Hey everyone, lately I've been feeling like I'm going nowhere with my playing, and I've been incredibly un-confident in my playing. I've been playing guitar for a year and a quarter to scrutinize, and I've just kind of lost my confidence: I feel like my playing is sloppy (I haven't felt this way in the past) , I feel like people are complimenting my playing solely because of my friendships with them, and I get paranoid about how I sound. At that, I can't think of anything to remedy this, like learning some stuff from a new genre. Any advice or stories of how you got out of a "guitarists block"?

Tl,DR: I'm getting un-confident with my playing, and don't know where to go next.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
What genre do you mostly play, tbh I felt that too after my first year and a half of playing. I only played Muse, and that got kinda boring/easy. Try and discover new artists and experiment with that? As for feedback for your playing, upload covers on YouTube/SoundCloud, you'll get honest responses by people..just don't take YouTube comments too seriously..some people are just being tools :P
@Chitbhanu: I like to play blues and Surf/Western, but I will see about messing around with other genres, and about soundcloud, I've already uploaded stuff, and since there's little traffic on my page, I don't get any feedback, so that has been my problem: I have no honest feedback. I could show my stuff on UG, but the way it's recorded, my stuff doesn't sound very professional.
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
I think it may be that you are listening more, which is obviously a good thing. If you can identify what exactly is sloppy then you know what to fix. People that don't play instruments tend to be less judgmental simply because they are not exactly sure what to be judging. And people that do play may be noticing that you are listening to yourself more, and thus on your way to being better.

Theres also a good chance that you are becoming, like many musicians, a perfectionist. That can be both helpful and harmful and the challenge should then become knowing when and how to get in and out of that mindframe when needed.
If you don't have one already, get an acoustic, go to a park and play when there are other people around. Start playing the first thing that comes to your mind, play through all the stuff you know, maybe improvise if you can. Do this at least once a week and you'll get better, trust me

Usually people just pretend you aren't there, but kids and some adults will come over and talk to you. It helps with stage fright and playing consistently.

Music doesn't have to be recorded in a ten thousand dollar an hour studio, good music is good no matter the quality.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
I'll agree with the park comment. And try to play with people more often. If you become confident with the instrument you're playing will show that.
Thanks for the help everyone, I think I'll go out and busk this weekend, as for goals, I'll try to set one, and push myself to complete it in full.
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Are you self-taught?

Maybe it would help to get lessons for a little while. Three months, six months, find a teacher who's going to push you.
I'm not self taught, and I've had lessons, although infrequent at points, since I started. Though I learned a lot of the theory and most of the songs I know on my own, and learn mostly by ear these days, so I guess lessons aren't the problem, it might just be that I need something to drive me to do something big.
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by iancmtaylor
If you don't have one already, get an acoustic, go to a park and play when there are other people around. Start playing the first thing that comes to your mind, play through all the stuff you know, maybe improvise if you can. Do this at least once a week and you'll get better, trust me

Usually people just pretend you aren't there, but kids and some adults will come over and talk to you. It helps with stage fright and playing consistently.

I tried this once on the top of a double decker bus.

One guy complimented my playing. Another started telling me his history. He claimed he taught Geezer Butler to play guitar in the days before Black Sabbath. He knew his stuff, so it might have been true.
Quote by Bluesblitz
Hey everyone, lately I've been feeling like I'm going nowhere with my playing, and I've been incredibly un-confident in my playing. I've been playing guitar for a year and a quarter to scrutinize, and I've just kind of lost my confidence: I feel like my playing is sloppy (I haven't felt this way in the past) , I feel like people are complimenting my playing solely because of my friendships with them, and I get paranoid about how I sound. At that, I can't think of anything to remedy this, like learning some stuff from a new genre. Any advice or stories of how you got out of a "guitarists block"?

Tl,DR: I'm getting un-confident with my playing, and don't know where to go next.

don't worry about what your friends think, don't worry about how good you are, or how good you're going to be. If you enjoy the act playing guitar, then keep doing it and have fun.

now might be a good time to take a step back and think about why you started to play in the 1st place. If it was to get compliments from your friends and not out of a genuine desire to play music, I'd consider doing something else.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Jehannum

One guy complimented my playing. Another started telling me his history. He claimed he taught Geezer Butler to play guitar in the days before Black Sabbath. He knew his stuff, so it might have been true.

I was on a cross country bus to see my relatives in Florida last Christmas and I sat behind an old black guy who's son plays bass for recording bands that don't have a bassist. He talked about how his son had been playing since he was kid, how he always wanted to hear his son play for him but never got a chance because the son was always too busy. It was touching :'(
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by Jehannum

I've seen buskers do the rounds on a tube train before. You're the first I've heard of on a bus!
Also, you can completely try a way you have never practiced before. Like if you've never played with the lights off, late at night- try it.

If you've never read music before, try it.

Jam with a new musician

Watch a youtube lesson

Lot's of stuff you can to when you feel that you have hit a wall..

Hope this helps.