How? :O Books? I always wondered this whenever a guy comes and says he is been self taught for 20+ years or whatnot :O
I self taught myself without using the internet too. Books, bro.
Sail upon the open skies
You could use books, there are plenty of books out there with basic guitar stuff, and even in depth music theory. Or, you just dick around until you're good, which isn't that hard
It's called school I believe.

Oh...if you mean guitar...oh...
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
I know a guy that has been playing for 40 who is self taught he learns from guitar magazines and books usually and just experimenting around on the guitar.
my uncle learned by a book
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
I would never have the motivation to teach myself the guitar without the internet...I guess I'm too dependent on it =(. Props to folks who learned it by ear or books :O
I just played the first thing that came to my head in my room for years. I sometimes jammed with my neighbor who was just starting to learn drums, so as the years went on, we both got better. I've never even watched an instructional video. I have a few books but I never really read them.
Quote by byob_soad2
By ear.

I kinda wish I learned without internet. It's made me so lazy

It made most of us lazy.
I learned without internet. Granted I knew other instruments, so it helped. Just books and dickin' around
Surely any of the many guitarists who were self-taught before the advent of the internet did so without the help of said internet... right?
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
It doesn't matter too much if it's a book or if it's off the internet, you still had to read to help you learn guitar. They're all just tools to help you improve. Use as many as you can. I don't think you can go wrong that way.
I used books to teach myself at first...then when I ran out of books, I started to use the internet.

Chord books are so massively useful it's never made sense to me why all the metal guys who started off with tabs and shredding have a hard time learning chords...I mean, you can learn those 5 billion notes in succession, but can't memorize a bunch of hand positions.
In all seriousness I don't use either to teach myself. Playing along to the radio and records can go a long way. Pretty sure they had them 20+ years ago.

Books help though.
Last edited by Alkaline 64 at Aug 29, 2011,
Books, records, sheet music, etc.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
The traditional hardcore autodidactic way is to slow down records. Wes Montgomery taught himself entirely by listening to Charlie Christian records until he could play every lick and solo the man ever played.

This was before they had books on how to play jazz guitar, and over a decade before rock even existed, though.

Before all the great guitar books we take for granted, people learned to play entirely by ear if they had to teach themselves, and before there was any formal pedagogy for jazz and rock like there is now, you had no choice but to teach yourself.
Quote by Alkaline 64
In all seriousness I don't use either to teach myself. Playing along to the radio and records can go a long way. Pretty sure they had them 20+ years ago.

Yep, we did, infact I learned to play mainly from recordings, they were on these round plastic things called 'records'.
I used tabs when I started but I can't remember the last one I looked up, must've been months ago. I have a good ear, but if I had to try and transcribe things when I first started I don't know if I'd have stuck with it.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
My former teacher who was close to 60 said back in the day they'd just listen to the radio and try to replicate it.
Started playing around 1976. No Internet no DVDs....I learned from books, magazines like Guitar Player, and stealing licks from friends.