Specifially the Crate GT1200H. I am considering buying this head for £100. I have played it, and it sounds absolutely great, very high gain, powerful metal sound for technical death metal, which is what I play, but I could only play it at about bedroom level volume. But being that I was in a store and could not turn it up too high as other people were testing amps and guitars, I am not sure about gigging volume. Will it keep the same very heavy, thick tone at that volume.

My other question is whether it is likely to malfunction or break, I have heard from Crate Flexwave owners on this forum that their flexwave amps are notorious for being unreliable as ****. is this true of this head as well?
Quote by kerkhammet
My other question is whether it is likely to malfunction or break, I have heard from Crate Flexwave owners on this forum that their flexwave amps are notorious for being unreliable as ****. is this true of this head as well?

My Crate Flexwave from 8 years ago still sounds fine. That said, it's a terrible sounding amp. I would pick a Marshall MG with CRUSHING overdrive or a Spider III stuck on Extreme ANYDAY, than to play 1 chord through a Crate Flexwave.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
While you will have to re-EQ the amp between volume levels and gig levels since different frequencies are more prominent at different volumes, the overall tonal characteristics of the amp should remain the same. The thing with SS amps is, as long as you're not pushing the amp to clipping stages, they keep the same tone no matter what the volume is; whereas tube amps sound different with different volumes because the tubes aren't as saturated at lower volumes, more saturated at higher volumes, etc.
I'll disagree. I have found the louder an SS head gets, the worse they sound (well, they need SOME volume to sound good)
Exceptions to this would be heads with TONS of power. Randall makes/made some 300w and 400w heads. I had the V2 (400w head) and it sounded great turned way up. Then again, "way up" for most heads is less than 4-5 on this head.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune