I've been searching for a replacement for my HH Ibanez GAX70, and I've heard nothing but good reviews about the Godin SD/SDxt line, and I think I've finally found the one I want (subject to me playing it anyway). The problem is that the SDxt ones are discontinued and very hard to find. The difference between the two is that the SD has an HSS configuration and the SDxt has an HSH configuration. Edit: I guess the SD has a shorter scale too, by 3/4".

I really would like to have an HSH guitar, because I like the sound of an HH config but I want a little more versatility. There is an HSH one available in my area, but I really don't like the finish on it. I don't know why, but I just get really turned off by that natural finish. I fell in love with the blue transparent finish, but the closest SDxt with the blue finish is 2 hours away and it's definitely seen better days. Also I'm not really a fan of maple necks.

Should I "settle" for the HSS config of the SD models because I can actually get the colour and fretboard I want (they're more common, the local pawn shop has a couple)? The kind of music I play ranges from Muse (where I need a really bright, twangy sound to kinda match Bellamy's Diezel amp) to some Frusciante, and of course simple stuff like Nirvana, Blink-182, etc. just because I need something easier to play. I don't do metal (which is why finding an HSH is hard, since it's mostly metal guitars that use it).

Blue SDxt
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Godin-SDxt-electric-guitar-W0QQAdIdZ300246008

Natural SDxt
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Godin-SDxt-Lacewood-W0QQAdIdZ309804482
Bass

Fender Aerodyne P-Bass Special (CIJ)
Yorkville 400B head and Eden 2x10 Cab

Guitar
Godin SDxt with rare lacewood top
Peavey Studio Pro 40
Line 6 POD xt live
Last edited by hall1k at Aug 29, 2011,
Also, what are their trems like? The sticky advises to stay away from trems because they're generally really annoying, but from what I gather Godin is really top-notch quality.
Bass

Guitar
Peavey Studio Pro 40
Line 6 POD xt live
the sticky doesn't say to stay away from trems, it says to stay away from bad trems.

I've liked the godins i've tried, but i don't know what their trems are like.

HSH versus HSS is a judgement call... i'm still not sure which i prefer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Godin SDxt. It's the most versatile axe I own. The 5-position switch taps off the humbuckers at positions 2 & 4, effectively giving it a H-S-S-S-H function. It uses the Fender 25-1/2" scale and the controls are located in typical Strat fashion, so it plays and feels a lot like a Strat but with 2 HB settings.

The tremelo is fine. I added one additional spring to the 3 already there so it stays in tune extremely well.
HSH with a split on the neck.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Most of those bands only use a humbucker in the bridge position so I'd say HSS. If you do go HSH, make sure you do have a split on the neck though.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by VeloDog
I have a Godin SDxt. It's the most versatile axe I own. The 5-position switch taps off the humbuckers at positions 2 & 4, effectively giving it a H-S-S-S-H function. It uses the Fender 25-1/2" scale and the controls are located in typical Strat fashion, so it plays and feels a lot like a Strat but with 2 HB settings.

The tremelo is fine. I added one additional spring to the 3 already there so it stays in tune extremely well.

I'm not sure I understand how that works. You're saying I would be able to get a single-coil-like tone in the neck position as-is with the HSH configuration?

Failing that, how hard/expensive would it be to replace the neck humbucker with a single coil or tap it? Is tapping permanent? The lacewood one I linked to is kinda growing on me, so I'd like to make the HSH config work.
Bass

Guitar
Peavey Studio Pro 40
Line 6 POD xt live
The SDxt has a 5-position switch, just like a Stratocaster.

Position 1 is the neck humbucker alone.

Position 2 taps half the neck humbucker and combines it with the middle single coil to get the Strat quack sound (like you would have at position 2 on a Strat).

Position 3 is the middle single coil alone.

Position 4 taps half the bridge humbucker and combines it with the middle single coil to get the Strat quack sound (like you would have at position 4 on a Strat).

Position 5 is the bridge humbucker alone.

If you know how a Strat works then I think you will understand what I'm saying.

Also, none of this is necessarily permanent; you can change pickups as you like, but I think the SDxt is fine just the way it is, IMHO. If you require more versatility than the SDxt can offer then you would probably be better off just getting two different guitars, like a Strat and a SG for instance.
Last edited by VeloDog at Aug 30, 2011,
Quote by VeloDog
The SDxt has a 5-position switch, just like a Stratocaster.

Position 1 is the neck humbucker alone.

Position 2 taps half the neck humbucker and combines it with the middle single coil to get the Strat quack sound (like you would have at position 2 on a Strat).

Position 3 is the middle single coil alone.

Position 4 taps half the bridge humbucker and combines it with the middle single coil to get the Strat quack sound (like you would have at position 4 on a Strat).

Position 5 is the bridge humbucker alone.

If you know how a Strat works then I think you will understand what I'm saying.

Also, none of this is necessarily permanent; you can change pickups as you like, but I think the SDxt is fine just the way it is, IMHO. If you require more versatility than the SDxt can offer then you would probably be better off just getting two different guitars, like a Strat and a SG for instance.

I think my main issue is that all the really cool stuff I want to play, like the riff from Can't Stop by RHCP and most Muse stuff (because the Diezel amps are really brightly voiced) requires a really bright, snappy tone that comes from a neck single coil.
Bass

Guitar
Peavey Studio Pro 40
Line 6 POD xt live
Apparently the neck humbucker has only two wires or something, so it can't be tapped without replacing it. I'll see how I get along without it and if I need to I'll just replace it later with a single coil.

Anyways, NGD thread coming, I just picked it up for $225.
Bass

Guitar
Peavey Studio Pro 40
Line 6 POD xt live
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?