Page 1 of 2
I was just wondering how long it took before you considered yourself a good player by your own standards. Ive been playing for about 15 months now and i would just about class myself as a good players.

Obviously your standards change over time. The second i listened to paul gilbert i went from being a decent player to a shoddy one. Also in 10 years i will probably look back at my playing now and laugh that i thought i was good.
I consider myself not bad, I'll consider myself to be good in about 5 years perhaps.
Been playing 7-8 years. I still think I suck pretty hard but I'm better than I was which is, really, the important part.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Its all relative -
I used to think i was good (playing 6 years now) but i've recently taken myself back to square one. I thought that because i could play some nice licks, do some tapping, had nice vibrato and know enough to do some decent lead that i was good. But i've tried to do some blues stuff lately and decided i suck, so i've just printed off some blues shapes, some maj7/min7 arpeggio shapes, and putting on the old blues stuff to learn all over again.

But most people i jam with say im a good player. But if i went and played with my guitar teacher, he'd piss all over me.

I think the moment you're good is when you can put any record on, and fit nicely into the song with you're own playing - regardless of what genre.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Last edited by W4T3V3R at Aug 30, 2011,
I consider myself good, but not as in "I have chops", but as in "can play well enough to please an audience". I will second User_name336's post though. It's not really something to generalize as it is how good you are compared to how good you used to be (at least, to me it is).
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Been playing 7-8 years. I still think I suck pretty hard but I'm better than I was which is, really, the important part.

thats the beauty of it

as long as you progress it doesnt matter how good you think you are
I started considering myself good when I could play the songs that I liked and have them sound good.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Nice Thread.
i constantly ask myself the same question. ive been playing for 2-5 hours a day for 12 months after a 2 year break (which i regret) and i can play some nice licks and i figure that my my technique isnt bad so i consider myself a decent player.

but ive never really practised shredding so im not super speedy (Snow by RHCP or the 3rd November Rain Solo by GnR is as fast as i am capable of) but i do not intend to practise shredding properly as i do not think that running up and down the scales as quickly as possible with a bit of distortion is music so it doesnt impress me.

I will consider myself as good when i learn theory and i can properly improvise to the blues, write nice classic rock solos that dont only run up and down 2 or 3 scale positions and when i can perfectly express myself in my music.

i will consider myself great when john frusciante tells me that i am, ive sold 10 million albums worldwide, ive created my own unique style and i am still pushing myself to improve. (so most likely i will never be great but i can hope)!!!!

i hope i helped!
No matter how good i am, thats still not good enough
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by mrbabo91
thats the beauty of it

as long as you progress it doesnt matter how good you think you are

I explained it to a friend of mine who's just taking up the instrument the other day a bit like this:

"It doesn't matter how good you are, the second you get to where you wanted to be a while ago you find that some bastard has gone and moved the goalposts"

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm 2+ years in and I still don't consider myself good, because I am unable to play what I want to play. When I'll have the abilities to play the kind of music that I like, then I'll consider myself good. FU Petrucci and your solo's!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I explained it to a friend of mine who's just taking up the instrument the other day a bit like this:

"It doesn't matter how good you are, the second you get to where you wanted to be a while ago you find that some bastard has gone and moved the goalposts"

Brilliant quote

When i first picked up the guitar i thought i would never be able to play the trooper by iron maiden, i thought i would be a guitar god if i could play that.

I now warm up with it and play the riff in about 10 different positions and yet i still think i suck
I've been playing about 8 years. I'm terrible.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Relative to my own standards for what I'd like to play and how cleanly I can execute some of the things that I do play, I'm never good enough. I often find myself being complimented by people when from my own perspective I clearly did not cleanly execute a good portion of what I was trying to do. It's interesting when a musician is more aware of their own mistakes than their audience is - and when their audience is like "that was amazing!".
I don't think I'm bad, I don't struggle to improvise anymore, I am capable of playing (for the most part) what I hear in my own head and I can fit in to most any band situation. I've always had an excellent ear and writing songs is like second nature. That said, the moment I become totally complacent and comfortable in my abilities is the day that I am no longer alive but that doesn't detract from my confidence in what and how I play.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by User_Name336
i've been playing for 6-8 years. i still dont consider myself good. the second i classify myself as good is the second i'll stop striving to become better. so i constantly view my playing as "good enough" or "acceptable".

what he said o.O
I remember when I used to think I was good, mainly because many other musicians have said so, and even looking back, I was surprised at how far I progressed. I never imagined myself ever getting to such a level to be considered "good", especially by other people, and doing any of the things that I could do at the time.

After that though, I stopped progressing, and hit a plateau. Why? Because I thought I was good, so I was content with my playing, so I guess subconsciously I thought I didn't need to improve, which really messed with my progression.

My advice to you (kind of unrelated but I think you should know this), is to always try to find flaws with your playing. Do you know the notes on the fretboard? Why not? Can you play all of your fast licks picked, and not pulling off and hammering on? Why not. Is your rhythm perfect, 100% of the time? Why not? And so on.

It's good to have confidence in your playing, but at the same time it's good to be humble.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Aug 30, 2011,
been involved with music for 3.5 years. my guitar technique is pretty good, but not godly. i'm very familiar with music notation, can play several other instruments, know enough theory to write a textbook, have an extremely well-trained ear, and am familiar with idioms from nearly all styles of music.

this is not even close to where i want to be, let's put it that way.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
The second I started learning Erotomania by Dream Theater.

Even the starting of the song before the first solo (which, admittedly, is really just simple chromatics) is harder than anything I've played.
You are the biggest critic of them all for yourself, you are the most picky to yourself, you are the most discouraging to yourself. I guarantee you Stevie Ray Vaughan, or Jimi Hendrix didn't consider themselves great, You will always be the person who thinks the worst of yourself.
Guitarist & Bassist
That depends. How long did it take for me to objectively be very proficient with the instrument, or how long did it take for me to get over the inaccurate modesty to admit it?

I'd say about five years in either case, then.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Last edited by Dayn at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by Asa Carter
You are the biggest critic of them all for yourself, you are the most picky to yourself, you are the most discouraging to yourself. I guarantee you Stevie Ray Vaughan, or Jimi Hendrix didn't consider themselves great, You will always be the person who thinks the worst of yourself.

i think thats what makes you improve, if you think you suck you are more likely to focus on practice and eventually will get better. of course you dont have to expect to be good as petrucci in just a few years...
man... Im so jealous of these cats who are talking about practicing 2+ hours a day.

I probably get about 3-4 hours of practice time Mon-Fri. A 3 hour jam on a Thur night and another 4-5 hours of practice on weekends give or take. Im 38 and have a high pressure job, 2 kids, a new 2nd wife and the time crunch is a challenge.

I just try to get 20 minutes to play every chance I can, even if its just some scales or chords.

I suck, Ive only been playing about a year on electric and a year before that on electric. BUT it seems every month or so Im playing a little better and better and the guys I play with all say Im great for the amount of time Ive been playing.

I just love playing and want to express and play the notes in my head. I just cant and it gets frustrating, but Im definatly getting closer. A LOT closer. Im also enjoying the journey of learning to play. Incredibly rewarding.
he of tranquil mind
I've been playing for about 30 years...I let you know when I think I'm good.

Truth is, I know I play well, but I doubt that I'll ever achieve the level of ability that I want. But that's one of the cool things about guitar/music. If you could master it completely, it probably wouldn't be as much fun. Kind of like a video game; once you beat it, it's not such a big deal anymore. For me the challenge of learning something new, whether it's a new lick or writing a new song, is what keeps me motivated to keep playing and getting better.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
I've been playing for around 12 years. I thought my playing was total garbage for 7 years. It wasn't until about 5 or 6 years ago that I actually started getting "better." Once I started putting in 3-4 hours a day I noticed huge improvements. Lately I've been back around 2 hours, intermittently. I never play around other people- in fact if anyone is within earshot I won't even pick up a guitar. That's been a huge barrier. I get extremely angry when people say "OH you play the guitar? Can you play [insert boring song everyone knows]"

Like everyone else, I have good days and bad days. Ask me on a bad day, and I'll be harshly critical about my own playing. On a good day, I'll probably say "I'm getting there."
Last edited by CV334 at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by maker's marked

Truth is, I know I play well, but I doubt that I'll ever achieve the level of ability that I want. But that's one of the cool things about guitar/music. If you could master it completely, it probably wouldn't be as much fun. Kind of like a video game; once you beat it, it's not such a big deal anymore. For me the challenge of learning something new, whether it's a new lick or writing a new song, is what keeps me motivated to keep playing and getting better.

I totally agree. "Good" is a dynamic goal. Your definition of "good" changes based on the skill you're trying to master at the moment.
Quote by maker's marked

Speak for yourself, I still play games from 1994 that I've finished more times than I can count

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Yep, this is me too.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I've played for about 5 years and I don't think I'm really good, but I'm decent.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
5 years in. I am capable of shredding cleanly at modest speeds (maybe up to 180-200 bpm) and have been doing nothing but working on techniques. I also have all the notes on the fretboard down, understand scale shapes from anywhere, know a lot about theory, can play a lot of jazzy stuff (even on the fly), and have a decent ear (great sounding lead phrases with smooth voicing, good improv chord progression). A lot of people consider me to be very good

All this being said, I am never satisfied with my playing and I only want to be better. To call myself good now, would be to be satisfied. And satisfaction would mean I'm content.

So no, I suck.
Quote by hr113
No matter how good i am, thats still not good enough

+1

Been playing 15 years and thats always been the case.

Having said that, I identify that i am improving by listening back to recordings of my practice sessions, especially my improv. In the moment I always think the stuff I'm playing could be much better, listening to recordings i'll at least occassionally think "thats sounding good".

I don't begrudge myself in a negative way at all (i.e I'm not angry with myself or anything like that), i just use it as a form of motivation to practice harder and push through the limitations we tend to put on ourselves.

I'm pretty honest in identifying areas i struggle.
Quote by maker's marked

Pretty sure thats the best post i've ever read on here. Thats a great outlook.
I consider myself a 'good but not great' player in that I can play most of the songs I want to play from tabs and chord charts. My guitar teacher thinks I'm doing well so that's always good.
I'll consider myself to be good once I can improvise in all tonal music. Couple of months probably since I've been playing a lot lately. My goal is to be able to improvise wisely in most keys by the end of October. Long hard road, but it's something that I must be able to do. If I don't make it quite by then, oh well. I still tried to get there.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
A lot of people here are saying that they don't think of themselves as good and that if they did, they'd stop trying. To quote Schopenhauer: "With people of limited ability, modesty is merely honesty. But with those who possess great talent, it is hypocrisy."
In my opinion, it's always good to know what level you're performing at and just because you are good, doesn't mean you can't be better. I consider myself a good guitarist, I know I don't suck, but I also know that I'm not the best that I can be, and I want to get better.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
A lot of people here are saying that they don't think of themselves as good and that if they did, they'd stop trying. To quote Schopenhauer: "With people of limited ability, modesty is merely honesty. But with those who possess great talent, it is hypocrisy."
In my opinion, it's always good to know what level you're performing at and just because you are good, doesn't mean you can't be better. I consider myself a good guitarist, I know I don't suck, but I also know that I'm not the best that I can be, and I want to get better.

I'm not one of those. I know where I stand. I'm damn good technically, but my musical knowledge and ability to play in unusual keys needs work. Like playing in the flat keys. Blegh. Who usually plays in those keys on guitar in standard tuning anyways? Has to be done.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Page 1 of 2