Good day!

I want to buy a new USA Deluxe Strat online, as most shops don't have exactly what I want / I don't want a display model / it's cheaper.

BUUUUUUUUT, is this a good idea? After setup a new strat is going to be the same as the next one isn't it? It ain't like the olden days.

OOOOOOOOr, am I being naive??

Anyone had any bad (or good) experiences buying top notch axes online?

Cheers
I bought all my guitars online, including a Gibson Explorer '76 ($1000+). Never had a problem, just make sure you are buying from a trusted shop.
I've never had a problem buying online, you just need to be careful. I never buy from anyone who doesn't have pics and specs for the guitar and I only ever buy from a retailer with a reputation I can look into.
if you go online shop never a problem, especially if you run through a well known distributor. if it is personal deal then be a little more careful. Ask for pics and get the serial number, verify the serial through online sites that do that kind of thing and make sure they document ANY blemishes. If they are shipping it make sure they know how to ship it correctly (link a youtube how to video about packing the guitar if necessary). Overall you will be fine in think, just double check everything and get your new Ax
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Fiancee's bro bought his PRS custom online. No problem at all. I guess it's exactly the same with buying anything of value off the internet - check the store, if it's dodgy, (or even looks so) try somewhere else.

Although many people have done it with no problems, if you are paranoid, I'd recommend getting it from the online department of a well known shop. It may be slightly more expensive, but there will be far more regulations/assurances.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Sorry, I should have mentioned. I'm definitely looking to buy new.

If it was second hand, I would definitely go try it out before hand!
Check the return policy. I have yet to play two things of anything (guitar, amp) of the same type which are exactly the same.

There is variation, so it is a bit of a gamble ordering online. Ofcourse, your chances are pretty good when ordering quality gear from a quality store.
WTLTL 2011
Any USA Fender is going to sound great and play very well after a setup, but with such a common model I'd play a bunch and pick a winner. Who cares if it's a display model? You can get a discount for buying one, and you'll end up with one you know is a better specimen. If you can't find one that's got some extra sonic mojo going on, then order online.
Quote by Roc8995
Any USA Fender is going to sound great and play very well after a setup, but with such a common model I'd play a bunch and pick a winner. Who cares if it's a display model? You can get a discount for buying one, and you'll end up with one you know is a better specimen. If you can't find one that's got some extra sonic mojo going on, then order online.

+1

From what I've heard and experienced with the variation in quality for new MIA strats I'd never buy one I haven't played yet. Not saying you'll get a terrible guitar, but you may get an OK one when you could have had a killer guitar had you tried a few out.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
When shopping online you need to be very familiar with what you are after. No matter what it is.

Also +1 to what Roc said. Instruments are kind of a special case because you can't try them out beforehand. I mean you could go try the same models out at a nearby store but they won't all play the same.

That said, I've had good success buying guitars and basses online from forum communities (TB and TGP). You can look at the history of the seller and see if they are sketchy. Though you'll almost always have to have the instrument set up because one persons set-up preferences are different than anothers.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Aug 30, 2011,
+1 to what Roc said from here to. I'm based in the UK, and tried quite a few PRS custom 22's before I settled on mine. They were all excellent, but all had a different feel, much more varied than I would have believed. I have bought cheaper guitars from the internet, and had one arrived broken, which was horrifying! It was a Cort Cl1500, not an expensive guitar but pretty hard to get hold of these days and I'd looked for ages. It was mainly the couriers fault, the guitar looked as if it had been droped on the strap button and it smashed it through the body (it was a hollow body). I have still yet to get a replacement, and the shop were good at refunding, but they point is, it doesn't matter how good the shop is - you are always taking a risk when the guitar is with a courier.