Hello, UG. I'm looking for a simple Home studio setup for Instrumental recording. I want to have the ability to record a guitar solo instrumental album-- from drums, to bass, and synth sounds (organs, jazz organ, piano, etc). The only thing I have is the M-Audio fast track pro that I bought years back (I can sell this and purchase something else if neccessary).

I have few guitars, a JCM 2000, and the M-Audio Interface with quite the powerful PC at my disposal. What kind of soft/hardware should I need in order to record such a thing? I play mostly neoclassical metal.

My idea:
+Keyboard w/ MIDI out
+A cheap bass for bass recording
+(Maybe) a better interface
What kind of software?
What else should I need?

I'm hoping to make some good quality recordings with whatever setup I get my hands on.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by nignog at Aug 29, 2011,
If you're looking for a new interface, I highly recommend the M-Audio Profire 2626. Will last you forever if you treat it right, and comes bundled with Pro Tools 9. It will run you about $500~ although it's well worth it if you're looking to start a home studio.
It has 2 midi inputs, 8 mic lines, and 26 inputs.

A midi keyboard will also be a lifesaver in any home studio situation, so you're well on the right track there.

A bass will also make a world of difference in any of your recordings, and like I've said before, the M-Audio 2626 also doubles for a VERY nice DI.

I know it sounds like I'm pushing the M-Audio a tad hard, although I'm soon to receive mine after playing round with my mates one for a while and I can happily say it's definitely beneficial.

An electrical drumset may be something to look into? It's a tad harder than just creating a midi file from scratch, although if you've got some prior experience on the drums you could find it much easier to get the rough drum track down in a midi file, then touch it up later afterwards to get it all perfect.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
If you're looking for a new interface, I highly recommend the M-Audio Profire 2626. Will last you forever if you treat it right, and comes bundled with Pro Tools 9. It will run you about $500~ although it's well worth it if you're looking to start a home studio.
It has 2 midi inputs, 8 mic lines, and 26 inputs.

A midi keyboard will also be a lifesaver in any home studio situation, so you're well on the right track there.

A bass will also make a world of difference in any of your recordings, and like I've said before, the M-Audio 2626 also doubles for a VERY nice DI.

I know it sounds like I'm pushing the M-Audio a tad hard, although I'm soon to receive mine after playing round with my mates one for a while and I can happily say it's definitely beneficial.

An electrical drumset may be something to look into? It's a tad harder than just creating a midi file from scratch, although if you've got some prior experience on the drums you could find it much easier to get the rough drum track down in a midi file, then touch it up later afterwards to get it all perfect.

I'm not too fond of software, but I hear great things about Pro tools and I hear the exact opposite about them, just about everywhere; where as something like Nuendo or Cubase has generally stable high-end (good) reputation.

Why is it like this with Pro Tools? Something i might not know about?
Quote by nignog
I'm not too fond of software, but I hear great things about Pro tools and I hear the exact opposite about them, just about everywhere; where as something like Nuendo or Cubase has generally stable high-end (good) reputation.

Why is it like this with Pro Tools? Something i might not know about?

Well, think of it this way. Most professional recording studios use Pro Tools of some sort. The reason why people say bad about it is because they don't want to take the time to learn a thing and would rather have a cookie cutter program which does everything for them.

Could guarantee that if you walked into a highly regarded professional studio, I could bet my left nut they will be running a Mac with Pro Tools.

*PC's are also compatible with Pro Tools, was just using Mac as an example.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
Well, think of it this way. Most professional recording studios use Pro Tools of some sort. The reason why people say bad about it is because they don't want to take the time to learn a thing and would rather have a cookie cutter program which does everything for them.

Really? Cuz I found Pro Tools to be the easiest program out of every one I've tried to use which is why I've used it since 7.4

I absolutely hate Cubase with a passion as the UI just didn't make much since to me. It took me forever to get a track working and it didn't work well with my interface.

I'd take a look at Reaper. Its Freeish (As in its got a 30 day trial that never expires but its only $40 for the license versus $400-600 with other DAWS), there are tons of tutorials and support for it and its the DAW of choice around here for pretty much everyone except myself, 3 other guys running Pro Tools, 2 running Cubase and the one guy using FLStudio :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Really? Cuz I found Pro Tools to be the easiest program out of every one I've tried to use which is why I've used it since 7.4

I absolutely hate Cubase with a passion as the UI just didn't make much since to me. It took me forever to get a track working and it didn't work well with my interface.

I'd take a look at Reaper. Its Freeish (As in its got a 30 day trial that never expires but its only $40 for the license versus $400-600 with other DAWS), there are tons of tutorials and support for it and its the DAW of choice around here for pretty much everyone except myself, 3 other guys running Pro Tools, 2 running Cubase and the one guy using FLStudio :p

As I said, if he gets a new interface (M-Audio Profire 2626 is what I recommend) he wont have to buy Pro Tools separately since it's bundled along side the interface.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
As I said, if he gets a new interface (M-Audio Profire 2626 is what I recommend) he wont have to buy Pro Tools separately since it's bundled along side the interface.

Honestly; if he is just recording with one or two mics at a time; there is no need for a new interface IMO.
Also TS; what mics do you have, or will you be using? And how many?

I also recommend Reaper. But if you really want, than yeah go for pro tools or cubase or logic if on a mac. They are all pretty good, and really it all comes down to personal preference about the interfaces; they basically are all equally powerful.

If you can't drum then you might want some drumming software such as superior drummer.

Bass and keyboard it all depends on how much use they will get in my opinion. If you will use it a lot then go for it; else just use software instruments.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Mopy

Uhh, wrong. Tell me where it says it comes with PT: http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html

Even then, the sites that are selling PT9 and the Profire together are close to $1000. A lot of $$$ to be starting to record.
Quote by lockwolf
Uhh, wrong. Tell me where it says it comes with PT: http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html

Even then, the sites that are selling PT9 and the Profire together are close to $1000. A lot of $$$ to be starting to record.

Oh, really?

Didn't know $549 was so close to $1000....
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
Oh, really?

Why spend so much on an interface that is overpriced, just to get PT9? The only time an M-Audio interface actually came with PT as standard was PT M-Powered which is crap tbh - delibrately-crippled software so Digidesign could control their customers' spending habits and direct them towards Digi-affiliated products.

Until 9, the only PT worth spending on was HD and that is ridiculously overpriced by today's standards. PT 9 addresses most PT 8 non-HD issues but it is still expesive compared to a lot of other DAW's.

Get over your "Pro Tools is the industry standard" ideology and stop being a pro tool. There is no reason why someone fairly inexperienced should spend half a grand on an interface and software, when cheaper interfaces and Reaper will serve them fine to learn on to at least the point where they know how much they're willing to put into their hobby/career path/brief interest/etc.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Mopy

the bundle is more expensive, and that interface is already pretty damn expensive.

M-Audio Stuff is more expensive since Avid is a bunch of greedy money freaks.
The producut is great, but i Would Recomand maybe A sapphire pro 40 wich has 20in 20 out and has better converter then the profire2626. for 200 less then a profire would cost you.
Quote by mulefish
Honestly; if he is just recording with one or two mics at a time; there is no need for a new interface IMO.
Also TS; what mics do you have, or will you be using? And how many?

I also recommend Reaper. But if you really want, than yeah go for pro tools or cubase or logic if on a mac. They are all pretty good, and really it all comes down to personal preference about the interfaces; they basically are all equally powerful.

If you can't drum then you might want some drumming software such as superior drummer.

Bass and keyboard it all depends on how much use they will get in my opinion. If you will use it a lot then go for it; else just use software instruments.

Just 1 Shure SM57-- which I don't even have yet. I will most likely be purchasing one for my studio. It's mostly just going to be me solo in here; so like you said; I might not need that software.

Is Reaper capable of everything PT, Cubase, etc is capable of as far as audio recording goes? I might just go with that.

So here is what I have so far (or will have for sure):

1 M-Audio Fast Track Pro
1 SHURE SM57
3 Electric Guitars
1 Low-end bass
1 Low-end Keyboard (already have but didn't realize)
1 Marshall JCM 2000 with matching 1960 4x12
--and a powerful pc.

TL;DR - there's the list of what I have, what more do I need and how should I go about using it for the best result?
Quote by lockwolf

4 please :P
The symphonizer
Quote by Mopy
Oh, really?

Read fine print, its Pro Tools 8 with an upgrade to Pro Tools 9 M-Powered. Its not the same as Pro Tools 9 in the slightest. You're locked into an M-Audio interface, you're only allowed 32 tracks instead of 96 and M-Powered has been known to be a buggier overall build of PT. You're then looking at another $300 to upgrade to the full version of PT9 which opens up a lot more doors.

Besides, you're still looking at $550 just for an interface and software. You haven't even touched on mics, monitors, stands, cables, extra software, and a whole ton of other stuff.
Quote by lockwolf
its the DAW of choice around here for pretty much everyone except myself, 3 other guys running Pro Tools, 2 running Cubase and the one guy using FLStudio :p

...and the one guy using Ableton Live.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Why spend so much on an interface that is overpriced, just to get PT9? The only time an M-Audio interface actually came with PT as standard was PT M-Powered which is crap tbh - delibrately-crippled software so Digidesign could control their customers' spending habits and direct them towards Digi-affiliated products.

Until 9, the only PT worth spending on was HD and that is ridiculously overpriced by today's standards. PT 9 addresses most PT 8 non-HD issues but it is still expesive compared to a lot of other DAW's.

Get over your "Pro Tools is the industry standard" ideology and stop being a pro tool. There is no reason why someone fairly inexperienced should spend half a grand on an interface and software, when cheaper interfaces and Reaper will serve them fine to learn on to at least the point where they know how much they're willing to put into their hobby/career path/brief interest/etc.

I'm not idolizing anybody/anything, all I was doing was making a recommendation. You know, because I've happened to enjoy the experience I had while working with the same bundle my mate had bought...
I never once said any other DAW's were bad, hell I am using Reaper at the moment and will probably continue using it after my 2626 arrives.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by nignog
Just 1 Shure SM57-- which I don't even have yet. I will most likely be purchasing one for my studio. It's mostly just going to be me solo in here; so like you said; I might not need that software.

Is Reaper capable of everything PT, Cubase, etc is capable of as far as audio recording goes? I might just go with that.

So here is what I have so far (or will have for sure):

1 M-Audio Fast Track Pro
1 SHURE SM57
3 Electric Guitars
1 Low-end bass
1 Low-end Keyboard (already have but didn't realize)
1 Marshall JCM 2000 with matching 1960 4x12
--and a powerful pc.

TL;DR - there's the list of what I have, what more do I need and how should I go about using it for the best result?

Well I'm just going to ignore the huge debate and actually answer TS's question [a novel concept I know]:

Monitors and perhaps a decent pair of headphones.
Again, perhaps midi drum software.
I don't use reaper, but it gets a lot of praise. The way I'd go about it is: download the trial, use it [the trial never ends and is unlimited from my understanding] and if you find it limiting then look at upgrading. But TBH I don't think you will.
You may want to look into purchasing some post production plugins or VST's but I can't help you at all there, and I'd only get them if you find what you do have limiting after trying it.

Hope this helps
RIP Gooze

cats