Our band has been looking for a singer, and it's been a challenge. I want to talk about this one singer we auditioned recently. He has a decent voice, not pitchy at all. He just lacks that special "something" that separates the good from the great. Call us picky and choosy, but we're looking for the best we can possibly get. The thing is, he has CONFIDENCE and showmanship like no other. He's not exactly what we're looking for, but I'm extremely inclined to choose him because:

1. He can keep a pitch
2. He has a lot of room to grow
3. He would be GREAT as a front-man

So what do you guys think? Should I let him grow as a singer with us? I want the perfect singer RIGHT NOW at this moment, but that seems like an impossible goal. Anybody with experience in this situation? Thanks guys!
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

I'd certainly do it.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Think about it this way. Avenged Sevenfold had Matt Shadows as a vocalist. First album he sounded terrible, screams were horrid and clean vocals were lacking. Second album he sounded pretty good, good screams and decent singing. Third album he ditched the screams and sang and was really good. Fourth album, still only singing but he's great. Fifth album, singing is absolutely amazing and he brings back the screams which sound great still.

Take him in, make sure he practices to keep his spot and he'll grow as a musician. When placed in band situations, musicians tend to grow faster.
What is it that you don't think he has as a vocalist? There are a lot of things you could mean when you say "special something." Do you mean he doesn't have a big range or he doesn't have the ability to quite take a song to where you want it to be emotionally? A little more clarification would help us give you advice.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
What is it that you don't think he has as a vocalist? There are a lot of things you could mean when you say "special something." Do you mean he doesn't have a big range or he doesn't have the ability to quite take a song to where you want it to be emotionally? A little more clarification would help us give you advice.

The latter. It's like he gets into the music, but he doesn't REALLY get into it (think Robert Plant). It's a small thing in the big scope of things. I think I'll go with him.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo

3. He would be GREAT as a front-man

You have a front man? Get him!

Having a great frontman is more important than him being able to hit all the notes IMO. You get one being able to do both and your golden!
I was in the same situation. Give him a chance, show him what do you want, what your goals are, what your favorite bands/singers are. Work together for a while and time will tell..
Do you think he has the potential to do that with your songs eventually? Have you ever had him elevate a song to the next level and he just doesn't do it often?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
do it. people really respond to stage presence. our singer totally forgot the ENTIRE first verse to You Give Love a Bad Name. but hes got that frontman ability. nobody cared once that chorus came around
Guitars:
FENDER Sugar Rush, Scala-Caster Strat
KRAMER Striker600ST (from 86)

Amps:
MARSHALL Haze 40

Pedals:
Rocktron Banshee 2 Talkbox
Boss MD2
Crybaby
Visual Sound Tremolo
FAB Chorus
David Lee Roth. Mediocre singer, great frontman, one of the most popular bands in the world. So, there's that.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Cocaine.

Hey, man, DLR didn't do hard drugs. He drank (drinks?) and smoked (smokes?) just about everything, but he apparently never shot up heroin, did a line of cocaine, or anything. Which is strange, I know, but he was mostly a drunk.