I'm starting to teach my cousin guitar. I plan on teaching her Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Beatles, ect. in the futre. But for now I'm gonna try to start teaching her stuff she is used to listening to. Does anyone know any rap/hip-hop songs with decent guitar riffs in them? Aside from like nu-metal, ratm, and beastie boys. I already have Lose Yourself by Eminem down, so if anyone knows anything else, has a better knowledge of rap/hip-hop it would help.
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
D.O.A by Jay-Z has a cool guitar thing going on. You could also easily translate the sax part to the guitar.
Eazy E boyz in tha hood.

Dynamite Hack did a version of it that is great.

EDIT: Ice Ice Baby, other wise known as pressuer by Queen. Or walk this way by Aerosmith
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 29, 2011,
Bad Boys For Life - P. Diddy.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Check out the hip hop collaboration the black keys did. It was called Blakroc.

Done did it (I think that's what it was called) has a particularly awesome riff.
I hear my train a comin'.
---------------------------------
Fender MIM Stratocaster + Fender 57/62 single coils
Agile AD-2300
Fender Blues Junior + MXR Custom '78 distortion
Also, look up some of Anthrax's rap collaborations, notable Bring the Noise with Public Enemy.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Billionaire -- Travie McCoy
Black and Yellow -- Wiz Khalifa Chords are (Dm, C, G, G)
Show goes on -- Lupe Fiasco, of course you might want to look at Float On--Modest Mouse, as it is twice as slow.
Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day.
Travis Barker - Can A Drummer Get Some.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Quote by Hail
Also, look up some of Anthrax's rap collaborations, notable Bring the Noise with Public Enemy.

That's exactly what I was going to say.
Learn to play funk guitar. A hell of a lot of rap guitar parts are just old funk riffs. There are some great funk lessons on YouTube.
The violin on Remember The Name by Fort Minor was played on guitar live once. I'll see if I can find the link and edit this post. It might be a bit (very) hard if your cousin is just starting but try Where'd You Go by FM. Its easy enough and sounds amazing.

Tabs for Where'd you go:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/f/fort_minor/whered_you_go_ver6_tab.htm
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
if you check youtube just type a song and put guitar cover you can usually find guitar covers of rap or hip hop songs. they're usually acoustic and really simple, but with a little digging you can find most songs. 'specially "top 40" songs

EDIT:

Finding a cover by a pro none-rap artist is usually a good start, cuz you can adapt that version (with correct chords and notes, which are otherwise hard to come by) to have a more rap/hip hop flow. First example that comes to mind is the Fray and Kanye West's Heartless.

Also,

Ride Wit Me - Nelly.
How to Love - Lil Wayne.
Man I used to Be - k-os
Got This Money - Childish Gambino
POWER - Kanye West
Heartless - Kanye West
Pursuit of Happiness - Kid Cudi
Erase Me - Kid Cudi

are pretty guitar friendly (specially the last two). search around for em.

good luck!!
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Aug 31, 2011,
Not Rap necessarily, but its own genre; RATM

EDIT: lol skimmed the OP, didn't see that part

Everlast - What its like

Really easy, good song.
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Aug 31, 2011,
The Roots use a real, well...everything- guitars, drums, etc. They also do a nice collaboration with Cody Chesnutt called "The Seed."

You might also want to check out L.L. Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out" as performed on MTV's Unplugged- he used a live band that really found that song's groove.

After Run DMC/Aerosmith and PE/Anthrax, there was a big explosion of rap-rock fusion that eventually paved the way for bands like RATM, Korn, Linkin Park, 311, Limp Bizkit and the like. 24/7 Spyz, Bodycount, Mordred, Me Phi Me, HardCorp, Lucy Brown, Eye & I, Follow For Now and the soundtrack Judgement Night all played a role.

That soundtrack is especially juicy because it contains a dozen or so collaborations that follow the formula set down by PE/Anthrax. See here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_Night_(soundtrack)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 31, 2011,
only 1 you need to learn her.
Aerosmith ft. Run DMC - Walk this Way
also the riff just sounds epic as hell.
Get Back (Sum 41 version)-Ludacris
Deliverance-Bubba Sparx (I think?)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
She said she likes Jay-Z, Eminem, Kid Cudi and a couple other people, but she just said find whatever is rap. And I never thoguht about Walk this Way, I'll deffinitly be doin that
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Lapdance by nerd,,,,,,,,,,, nice easy begineers riff
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)