Hi all

so this has probably been done to death but I am quite frankly too lazy to use the search bar and check everything that comes up...

so yeah, trying to spice up my soloing but caught in a bit of a dead end...just seems like I always end up with the same stuff, no matter what I do..

Was wondering if you guys were interested in sharing how you work on your solos and maybe any favourite licks of yours???
It's time you get more creative.

Play other music styles, force your creativity. Learn your favorite guitarist's masterpieces, and figure out how they accomplished to create a lick, or steal it. Train harder techniques, like sweep picking, and incorporate it in your soloing. LEARN MUSIC THEORY, so you can understand where the tonic, 3rd and 5th stay at, so you can easily make inverted arpeggios, and study scales, major and minor modes first, then you can go to the harmonized modes.
Learn someone elses licks. pick apart your favorite solos or if you hear a cool lick learn it. if you think you know all of your favorite artists' licks then try a different genre. classical music is deff a good place for licks so is jazz, shit ive taken licks from lady gaga tracks believe it or not. but the only way to get better is to learn.. by now youre most likely sounding the same because your go to scales and licks are engrained in your subconscious the only way out is to learn something new
Sing or come up with a melody in your head, then play that. Usually people let their fingers go on auto pilot. Try new keys or use positions you don't usually play around in.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Quote by luciat

so this has probably been done to death but I am quite frankly too lazy to use the search bar and check everything that comes up...

If you're too lazy to work, you're never going to get good at doing solos.

So my first advice to you is to stop being lazy.

I could give you a lot of advice ... but you're too lazy to take it, so why bother?
Don't be lazy, try what they all said already, also recording yourself. You are you own worst critic if you feel what you played was boring... change it! then record it again and repeat.
Make sure you have your rhythm down. Understand 8th notes and 16th notes etc.
Quote by HotspurJr
If you're too lazy to work, you're never going to get good at doing solos.

So my first advice to you is to stop being lazy.

I could give you a lot of advice ... but you're too lazy to take it, so why bother?

Ummm....I was talking about being too lazy to go through what comes up in a search thread, which, depending on the key words, will be loads of threads that probably have nothing to do with improving solos. This in turn will leave more time for actually playing the guitar, which is what will really help me building skills rather than reading. So there you go. I'm not lazy where it matters.
Quote by luciat
Ummm....I was talking about being too lazy to go through what comes up in a search thread, which, depending on the key words, will be loads of threads that probably have nothing to do with improving solos. This in turn will leave more time for actually playing the guitar, which is what will really help me building skills rather than reading. So there you go. I'm not lazy where it matters.

Playing guitar is not all about "playing". Knowledge of your instrument is just as important if not more (and i don't me neck, body, bridge ect... i mean know how to use it scales, chords, styles ect...). If you want to "improve soloing" it's not just technique. To solo you have to know the who what where when why and how of you want to play it. There is no short cut, to be a good player you got to do it all practice, research, play blah blah blah. To bad its not like the Sims but if it were everyone would be a Rockstar!