Hey guys,

I built my very first guitar and I got it set up, and it plays great.
The floyd rose I don't like it pulling back however I want it basically hardtail. My guitar is a 5150, kinda like Eddie Van Halens. I want to block the trem but I'm not sure because it does not have a trem cavity. Its just wood under the trem. If I just lay it against the wood will it be considered blocking? Will it pull back still? Will I have to re-adjust the neck or anything? please help thatnks.
There must be some routing under there for the sustain block - look at the back of the guitar - you can block the trem from there.

If you leave the trem sitting flush on the body, it's still gonna pull forward so it's not "considered blocking". You can block the trem by either placing a block of wood between the sustain block and cavity wall or installing a trem stop - http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=103
Sorry I don't think Im being clear. There is a spring cavity and everything, but if you look at the profile picture in my profile, where the 2012 is there is the floyd rose. I know alot of guitars with floyd roses have a kind of carved out part so that the trem can be pulled back and sink in there. If you go look at some evh wolfgangs or at eddie VH guitars his body was routed so that it could fit the floyd rose but the floyd would just rest on the body. Thats what mine is like
Quote by acefrehley911
Sorry I don't think Im being clear. There is a spring cavity and everything, but if you look at the profile picture in my profile, where the 2012 is there is the floyd rose. I know alot of guitars with floyd roses have a kind of carved out part so that the trem can be pulled back and sink in there. If you go look at some evh wolfgangs or at eddie VH guitars his body was routed so that it could fit the floyd rose but the floyd would just rest on the body. Thats what mine is like

I understand now. What you what to do is effectively put a block in the FR recess rout and your FR sits on that?

The usual and most aesthetically pleasing thing to do is insert a piece of wood between the sustain block and cavity wall (as stated in my previous post)... also seen here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725259. This would achieve what you want. However, if you want to dive, you need to put the block on the correct side of your sustain block and come up with a way to adhere it to the cavity wall.
Last edited by KempGuitars at Aug 30, 2011,
Quote by LRCGUITAR
If you buy a Tremol-no you can set it to dive-only mode, which sounds exactly like what you want.

+1
You can also change it to hardtail mode and fully floating mode very easily and quickly.
So I looked up youtube vids of eds 5150 and one video of guitarist johnny beane. I asked him how his 5150 was laying on the body. He said it was flush on the body. No tremolo blocker, can't pull back. What does Flush mean? That was encouraging. So I tried to do this myself. Which resulted in the springs becoming completly unscrewed from the wall. So I think I'm take this to the tech that I know at GC. WIll update when complete. BTW if you wanna see the guitar it is my profile picture.
Ok so my guitar tech fixed up the guitar. He said that he could not lay the floyd down on the body. EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A NON-RECESSED body. So he said either I need a tremol-no or a trem blocker. which to me still doesn't make any sense cause if its not recessed why couldb't he just go ahead and lay it down?