Hello UG.

I've seen a classified ad selling a Marshall Valvestate 1800 at 250€. As it's 100w and I need a good gigging amp at a good price, this caught my attention.

I've looked at several videos and it seems like it doesn't have much gain which is a shame, and I searched the forums and it has both negative (mostly) and positive feedback.

Anyway, I play metal almost exclusively. Brutal death metal, Bring Me The Horizon, hardcore punk (as in actual hardcore punk, not this metalcore / emo version) black metal, groove orientated metal, a very little metalcore, folk, power, symphonic... everything metal, really.

There are 2 types of sound I'd like to get from this amp;

1. A heavy, shattering, crisp distortion with lots of gain for death metal. Example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4XiJ7-_erg also the sound of The Wretched Spawn stuff, I think the description is pretty well understood.

2. A BMTH Count Your Blessings style guitar sound. Hard to describe, but I really like the way it has a lot of personality. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bEm3zEbFtc .

Also, of course, I want solos to sound good.

I use a Jackson DKMGT that has EMG 81 & 85 pups.

So, tell me what you can about this amplifier and whether it is worth it and if the price is good. I've asked the seller to go and try it out, so I WILL be trying it myself too.

Thank you.

(Oh, and I'm really sorry if you don't like the two songs I posted as an example. But please don't reply with comments regarding the songs or my musical interests. )
Last edited by Plagueheart at Aug 31, 2011,
I think you mean 8100, not 1800, but either way, it's not a good high-gain amp. It has all the gain you could ask for, but it just doesn't sound good. You can sometimes find them for dirt cheap, but I'd never spend 250€ on one.
its not a bad amp, but not a great one either.

Id take it for lead sounds if my guitar was equiped with X2N (love Schuldiners symbolic era leads). But for chugging - noo way, especially not for 250€.

On UKs ebay they float for less than 100£. Try scoring a similar deal if you still want this amp.

Other suggestions might be

Randall rg50tc
Peavey vypyr tube
Bugera

Just dont buy peavey Valveking, Valvestate (especially first round, the 8x00 series) are better at everything
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
You can definitely nail Chuck Schuldiner's tone with a guitar equipped with the Dimarzio X2N pickup. And if you can **** a Boss HM-2 into the clean channel, you can nail The Jester Race/Whoracle guitar tone of In Flames, as well as Dark Tranquility's The Gallery and The Mind's I tone.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
It's a horrible amp but will probably be nasty enough for death metal. Just don't try to play anything that needs a warm organic sound to it. If you want a tinny chainsaw then it's the amp for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok, I sort of knew it wouldn't be that good.

But anyway, what would a good price be for this amp preowned? Bare in mind that it includes a cabinet (not sure which, probably the standard one that comes with the head).

Maybe some other alternatives? I don't mind going used at all.
Quote by Cathbard
It's a horrible amp but will probably be nasty enough for death metal. Just don't try to play anything that needs a warm organic sound to it. If you want a tinny chainsaw then it's the amp for you.

they're not THAT bad as far as SS amps go. Sure, it doesn't sound like a tube amp but it has a distinct sound all its own. But yeah it definitely will give you the gothenburg like sound - you know, the distinct lack of low end.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 31, 2011,