Hey all,

I recently got back into bass, (Hence why I'm back after several years) and managing to pick up where I left off surprisingly quickly.

Here's the thing: My bass is a bit... neglected. Don't get me wrong, no scratches, dents or dodgy wiring, just grimy strings, dust all over, and a fretboard with uh... several people's skin.

In looking for a set of new strings (a 6 set... lord they're not cheap...) I found a place that will happily install them for me, (As I'm paying a lot for them, I'd rather a pro do it) but I figured, why the hell not get it completely refreshed? Y'know, new strings, cleaned 'board, dust gone etc etc. So I was wondering if anyone knew roughly how much this would cost to do, and, (going out on a limb here...) if anyone knows of a place in Birmingham (UK) that would do it?
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
How old are the strings?
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by Lord Waltaa
How old are the strings?

Put it this way, I bought it from my old chemistry teacher back in '06/'07.

He hadn't changed the strings since buying it. Neither have I.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Oh, so they're probably pretty rusty then. If they were just dirty I would have recommended boiling them like pasta for about 20 minutes.
As for the price of setting it up completely, I wouldn't know, as I do all that stuff myself. I think you should too, the internet is loaded with instructionals on that topic.
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
do you really need a pro to do it? I mean cleaning the fret board with a damp cloth can't take that much skill can it.

Fair enough if you've got the money (not really sure how much it would be but guessin they'd rip you off)
Quote by Lord Waltaa
Oh, so they're probably pretty rusty then. If they were just dirty I would have recommended boiling them like pasta for about 20 minutes.
As for the price of setting it up completely, I wouldn't know, as I do all that stuff myself. I think you should too, the internet is loaded with instructionals on that topic.

Actually, no, they're not - the glorious thing about elixirs is that they don't really deteriorate that quickly. The B is a little muffled, as is the D. It's something I guess I could live with, but I'd love a new set.

This is also the reason I can't boil them - the nanoweb coating wouldn't do well in boiling water. Also, I've boiled several sets in the past, and found the benefit was only temporary.

Yeah, I could do it myself. I do with my other basses, but as this is the only one I have with me, I don't want to screw it up - also, I'd love it to be perfect, and when I do it myself, there's always one little thing that pisses me off after I notice it.

Quote by Spaz91
You lazy, lazy, lazy bugger. Clean it yourself.

Cleaning basses is one of the things I enjoy for about 5 minutes, then get frustrated at all the bits I can't reach/need to remove to clean.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Last edited by ToolBass_dude at Aug 30, 2011,
The price of getting someone else to clean it will be more than a few pints down at the pub and the satisfaction of a job well done. If you take it in for a new set of strings and a clean/setup (the local guitar shop around he almost completely dismantle the guitars then put them back together) then you're looking around the £50 mark, including the cost of a 6 set of strings.

I doubt I can convince you but a trip to Stringbusters, a damp cloth and some treatment for the fretboard is the best course of action here.
Quote by Spaz91
The price of getting someone else to clean it will be more than a few pints down at the pub and the satisfaction of a job well done. If you take it in for a new set of strings and a clean/setup (the local guitar shop around he almost completely dismantle the guitars then put them back together) then you're looking around the £50 mark, including the cost of a 6 set of strings.

I doubt I can convince you but a trip to Stringbusters, a damp cloth and some treatment for the fretboard is the best course of action here.

...£50 for a 6 set AND setup?

That's cheaper than it'd cost me to buy the 6 direct from Elixir (and most shops around here have to do it that way too.)

It seems I'll end up being some kind of bass pariah if I don't do it myself, so I'll probably end up doing it. If it ****s up, I'll be a'comin to get ya. All of ya.

EDIT:

It seems stringbusters only charge £25 for a 6 set of Rotosounds. I've used them on all my other basses, but never on a 6. I guess we'll see.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Last edited by ToolBass_dude at Aug 30, 2011,