Seems Gibson is getting raided again for having Ebony illegally! The ebony included in the shipment was illegal under a US law that bars the transport or sale of endangered woods and plants.

This is the second time that Gibson factories have been raided. In 2009, the company was investigated for allegedly using illegally imported woods from Madagascar but no criminal charges were pursued. this info from Financial Times article.

A fitting punishment, a refund of some money back to all Gibson owners, not like they still won't make a profit! Just makes me proud to own my cheapo Epiphone, I know they are not without shortcomings, but the grand ole "Gibson" co., come on, how much money do you guys have to make! So keep your headstocks high, hehe, money hungry son of a bitches, what's wrong with this country now! I'm done now.
'10 Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alp.Wht.)w/coil-tapping, PRS Paul Allender, Cort SJ-10 elec/acoust., Tradition(LP copy),Focusrite Saffire 6, JBL mon., Akai MPK25, Sonar 8.5.3 PE, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, HP dv6 DuoCore2, Windows 7 x64 .Sonar X1 PE
Gibson isn't "at" anything. This is just another example of retarded eco-fascism. There is nothing wrong with using ebony for guitars. It's not like guitars that use ebony are mass produced on an assembly line by the thousands.
Quote by ethan_hanus
You're a bit late with this...and I think Epi is made by Gibson still, just, they are not as good.

In what way are they not as good?
It's not the fact they used Ebony. They used illegal ebony, usually we outlaw a countries wood because their government is insane (Madagascar), or there's a significant threat to the environment or species (brazil).
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by lunchbox_666

Gibson Les Pauls are hand made, Epis are not, they are machine made I believe. Also, the quality of parts used...Epi pickups tend to suck, while Gibson pickups are actually pretty good.

Epi is like the Squier of Fender, or the MIM of the MIA. Same design, using crapper parts.
Quote by ethan_hanus
You're a bit late with this...and I think Epi is made by Gibson still, just, they are not as good.

A bit late?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Gibson Les Pauls are hand made, Epis are not, they are machine made I believe.

Absolutely nobody "machine makes" guitars. It just has to do with the skill, and therefore cost of the labor. If they could make guitars on an assembly line like cars, you'd see a whole bunch of cheapo, factory line, "Made in America" guitars.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by ethan_hanus
Gibson Les Pauls are hand made, Epis are not, they are machine made I believe. Also, the quality of parts used...Epi pickups tend to suck, while Gibson pickups are actually pretty good.

Epi is like the Squier of Fender, or the MIM of the MIA. Same design, using crapper parts.

You're 100% correct, but for their value, Epiphones are great guitars; if you spend time looking enough you can find some real gems. They're of lesser quality, but it's justified by their price point. This might be what the original poster was thinking.
Quote by AzureNight
It's not like guitars that use ebony are mass produced on an assembly line by the thousands.
Actually they are. Look at all the 'metal' brands. Lots of them use ebony in mass-produced models. Gibson have made several production models with ebony fretboards.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Most Gibsons are not hand made. Only the custom shop ones are. Even then the first body shaping is usually done by machine and most of the fret work is done by machine too now.

Funnily enough it looks as though some Epiphones are at least hand finished, the Elite ones for the Japanese market.

The cheapest Epis are like Squier. The regular Epis are like MIM standards. The better Epis are like MIM Deluxes and MIA Specials. Obviously the Japanese made Epis are like any other Japanese brand, pretty much on par with the MIAs other than sometimes the hardware.
damn countries changing their names...

everytime i get a new globe boom, it's outdated.

pretty soon Bavaria won't exist.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
this thread should be named, "fish and wildlife, bored in tennessee".
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
this thread should be named, "fish and wildlife, bored in tennessee".

Proof that moonshine fucks up more than your liver.
Quote by lunchbox_666

Why the hell would Gibson make cheaper guitars with Epiphone that were just as good as Gibson?

They're pretty much not as good in every way. From the finish to the fact that Gibsons are hand-made. That doesn't mean they're bad. Epiphones (for the most part) try to be as close to Gibson within a budget.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
graysquirrel38 is also at it again. if he'd only search-barred and he'd have known he was like mayonaise after the french fries.

i cant stand people only shitting on gibson.. if they'd have illegal woods, which im not discussing about, then i'm sure every other company has it. also people moaning about the QC. its all people who have no experience with a gibson instrument whatsoever. if you'd buy a propper gibson instrument which in my eyes is at least around the standard, you get a real quality instrument. sure you pay for a name but has it ever been different. try buying johnnie walker or jack daniels for 10 bucks a bottle, won't get you far. yes you can buy a corvette but a nissan GT-R will be cheaper. gte my point.
Last edited by wolvenrick at Aug 30, 2011,
Thread is much too late.

Anyway, I hope things will clear up and Gibson continues making their great guitars.
Not my first rodeo, just bringing to attention, to those who just hear. By TonyBruno on 08/29/2011 at 00:35:00 I know the history of Epiphone, and Gibson,yes Epi first.Did I not say Epiphones have shortcomings, and yes I do hate Gibson co., not people playing them, or making them! 3074326, 3 grand plus better? Still you can't justify buying a $3,800.00 AW Les Paul Custom from Gibson, for an Ebony fretboard, and finish, I've seen them, played them side by side, talking Epiphone in comparison, you just can't do it! Talk 'till you are blue in the face, $512.00 w/ Leather Epi. case, also coil-Splitting, not even close to a 3300 dollar difference in quality, or sound, been proven a million times over. If you have to have Gibson, thats fine, but at least be man enough to call it what it is! Your analogies are something else, Corvette-Nissan, I don't think a majority of the people have said a Nissan is even close, thats my point, Gibson and Epi., basically share same webpage, as far as 2010,2011, Epi's have been using basically same electronics, same pickups, of course they have to be "different" so they can gouge, even if I was way off, which I am not, change everything onEpi, strip it, and still rebuild it, with cash left over to buy amp, a bottle of Jack, and a cassette of "Little Red Corvette"! Open dem eyes people, you are not robots. One more time, all guitar co.s have QC issues, thats why I always try to end a post, especially if recommending a guitar, is to play the hell out of about 10 them, then 10 of another, and so on, changes from guitar to guitar.I'm out, can lead to water, just can't drown 'em in common sense! If so late, sorry for touching so many nerves! If someone gave me a Gibson I would take it...to trade in on PRS!
'10 Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alp.Wht.)w/coil-tapping, PRS Paul Allender, Cort SJ-10 elec/acoust., Tradition(LP copy),Focusrite Saffire 6, JBL mon., Akai MPK25, Sonar 8.5.3 PE, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, HP dv6 DuoCore2, Windows 7 x64 .Sonar X1 PE
Last edited by graysquirrel38 at Aug 30, 2011,
Wow uhm...
every hear of paragraphs and sentences?

And just because you don't like Gibson, doesn't mean they are bad.
I've tried several PRS's and haven't found one yet I liked.
Took me a long time to find a Strat I liked too. Till I found a 1996 MIM.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 30, 2011,
People who buy CustomShop Les Pauls most probably CAN justify it.
If you don't feel the difference, you don't have to buy one and it's OK, if you don't like Gibson it's OK, but your post seems so aggressive that I can't get over thinking that you want to convince yourself and all the people on the forums that your Epiphone is so close to a Gibson CustomShop that there is absolutely no reason not to buy an Epiphone and no reason to buy a Gibson.
Also, I still see no reason in buying an Epiphone and putting so much money into it for upgrades that you could already have bought a Gibson for the price (even if a used one).
A cheap guitar with upgrades is just a cheap guitar with upgrades. You can get all the Customshop hardware and electronics, but guess what: a Customshop one will still be much better.
Probably even a production model Gibson USA will be better.
Sorry, maybe I am going about this wrong, and apologize sincerely. I like Gibsons, theyare all in it together(Epi), and them. I'm not always "shitting" on Gibsons, I just can't rationally pay that much more, for not that much more gain-plain and simple. Gibson make beautiful guitars, I have owned a few, so once again I apologize.
As far as Epiphone closing the gap, they are getting there, maybe not "custom" Gibsons, of course, but mass produced, I think they are on their way. Depends heavily on which guitar specifically, you pick up, goes for both sides of the fence. If you get a lemon, without at least test-driving it first, you played a role in that.

To the gentlemen who said Epiphones are Squire-like(which I own a Squire Vin. Mod. Tele. SSH), why isn't Zakk, or Slash(getting idea), putting their names on them?

Sorry once again, just read the article, and posted, no Gibson hater here, I love them all! Even have a cigar-box strung up for slide!

Yours(begging forgiveness)
Gray one
I thought I was done, but I never once compared to Custom Shop guitar, see, I can't do it either. If you open Musicians Friend, and go to Les Paul Custom, and you find both Epi, and Gibson. $500-$3,500...this is my view, no way is it(Gibson), that much better, sorry. Like I said, I will take one, but not buy. I like my Epiphone, and no, it is not worthy of a Custom Shop, sorry if you thought thats what I meant.
The upgrades were on the level of everyday players.
Last edited by graysquirrel38 at Aug 30, 2011,
gibson guitars, especially standards and customs, are pro level instruments.

if you think they are overpriced, they probably are for you.

but for a comparison, check the price on a pro level horn.

maybe a selmer mark IV for example.

the epi LPs have a place, that place is for aspiring musicians. the same goes for PRS SE guitars and any of the sub $1000 guitars sold in the market.

can a pro choose to use whatever they want? sure.

i've played a squier at gigs and it worked just fine, and i'm no pro level musician.

it's one of those, if you can't afford it, don't bash it. there is probably something to it you just can't grasp.

sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let them suspect you for a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.
What is it that you guys don't get ? Not overpriced for me, could have had one, I didn't go in, saying, I am buying an Epiphone, and nothing else! To me, the Epiphone sounded just as good to me as the Gibson. Is there anything about that you don't grasp! I am not paying for a name, as bad as that hurts some feelings, but same goes for PRS, Fenders, so I am not picking on Gibson, just pricing, if you want to buy a trip to the spacestation with the Russians, by all means go! Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to go, but not for that price, still with me?

I also apologized earlier, and the guitars you mentioned are pro level, fine. If my guitar that cost way under half than yours has at least the same sound quality, I am stupid for paying less? If the sound is there, no qualms from me paying 20 grand for it, but I wasn't bashing people for buying them. Just letting people know, that you can get the same sound out of a $500 Epi LP(w/ a few mods), not touching mine, as you can with what is now pro level LP, from Gibson.
The two Customs I have been comparing, Epis Alpine White, thats it, not Ultra, Plus Top, just Custom, is to the Gibson Alpine White Les Paul Custom, same here no Ultras, or anything else, Gibsoms Les Paul Custom(3,800.00), is not, I repeat is not a Custom Shop guitar, that's its everyday hanging price! Don't know if that clears up a couple posts ago, about Customs, amd Custom Shop!

I will apologize once more, that's it, I am not some kid, just trying to get a fight started. I just won't pay those prices, because, you don't have to. I'm not saying go buy an Epiphone, but at least, it's from the Gibson clan, and sounds the best to ME! So if you want to call names, or put each other down, I am done, just my point of view, and when I have another one, you will hear it, loud and clear as well! Enjoy playing, even if its on a First Act, have we forgotten music, and playing for joy in all this pissing contest,later!
Nobody cares if you don't want to pay for a Gibson. We have that thread twice a day here. This thread isn't going anywhere, especially not anywhere relevant to the first post.