Hey,

I'm new to this section, so I don't know if the question is in the right place or not. If not, feel free to move.

Question is simple: When you ought to change your strings? I mean this pure theoretically. Just so I have a direction of how long (1 year, 3 years, 10 years?).

I searched this section for about 8 or 9 pages for an answer, but found nothing related or didn't search thorough enough..

Thanks in advance!
lalala
When you are no longer satisfied with the tone of the strings.

However, I personally love the sound of need-to-be-changed strings on an acoustic, so I keep them on for a long time. Usually, people change them somewhere between every 2-3 weeks.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Every couple of weeks for me, depends how much you play, they lose their tone after a while and the intonation is shot too.
Depends on how often you play. Every month, every three months, every six months... maybe once a year, like, if you barely play at all.
When you feel you need to. Quite a few people change them every week/month. Personally I don't change them until they start to rust.. which has been about 3 years. They feel nicer when changed though and will sound better. It depends on how much you can compromise on sound/feel/tone/cost.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I think I'll change them. Been almost 3 years and they are indeed starting to rust.
Thanks for the quick answers!
lalala
I usually change strings when one string breaks then i change all of them which is usually around 2-3 months. Unless the strings breaks within 2 weeks then i just change the 1 string.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by espal
Depends on how often you play. Every month, every three months, every six months... maybe once a year, like, if you barely play at all.

This is not true, no matter how much you play, if you use standard strings without any coat they won't sound and perform good after less than two months for sure.
Anyway if you use Elixirs (Especially Polywebs I think) you can keep them for like 2 months if you don't play all the day and don't live in high humidity area, and they'll still be fine but of course lose the "new strings tone"
I change mine every 2 weeks. I play a lot though. and I live in a high humidity area. I dont like the rust feel. Actually while we are on the rust topic, are there strings that dont rust as fast. The build up from the moisture happens very quickly on my strings. I use ernieball regualr slinkys .10s
Fender US Strat-Fender MX Strat-Fender US Tele-Epiphone Sheraton II>Cry Baby Wah-Boss TU3-Nano clean boost-Boss SD1-BBE Green Screamer-Mxr '78 Distortion-Visual Sound Chorus-Digitech Digi Delay-HardWire RV7 Reverb-Digitech Jamman>Fender Frontman 212R
I change mine when I begin to feel the dirt and dust from the strings, even after washing them. So every 4-5 weeks
if your playing every day, i keep my strings on schedule for every 2 weeks. usually before that they already start to rust or dull
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
To the people saying you keep them on till they rust, ****ing really? That is stupid. Every month or so is the limit if you play every day or every other day. Strings are not expensive so why would you not change them?
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by Didii
Hey,

I'm new to this section, so I don't know if the question is in the right place or not. If not, feel free to move.

Question is simple: When you ought to change your strings? I mean this pure theoretically. Just so I have a direction of how long (1 year, 3 years, 10 years?).

I searched this section for about 8 or 9 pages for an answer, but found nothing related or didn't search thorough enough..

Thanks in advance!

Change every month and a half or so. Don't wait a year haha, that's horrible. You should be able to tell. New strings tend to be more "bendy and "soft" when you play with them. Older strings should be more metallic and harder. And older strings don't ring and sound as good as newer strings.

Professional guitarists change their strings daily to keep their tone top notch.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by Jostry
Change every month and a half or so. Don't wait a year haha, that's horrible. You should be able to tell. New strings tend to be more "bendy and "soft" when you play with them. Older strings should be more metallic and harder. And older strings don't ring and sound as good as newer strings.

Professional guitarists change their strings daily to keep their tone top notch

Before every gig is more accurate.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Jostry

I should be able to tell yes, but it's the first time ever I change the strings on my guitar so I've never heard the difference between it. Now I've changed them aaaaand, it's quite a big difference

Thanks again for the reactions!
lalala