'ello everyone. I'm 22 and from Sweden! (I've to apologize for my bad english before I start writing everything down!)

I've been playing guitar for about 1 and a half year now (I played some when I was 15). I pick up my axe (an LTD EC 256) almost every day and tend to play some hours when I've the time. While I'm not the greatest player in the world, I really like to play that damn thing.

Here's the deal, I can play basic songs by Nirvana, Cream, Sabbath and so on. I enjoy it from time to time, but I rather spend my time trying to figure out my own riffs and stuff. My greatest influence is Paul Leary from the Butthole Surfers. The solo in 22 going to 23 is the best damn &&%€€# solo I've ever heard.. and my goal is to be able to dish out those kinds of solo's aswell.

I dont want to become a god. I just want to be able to.. yeah, improvise psychedelic riffs and solo's.. by myself.

I'm stuck right now. With everything..

Where should I start? I'm pretty fast with the fingers, I know some basic scales.. I HAVE the ability to do/become this. But some guidelines what to work and study on would be AWESOME. I know that some really good guitarists lurk here. Please help!
Last edited by Mr. Swamp at Aug 30, 2011,
Just play the songs you like gradually increasing difficulty.

Practice technique when necessary, and most important: play AT LEAST once every 2 days.
If you're having trouble guiding your own path, you should acquire a teacher: this is what they are useful for.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Thanks for the input Zeletros!

Quote by HotspurJr
Develop your ear.

Aye, sounds like a plan.. but, what should I focus on - how do I develop my ear?

If you're having trouble guiding your own path, you should acquire a teacher: this is what they are useful for.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that for a long time.. but I can't really afford it right now.

Again, thanks!
Last edited by Mr. Swamp at Aug 30, 2011,
Quote by Mr. Swamp

Aye, sounds like a plan.. but, what should I focus on - how do I develop my ear?

Try to transcribe songs by listening to them. Start simple and go farther as you get better. If you're not already tuning your guitar by ear, now's the time to start. It'll get you thinking about sounds and what's on/off.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by Mr. Swamp
Thanks for the input Zeletros!

Keith Wyatt has an excellent book called "Ear Training for the Contemporary Musician." You might want to supplement it with some free online resources (I like trainear.com and the functional ear trainer at Miles.Be).