I had my mind set on the S5470F Prestige, and the ONLY problem I could find was the sustain: it litteraly just drops dead after a sec. But the fast neck and thin body and all that is perfect for me. So it plays great, but has no sustain. I have read somewhere that Ibanez released a newer version where the (common) sustain problem was fixed, but I beg te differ.

Is there ANYTHING you can do about this sustain problem? New pickups? I was going to replace the pickups anyway with Bareknuckle Painkillers even if the sustain was great, but would this make the sustain better? If not, what would?

And if the sustain cant be fixed, should i buy another guitar? I mean, I play thrash metal, wich normally is fast solo's, but i'm not a douche shredder like herman li (i know that he doesnt play thrash, but i just use him as an example of a douche shredder) and some sustain is always good. I want at least enough sustain for lets say the 'second' solo in Tread The Floods by Trivium (so you have the fast solo first, and then comes the solo with notes that ring longer. its not the second solo, but you know what i mean if you listen to the song).

what would be a good (hard rock/metal) guitar for me if this sustain thing cant be fixed? must have: Floating Bridge, 24 frets, fast neck (so at least thin and with a finish that is smooth), jumbo frets, at least 2 humbuckers (dont mind if there is a middle pickup), NO basswood anywhere in the guitar. Price range: max 1800 euros (2600 USD). I live in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. as i said, i play (mainly) thrash metal (i'm a lead guitarist in a band), but i'm planning on going to a conservatory, so a bit of an more versitale guitar (such as the S5470F, wich is metal based, but can do other stuff too in my opinion) would be nice.
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Check the action on the instrument, having it set way too low can kill sustain faster than anything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well, i cant check that now, because the guitar is in a shop, and i am at home, but i'll go check this week.
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Raise your action a bit, put in pickups with weaker magnets (alnico 2, 3, 4, or 5 instead of ceramic. Like day add alnico2 neck and m iddle pickups and an a5 bridge). See if FloydUpgrades has a replacement brass block for the bridge,
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
i have sent an email to FU.com with the question what i should buy for this guitar to make the sustain last longer.

and the Painkillers from BKP are ceramic, but almost all other humbuckers are alnico, so i'll look into them.
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by bartnijman at Aug 30, 2011,
Tim, from BKP, suggest i go with Aftermaths, the bridge is ceramic, but the neck is alnico V.

Description of the Afthermats:

"Accelerated bass response for exceptionally fast tracking of high-speed staccato riffing with crushing mid range and precise high-end articulation; perfect for the modern metal guitarist.

The Aftermath humbucker features a symmetrically hand-wound twin screw coil design and is powered by 3 custom size ceramic magnets. The bottom-end responds quickly to pick attack and tracks fast riffing extremely accurately, mids are focused and intense for ultimate punch no matter how dense the mix or how low the tuning and highs are precise and articulate. With a more compressed dynamic, single notes have masses of sustain while the front of the note is clear-cut and defined even under extreme amounts of gain.

The Aftermath neck humbucker is Alnico V powered and voiced for fat, powerful clean tones, fluid vocal-like sustain when driven hard and good balance with the bridge humbucker.

As with all Bare Knuckle humbuckers, 4 conductor hook-up not only allows access to standard series (humbucking) tone but also parallel wiring (still hum cancelling) or selection of either individual coil for total versatility."
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by bartnijman at Aug 30, 2011,
Quote by bartnijman
Tim, from BKP, suggest i go with Aftermaths, the bridge is ceramic, but the neck is alnico V.

Description of the Afthermats:

"Accelerated bass response for exceptionally fast tracking of high-speed staccato riffing with crushing mid range and precise high-end articulation; perfect for the modern metal guitarist.

The Aftermath humbucker features a symmetrically hand-wound twin screw coil design and is powered by 3 custom size ceramic magnets. The bottom-end responds quickly to pick attack and tracks fast riffing extremely accurately, mids are focused and intense for ultimate punch no matter how dense the mix or how low the tuning and highs are precise and articulate. With a more compressed dynamic, single notes have masses of sustain while the front of the note is clear-cut and defined even under extreme amounts of gain.

The Aftermath neck humbucker is Alnico V powered and voiced for fat, powerful clean tones, fluid vocal-like sustain when driven hard and good balance with the bridge humbucker.

As with all Bare Knuckle humbuckers, 4 conductor hook-up not only allows access to standard series (humbucking) tone but also parallel wiring (still hum cancelling) or selection of either individual coil for total versatility."

+1. Id still upgrade the block though.
I've heard of this model having sustain problems before, i think it's the pickups. People have said that all 3 being high output really kills sustain.
To be honest if you're going for BKPs then you can't really go wrong, their whole line has nothing but absolutely glowing reviews and some incredible sounding clips out there.

Tell me though, do you have sustain issues with any other instrument?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
But tbf - thin body+bolt on neck+floating zr2 trem with a massive hole in the back of the guitar+3 pickups exerting a lot of magnetic pull on the strings= crappy sustain
Quote by gman128
But tbf - thin body+bolt on neck+floating zr2 trem with a massive hole in the back of the guitar+3 pickups exerting a lot of magnetic pull on the strings= crappy sustain

Not neccesarily, I have absolutely no sustain issues with my S470 and that's pretty much the same just lower quality so in theory it should have worse sustain.

Oh, TS might also want to adjust the pickup height, pickups being too close to the strings can hurt sustain.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not neccesarily, I have absolutely no sustain issues with my S470 and that's pretty much the same just lower quality so in theory it should have worse sustain.

I've played s470/670 s before and i think that the infinity pickups don't have such strong mags, either way, your suggestion of pickup height is an excellent one, because high output passives really stop a string vibrating freely if raised too high.
The middle pickup is supposed to be some rare earth magnet pickup and is supposedly the cause of the sustain loss. I have an S5470SOL and I have removed that pickup and replaced with an IBZ/USA C3 from my other Ibby, and I don't have any sustain problem. The magnets on that pickup are ridiculously strong.

Another thing I did, and others do as well, is to remove the ZPS bar from the tremolo block, because it can rob sustain as well. I just removed it completely, took about 30 seconds.
Still, with the Aftermaths having 3 magnet construction, with the bridge being ceramic, I think it would just create more string pull than you already have. I'd go with some creatively wound lower output pickups. An A5 Nailbomb set rules...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Ok, to summarise:

- new pickups, also the middle pickup according to 'W4RP1G'
- sustain block from floydupgrade.com
- pickups lower
- remove ZPS from tremolo block (but i'm going to remove the block...)

and to answer the question if i had problems before: no. i have seconds of sustain with crappy dean vendetta 1.f (180 euros) and a line6 spider iv, set at a very low volume, and not tons of gain, so....
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ