Sorry, No pics for the moment, although they could probably help.

I'm almost done with my 7 string, but I want to make sure all the wiring and soldering on the guitar works prior to stringing it up. So, I started getting to work.

Pickup is a Dimarzio D-Activator 7, and I have 2 potentiometers (1000k), a tone and volume, that I am trying to wire. This is the Diagram I have been attempting to follow.

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/1hum1vol1tone.pdf

Some additional instructions.

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf

I have all but the Green and Bare wires attached, and I have tried multiple grounding options for those wires, but nothing has yielded me any sound out of the pickup.

Does the green or Bare wire goto the input on that line? I already have the opposite wired.

Does the green need to be grounded? Do you have to ground the bare wire twice? Is that even the right diagram I should be using?

What do I need wired correctly to atleast get a SOUND out of the pickup?

I've got alot of questions, but this is my first time wiring a guitar from scratch, so I apologize. I just really REALLY want to finish this instrument as soon as possible.
If im not mistaken, the green is ground, so you need to have it on the pots (back of volume or tone knob) with all hot wires on your pickup switch according to placement. I can't remember too much as the last time i needed to rewire anything was over 3 years ago, hope i helps tho.
Try using this schematic - http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/1hum_1vol_1tone.pdf

SD's hot wire is black so don't get confused with the different colouring, but look at where the tone connections/cap are compared to DiMarzio's diagram.

I'm also installing a X2N 7 on one of my current projects (you left a reply on it) but it won't be ready for wiring for a week or so at least - and I'm only using one pot - but if you're not sorted by then I'll wire it up the same as the diagram and let you know what happens.
Last edited by KempGuitars at Aug 30, 2011,
That SD Schematic is FAR different from the DiMarzio one. But, I'll have to try it as it seems to be my only hope.

I'll post mah results!

FUUUUUUU-Edit

Wired it up EXACTLY, and it still didn't work. I'm starting to think I've got faulty parts...
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Aug 30, 2011,
Quote by Life Is Brutal
That SD Schematic is FAR different from the DiMarzio one. But, I'll have to try it as it seems to be my only hope.

I'll post mah results!

FUUUUUUU-Edit

Wired it up EXACTLY, and it still didn't work. I'm starting to think I've got faulty parts...

If it still doesn't work, you might want to try different pots and/or get the pup tested.
a few simple things - have you double, and triple checked your output jack wiring to make sure the wires arent reversed?

have you tried turning the volume "down" to see if down is up and up is down, which would mean your ground lug on the volume is reversed?

and just a double check - green and bare are grounded, black/white are tied together, and red is connected to volume?

if none of these are the issue, try connecting the red wire straight to the output, so no volume or tone at all, just the pickup alone. see if you get sound. is your amp one? ok jk on that last one... lol

if you dont get sound, something is wrong with the pickup. if you DO get sound, then something is going on with the pots
I'm down in the Cities now for university, so I'll see if I can't get a tech to help me...

I've seriously septuple checked my input wiring.

I've tapped the pup while its plugged in while twisting both knobs, I've even held another guitar over the pup and strummed the strings to see if it picked up any sound. It did not.

@xadioriderx, I've followed both the Dimarzio and Seymour duncan schematics, and the red wire has been connected correctly every time.

Wait, the amp is supposed to be on? LEMME TRY THIS!

Tried, still didn't work.

I think I'll try attaching the red wire straight to the output as you said, as I really don't want my pickup to be faulty, as I'm almost certain I can't replace it at this stage. I also don't have a soldering iron to try anymore wiring though, but I'll see if I can't find one.