The 3 i've mainly been looking at are the boss dd-7, mxr carbon copy and the TC electronics - flashback
I'd appreciate it if i didn't get flooded with other suggestions as i've looked at hundreds of brands/models over the past month and i've narrowed it down to these 3. They seem to be very versatile delay pedals. I really like the idea of having a looper built in as a gimmick + the toneprint option of the TC is pretty cool
I've pretty much read everything i can about the pedals and i've only had chance to try the Boss.

I'd be using the pedal for melodic hardcore lead lines like it prevails/heart in hand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_P5Izr0vwk&ob=av2e
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckbncMb9si0
along that kind of sound

If you could choose one out of the 3 you think would be most suited for me that'd be great as i cant really get hold of the TC or the carbon copy to try
Doesn't the DD-7 have like a 17 second looper in it? I'll have to check.

I've never run into a situation that my DD-7 doesn't work well for. It's also not as sterile as some people make it out to be...
I think it depends on what you're looking for. Also analog vs. delay. Analog (MXR) doesn't have as long delay times 600 ms I believe. The decay also "mellows" or "warms up" instead of being an exact copy like the digital pedals out there (Boss). Digital will also give you longer delay times. Try the MXR one before you settle on anything though. I prefer that over the others, but that's just me
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
Yeah the MXR is great, was gonna get one, but I went with a EHX memory toy. I don't use it enough to warrant a $150 pedal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As far as analog delays go, I personally think that the Carbon Copy is one of the best. If you're looking for something with a natural, warm tone and you don't need a long repeat time then go with the MXR.

I've never really experimented with digital delays, but I hear other people say that Boss is the way to go.
I personally thought the carbon copy was one of the worst, not only analogue, but delays in general. the memory boy/toy were barely any better. The analogue simulation on some digital pedals sounds miles better than what the carbon copy and the memory boy/toy can produce.

The DD-7 is a good pedal. Maybe see if you can find a Line 6 echo park cheap, it is a nice and very versatile delay pedal.
Quote by joe_k
I personally thought the carbon copy was one of the worst, not only analogue, but delays in general. the memory boy/toy were barely any better. The analogue simulation on some digital pedals sounds miles better than what the carbon copy and the memory boy/toy can produce.

The DD-7 is a good pedal. Maybe see if you can find a Line 6 echo park cheap, it is a nice and very versatile delay pedal.

To each his own man. I personally love the CC and have seen it listed as the best delay on several "best pedals" lists (which really doesn't mean anything other than there are people besides me that like it lol). I've also seen the CC popping up in tons of people's rigs. So its definitely not the worst, but we all like different things!
Quote by hawk5211
Doesn't the DD-7 have like a 17 second looper in it? I'll have to check.

I've never run into a situation that my DD-7 doesn't work well for. It's also not as sterile as some people make it out to be...

Its like 40

But seriously, you obviously haven't been looking that hard if you are comparing the corbon copy with the dd-7. The carbon copy is super simple and will give you analog delay, which is pretty limited to what it can be used for.

The dd-7 however, it a great digital delay (no that doesn't mean it will sound like a robot) but it will give you cleaner delays that are good for U2 stuff. (Yes, the Edge uses an analog delay, he also has tens of thousands in his rig, and plays very cleanly, which is why it works.) It even has an analog mode, but if you are looking for analog delay, it will be slightly sub par to the carbon copy if you have ears like Eric Johnson.
Last edited by Dmaj7 at Aug 29, 2011,
But I would suggest the Line 6 DL4 as the tap tempo switch is seperate from the bypass switch and theres a little bit more features, but the loop its about half as long.

I play live with the dd-7 all the time and am about to get the footswitch so I can use tap tempo more profiecently.

You really didn't give us any info on your style so we really can't pick one for you. Most people use the dd-7 or dd-3. Analog delay is going to sound really warm and great but the repeates are short. Its more of an echo type delay for blues and rock solos. If you plan to use the delay for clean delay and U2ish style licks as well as solos, distortion or clean, GET THE DD-7! (I put it in blue so you would see this sentence in particular.)

I just looked at those links, you'll want a digital delay for sure, and here's why:

Analog delays sound great, for clean and mild gain sounds because analog delays seems to break up the longer the delay is held out, so for playing metal, you want a digital delay, because it copies the actual signal alot better than analog delay does, and when you put a dirty signal into delay, you don't want to make it muddier, and digital delay will help it stay a little bit more cleaner.

Also, the kind of delay that was in the video I watched sounded on tempo, the repeats weren't random. The CC doesn't have tempo control, I personally don't see it being very practical for anything honestly. If you were to go analog, I would go memory man.

One last thing, if you do not have a budget you should get an eventide timefactor. Dont even try it out or listen to it, just buy it.

(I had to double post becasue my computer for some reason has been freezing up on long posts. sorry)
Last edited by Dmaj7 at Aug 29, 2011,
I'd also recommend a digital delay for you. Although an analog would be fine as long as you can live without tap tempo.

I know you said you had narrowed it down to those three but if you go analog I'd really look at the malleko ekko 616. It's much better than the CC IMO.

As for digital; I'd recommend the toneprint above the boss dd7 unless you really want the extra loop time.
RIP Gooze

cats
Depends entirely on what you want to do with it. I love the Carbon Copy on bass, but I find it a bit dark for guitar. A Memory Boy would be both cheaper and more useful if you do pick the analogue route.
i really dig my TC Electronics Nova Repeater, has some cool features, its not true bypass, but it doesn't mess with your tone hardly at all due to its awesome buffer. i don't regret spending the money at ALL.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
everything TC Electronics makes is high end and high quality, never had a problem with any of the stuff i've had from them

the Nova Delay is what I use and its great for all situations as far as im concerned
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Dmaj7
Its like 40

But seriously, you obviously haven't been looking that hard if you are comparing the corbon copy with the dd-7. The carbon copy is super simple and will give you analog delay, which is pretty limited to what it can be used for.

The dd-7 however, it a great digital delay (no that doesn't mean it will sound like a robot) but it will give you cleaner delays that are good for U2 stuff. (Yes, the Edge uses an analog delay, he also has tens of thousands in his rig, and plays very cleanly, which is why it works.) It even has an analog mode, but if you are looking for analog delay, it will be slightly sub par to the carbon copy if you have ears like Eric Johnson.

He uses a couple of rack mounted delays and puts modulation over them to warm them up now, iirc.

TS, what exactly are you looking to do with the delay? If you want a delay just to have one, I'd say get the Flashback. It'll do everything that the DD-7 does, give you subdivisions and lacks the Boss buffer. If you only want a simple delay with dark repeats, then you want the Carbon Copy. Some people do find it muddy though.
I'd go with analog in this case; like the CC or the Malekko 616.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
i love my DD-1, it's cheap and gets decent length delays and really good slapback. also, i can turn the time down and get a lush thick warm reverb
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Like some guys wrote already, It depends of how are you gonna use them. I use the carbon copy and I'm in love with it, I use it for nice soloing, arpeggiated textures and even for making "musical noise", despite some guys say I do find it versatile enough for my style and I just love the sound of it.

But really, try them first or at least make up your mind of how are you gonna use it.