL YOU!!!
lmao, way to go ethan.

bbower, are you sure you hit the right positions? the 12AU7 should have killed any gain, i would think.

bass and treble at 5 or below?

cuz otherwise, i got nothing.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
lmao, way to go ethan.

bbower, are you sure you hit the right positions? the 12AU7 should have killed any gain, i would think.

bass and treble at 5 or below?

cuz otherwise, i got nothing.

+1

I'm always hearing people talk about "Bassman breakup" and I'm running four 12ax7s in my Bassman and I can turn the thing up to 10 and there is no break up. So surely, if the TS is running a 12au7 he shouldn't be getting any grit.
the more i think about it, tele bridge pups aren't really well known for cleans.

maybe it's just the tele being a nasty bitch like it should?

try a strat on the neck middle position.
Quote by gregs1020
try a strat on the neck middle position.

Neck middle? Strat's only have neck pickups, ya know.
I don't understand how a Super-Sonic wouldn't be giving you nice Fender-y cleans. IMO, that's all they're good for. I haven't been able to dial in a good tone on the burn channel for any kind of riffing or chording.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'm sorry, but your ears would have to be bleeding on the vintage channel before you got breakup or distortion of any sort. Something is wrong.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
i was down working on it. I put the 12au7 in the wrong input, it belongs in v2. It did make a small difference but not enough. I also tried swapping the power tubes and no change. I have the button on the vertical line on "vintage" and the light is on the left side. I have the other button on vibrolux but tried both ways.
Have you swapped out the preamp tubes? This sounds like something is wrong with the amp. It should be loud and clean on that channel.
I swapped on the v2 one as that is supposed to be the preamp for the vintage side. I think Im going to it to a music store about 40 miles away where they have a ss head I can compare it to and see what they say.
It's only one of the tubes for the vintage side. V1 is shared, as are the V4,5,6,9, and 10 tubes (The power amp tubes V7&8 are shared, of course, but you said you changed those). It may be that you're only noticing the problem on the clean channel because the gain covers it up on the burn channel. If both channels are the same volume, and one of the preamp tubes is dying, it's not V2.

In order of least to most likely:
V9 and 10 are reverb driver/recovery tubes, V4 is reverb/buffer, V5 is effects loop recovery, V6 is the phase inverter, V1 is first input stage.
Yes. I'd use a 12AX7 if you've got one, the 12AU7 might give you odd results in some of those spots. You can take out V3 (should still be burn channel only, presumed to be working) and swap it for the other preamp spots to see if that changes anything.
I tried it, no change. I think I'll take a trip to the fender dealer, compare it with theirs and go from there, Thanks for all you guys for your suggestions
OK guys problem solved. I took it to the music store and one of powertubes was bad. They put two new ones in and now it does have the good clean sound. Much more bass and volume and sounds like it should. I bought it off a music dealer on ebay but they said the tubes were not original. I've sent an email to them.
Page 1 of 2