My tone quest seems like it could only be ended by something that costs more than everything I own. I've tried Fender Super-Sonics, Blackhearts, AC-30s, DRRIs, Traynor, Laney, Hot Rod Fenders, AC-15s, Marshall Class 5s, and even a Mesa Dual-Rec, among other random amps I don't remember anymore. So far the closest I've found to the tone I want has been the Class 5, but it simply isn't enough amp for me.

What I'm going for is an amp that can get a smooth, full overdrive (think brown sound-ish) that can clean up at least somewhat well?

Is there anything, anything at all, that I can get for under $800 that will get me this, or am I searching for a tone that I can't get on an amateur/broke college kid budget?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Egnater tweaker
^Actually, I really enjoyed the Tourmaster 212 I demo'd at GC. 4 channels is just so much to mess with, but I guess I could have my clean, dirty, driven, and cranked tones right there instead of having to use lots of pedals...
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
marshall 1974x 18w clone.

/thread
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
$800 is a decent amount of money in the used market. Looks like you'd want some kind of SLP circuit for "the brown sound". Lots of options out there.
Quote by Robfreitag
used marshall JCM800 combo?

+1
or a JCM2000 DSL for a more modern 800ish tone
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Carvin x100b

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Oh and I'd like to add you can always get a Deville or Peavey Classic : D
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Ill second the X100b as they are great sounding amps. An 18w clone like previously suggested would be awesome as well. I wouldn't go with the valveking with that kind of budget.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Egnater Renegade.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by bluestratplayer
Ill second the X100b as they are great sounding amps. An 18w clone like previously suggested would be awesome as well. I wouldn't go with the valveking with that kind of budget.

The dirties don't impress me, not enough balls.

But then again I play tech death, so..
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Thanks for the ideas guys. Tried out some Egnaters again today and remembered why I liked the Tourmaster I played back home so much.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of these 18w Marshall clones I should be looking at? Everyone keeps saying "Marshall clones! Marshall clones!" but never gives an example.

Also, I'm trying to keep it under $800 for a cab and head, or a combo. An entirely new rig, basically.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Ceriatone is one example.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Phaez (there's a 100+ page Phaez thread on mylespaul)
Germino
Voodoo
Metropolous
Fargen
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Natrone
Thanks for the ideas guys. Tried out some Egnaters again today and remembered why I liked the Tourmaster I played back home so much.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of these 18w Marshall clones I should be looking at? Everyone keeps saying "Marshall clones! Marshall clones!" but never gives an example.

Also, I'm trying to keep it under $800 for a cab and head, or a combo. An entirely new rig, basically.

i said in my post 1974X and 18W which is an 18 watt p/p EL84 amp with 18 watts. i built mine. i bought mine off of Watts Tube Audio www.turretboards.com click on amp kits on left menu bar, select Marshall and 18W teriffic clone. only about $500 for parts with tubes without cab (i built a cab for mine). you can also pay them to do the assembly because while building an amp isn't impossible with no experience, any experience helps. that was my first build, and i did it with my grandfather who was in the Navy where he built and worked on flight simulaters (early to mid 1960's). it is a lot of fun, can be frustrating.

i am working on a JTM45 clone now i got from weber. i am not nearly as impressed with it than i was the kit from Watts Tube Audio.

cathbard built another 18 watter recently so you might want to ask him some questions, as his knowledge of electronics is far greater than mine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I got my Laney GH50L and a 2x12" for under 600€ used and it does what you described pretty well. Used Peaveys and Laneys can often be great amps on the cheap if you pair them up with a good cab.

I'm liking the 18w idea also.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 31, 2011,
I tried out a couple Ceriatone's a few days ago at the place where I work part-time and they really do rock. Buy one, you won't regret it.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Egnater Renegade.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
marshall 1974x 18w clone.

/thread

Either of these. I have a renegade, it will definitely do that sound
And a marshall 18w clone such as ceriatone. I'm sure others can recommend more good ones....
RIP Gooze

cats
Guys, I've got this underground racing thing I'm totally excited about but I'm nearly broke.

What sort of Formula 1-calibre car can I get for under $14000 that will also be street legal so I can use it to commute to work?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
There's a big difference in what I'm asking than that. I know guys in signed, nationally touring bands that use amps you can get for $400 used when they gig and get fantastic tone, it just isn't the sound I'm going for.

Everyone knows it's possible to find something in the guitar world that won't break your bank and still give you fantastic tone. I just don't have any knowledge of what those amps would be in my price range and for the tones I'm getting.

Thanks to everyone who gave HELPFUL advice. I appreciate it guys!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray