Poll: Thoughts?
Poll Options
View poll results: Thoughts?
I have no issues with it, as long as it is not apparent in the music
32 16%
I have no issues with it whatsoever: music is music.
74 37%
I have a problem with it, but can enjoy the music if it is not in the music
65 33%
I have a problem with it even if it isn't in the music.
29 15%
Voters: 200.
Page 1 of 3
Hey Pit, I searchbarred, and found one thread that was related, but this is a development on it which it did not take into account. Also, I put this here because this is more political than it is music-related.

So, I was watching a few reviews online: namely of Burzum and Disma. Admittedly, I like the music from both to a point, however, I am aware that Varg from Burzum is a racist, and so is the lead vocalist from Disma. Both bands have included it in their music, though it is not particularly apparent in Craig Pillard's (Disma) work.

So; would this bother you if a person was racist, or a murderer, or a sex offender and such? Furthermore, if the answer is no, how do you feel about it if they put their views in their lyrics, even if you like the music? Can you see through it, or does it bother you?

Personally, it does bother me. Especially if it is in the music, but even when it isn't to a point.

What about you?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 30, 2011,
No.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I listen to Cliff Richard all the time, and he's a racist, psychotic drug addled rapist, currently serving 6-10 in a maximum security jail on the outskirts of Limerick.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
It doesn't bother me at all. Of course I'll take a stance against nazism whenever needed, but as long as the bands don't walk around screaming things about killing jews and wearing svastikas, I'll listen to them if the music attracts me.
I don't listen to Megadeth because Dave Mustaine is a dick.

But also because they've only written like 4 or 5 good songs.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Not really, some of the NSBM stuff makes me a bit uncomfortable but I don't like black metal anyway.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Lot's of no's. Fair enough. It came from reading some Burzum lyrics: once I saw it, I just couldn't enjoy the music. I can understand why you would seperate the two things.

Quote by So-Cal
yeah, if the musician is a dick then i don't listen to their music.

I don't listen to music.

I was referring more to people singing about things like "the holocaust was a good thing". I can enjoy Disma and such as it isn't present much, but a part of me will always think "this guy hates _____" and such when I hear it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
yeah, if the musician is a dick then i don't listen to their music.

I don't listen to music.
I think that I can be put off the music if the band members seem like dicks.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by dann_blood
I don't listen to Megadeth because Dave Mustaine is a dick.

But also because they've only written like 4 or 5 good songs.

You're being real generous with a number like 5.

It would bother me though. It's like being forced to be around someone you know hates you and is outspoken about how much they hate you in a public forum; obviously you can remove yourself from contact with racist Metal, no matter how ironic the genre name, but it's still there and it's uncomfortable even if it's not present in the music. Ignorance is bliss is probably the best phrase with this subject.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>

Have you ever actually listened to the Peace Sells or Rust in Peace albums?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I can't be unaffected by something like that. It doesn't carry a lot of importance, but it still influences how I perceive the music. I'm sure a lot of people associate the new, Slash-less GNR with Axl's dipshit attitude, or U2 with Bono's stupid arrogant face. And it extends beyond these notorious assholes. If John Petrucci, for instance, turned out to be a racist, murdering, sex offending prick, of course I'd also have a more difficult time enjoying his music. Thankfully, that's not the case.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
It depends, sometimes it lets you see a different perspective and that can be really cool. But if I don't agree with them on something they say in the song then I don't really like it usually. But if they just are a racist, rapist, or something else I don't like and don't sing about anything about it then I don't care.
Quote by sonny bb

It would bother me though. It's like being forced to be around someone you know hates you and is outspoken about how much they hate you in a public forum; obviously you can remove yourself from contact with racist Metal, no matter how ironic the genre name, but it's still there and it's uncomfortable even if it's not present in the music. Ignorance is bliss is probably the best phrase with this subject.

hates you? maybe they disagree with your opinion, but I think "hates you" is a pretty strong term to use there.

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold's conservative political views, but I like their music so I keep listening to it.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I have no issues with it.

If writer has displayed his views in a song, that might help me understand his/hers motives.

if its just random babling like 'kill christians/jews/black people etc." then i just treat it like a regular brutal death metal song about guts, zombies, necrophilia etc.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by turtlewax
Have you ever actually listened to the Peace Sells or Rust in Peace albums?

I've listened to songs off the albums, but I just don't dig it. I can't argue that they are bad musicians, I don't like Dave's voice at ALL, but the songs just blend together and sound the same to me. But that's just me.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
I would have a tough time buying their CD's, or concert tickets. For example Im going to see Kyuss in less than a month and I would hate it if that wife-beating psycho Nick Oliveri ended up playing (he might not though) knowing that I'm helping him support his dysfunctional lifestyle..
i don't listen to bands like asking alexandria and bring me the horizon because they're all dicks.

and, you know, their music is terrible too.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I like Burzum, Grand Belials Key, Dimsa, Arghoslent and a few others, so I really don't mind it.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
How close minded can you be? If you have a problem with listening to someone's beliefs then that just shows how ready you are to change your own views. I have absolutely no problem listening to any kind of lyrics as long as the music is enjoyable. It's good to have different kind of points of view. For example, I like to listen to a lot of black metal. I don't approve of their philosophy but I can respect their thoughts and understand the message they're trying to get through. I don't have a problem listening to religious artists either.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Nah. I love Burzum and Wagner.

If a film or novel or something promoted racism or something, I probably couldn't enjoy it, but music doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the composer's morals, and even if there's a message it's usually secondary to whatever's going on musically. Although Varg is clearly a raving fuck, so I kind of have to listen to Burzum as if they were outsider art.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 30, 2011,
Quote by fearofthemark

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold's conservative political views, but I like their music so I keep listening to it.

This.
cat
I have more of a problem if the musician(s) is an asshole than bad political/religious beliefs.

Even though it's not music, I like Clint Eastwood a lot. Movies like The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and Gran Torino. I was disappointed to hear he's a big republican and huge Sarah Palin supporter, but eh. All of us have some silly beliefs somewhere, and I doubt I'm an exception.

I don't really know about the political or religious beliefs of the musicians I like, but I'd be more upset to find out they're cynical assholes.

Take The Beatles. I LOVE the Beatles. But I am kind of turned off when I read John Lennon interviews, like his last one with Playboy. He seemed so bitter and cynical about everything in his life (excluding Yoko).
Quote by Flibo
How close minded can you be? If you have a problem with listening to someone's beliefs then that just shows how ready you are to change your own views. I have absolutely no problem listening to any kind of lyrics as long as the music is enjoyable. It's good to have different kind of points of view. For example, I like to listen to a lot of black metal. I don't approve of their philosophy but I can respect their thoughts and understand the message they're trying to get through. I don't have a problem listening to religious artists either.

I can respect someones belief even if they are neo-nazi's but I still strongly disagree with it: if it is in their music, it makes it hard to enjoy for me. When I made this thread, I had hatred towards others in mind, not people who are right wing when I am left (or vice-versa) like
Quote by fearofthemark

I mean in extremes of beliefs such as lyrics about mass genocide of say, Jewish people (not that I have seen that in Burzum lyrics, but I have seen it in some bands lyrics). I don't mean just "Y U NO BELIEVE WHAT I DO???", I mean people who have very aggresive or hateful beliefs. Imagine, say, the WBC releasing an album

I suppose it is closed minded of me in a way, but the way they put across their beliefs in lyrics are fairly colourful, and I find it hard to appreicate. Maybe I am wrong for letting that get in the way. I probably am. It's interesting to hear what people think anyhow.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
No, I hardly ever come face to face with any musicans views and shit and I don't care really as long as it's good.

When I was at Alexisonfire last year Wade was saying "alot of people have been saying that our band is a bunch of secretive christians" before they played The Northern, and he denied that, so alot of people must've been calling them out on it or some shiz I guess.

I was on a tram yesterday too and this girl was on the phone saying that 'Noone listens to Chris Brown, cause he beats girls.', so to me I think that she likes his music but she does not like him as a person, because I'd have just said he makes crap music which is why he is unlistenable.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Banjocal

I mean in extremes of beliefs such as lyrics about mass genocide of say, Jewish people (not that I have seen that in Burzum lyrics, but I have seen it in some bands lyrics). I don't mean just "Y U NO BELIEVE WHAT I DO???", I mean people who have very aggresive or hateful beliefs. Imagine, say, the WBC releasing an album

I suppose it is closed minded of me in a way, but the way they put across their beliefs in lyrics are fairly colourful, and I find it hard to appreicate. Maybe I am wrong for letting that get in the way. I probably am. It's interesting to hear what people think anyhow.

Oh, usually I assume that people who actually hold beliefs like that in their hearts have the intelligence of a brick, so then I know it's probably not worth my time, or it's a gimmick, then I'd give it maybe 20-30 seconds on YouTube.
yo.

I BELIEVE
I hate any song that is about going to a party and getting drunk or any stupid shit like that. I just hate pop in general. Making a 3 minute song that is purposely dumbed down for the masses to enjoy makes me beyond sick. Other than that, I listen to satanic music and shit like Cannibal Corpse, so I'm ok with that. I know that shit is mostly intended for shock value/ joke purposes and the music is usually still really intricate.
I think it's difficult. I want to be able to enjoy music for simply the music it is rather than who made it, but at the same time I don't really want to actively support people I feel strongly against.

What I mean is you can like music without liking the creator, but even if you like the music just for the music if you support that then you are indirectly supporting them.

DMX and Morrissey are both complete cocks and yet I do enjoy their music.
Quote by Banjocal
Lot's of no's. Fair enough. It came from reading some Burzum lyrics: once I saw it, I just couldn't enjoy the music.

What lyrics specifically?
no.

If the author feels strongly about some subject and that reflects in his/her music the sweeter the music is to my ears.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Jon Nödtveidt was a satanist. But I still love Dissection's music. Reinkaos' lyrics are solely based on the religious books of his sect (called Temple of the Black Light), and it's one of my favorite albums of all time. I'm not near being a satanist, nor do I want to be.
Quote by JohnSmith85
I hate any song that is about going to a party and getting drunk or any stupid shit like that. I just hate pop in general. Making a 3 minute song that is purposely dumbed down for the masses to enjoy makes me beyond sick. Other than that, I listen to satanic music and shit like Cannibal Corpse, so I'm ok with that. I know that shit is mostly intended for shock value/ joke purposes and the music is usually still really intricate.

lol
Page 1 of 3