The title was going to be four fingers and one thumb, because I'm talking about my left hand only, but I thought someone would point out that I do actually have all eight, so...
On topic: I came across an Eb9(#5) chord, tabbed as:

5|-|-|X|-|-|-|
6|-|X|-|X|X|-|
7|-|-|-|-|-|X|
8|-|-|-|-|-|-|

I'm playing it, from low to high: middle finger, index finger, ring finger (barre), little finger, but finding it really hard to not mute the D string with my middle finger when I have to barre the G and B strings with my ring finger. Are there any easier ways to finger this specific voicing?

Edit: Also, this Ab7#9#5 chord? Same kind of problem:

10|-|-|X|-|-|-|
11|-|X|-|X|-|-|
12|-|-|-|-|X|X|
13|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Last edited by theknuckster at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by Deathro
Bar the 6th fret on the 2nd and 3rd string with your 3rd finger (top one) Bottom one, bar the 2nd and 1st with your pinky.

Like I said, that's what I'm already doing, I was just wondering if there were any easier ways of doing it or not.
worst comes to worst i wouldn't worry about muting the D string - the third is the least important note in that kind of chord. The way you've already described is the only way to play the chord as written - if it's too uncomfortable, just play it like you already are except mute the D string instead of fretting the note. lots of jazz players do this.
Yeah, in a band setting, you really don't need to play entire chords.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
how you're playing it is how i would play it.

second best idea: leave out the Eb.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
worst comes to worst i wouldn't worry about muting the D string - the third is the least important note in that kind of chord.

Could you explain why? Personally I'd always thought that the 3rd and 7th of a functional 7th chord were pretty important.

Your fingering is fine, if you have too much trouble with these chords after practice I'd suggest ditching the root, as the bass player will probably be playing the root.
Quote by Freepower
Could you explain why? Personally I'd always thought that the 3rd and 7th of a functional 7th chord were pretty important.

Your fingering is fine, if you have too much trouble with these chords after practice I'd suggest ditching the root, as the bass player will probably be playing the root.

Actually you're right. I made that post late last night and wasn't thinking - if you're going to take a note out, make it the root, not the third.
Just keep practicing with the fingering you're using. Personally when I'm fingering something like this I almost stack my middle finger on top of my ring finger, using it kind of like you would a bridge in pool.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby