Hey guys...i just want to start off by saying that like you all im in love with music and picked up the guitar because of my love for blink 182..but now i play greenday and nofx aswell, anddd yeh i just luv playing.been playing for about a year and a half and yeh.

i have a few questions...firstly...

1) Can someone please give me a quick lesson on wat scales actually are...wat it meens to change ur tuning..etc drop d tuning and all that because ive played in standard tuning this whole time, so wat does it meen to change the tuning and how wud i go about doing it and what are the benefits of it.

2) right now my playing is at a level wer all i play is power chords and just playing sum tabs like goodriddance by greenday..I luv playing the start of the song or johnyy apleseed by nofx etc. BUT im just wondering how important it is to learn proper chords?? i dont like laying them i find that when playing them i accidently mute sum strings and thats reall annoying.

3) this one goes to the more accomplished guitarists...if i came up to u on the street and i tolf u i can play all these blink 182 songs and greenday songs that involve power chords..wud u laugh in my face and tell me i have no skill at all..honest asnwer please? dw my luv for the guitar conquers any critisicm i may get

and thanks ill be posting later on wen i find more questions
thanks in advance.
1) Anything theory related: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons . Start from the beginning on anything you don't know and slowly work your way up.
Drop D means you take the low E and tune it down to D (so it's called drop D). That means you can play power chords with one finger. Different tunings are used to make playing songs easier that would be hard or impossible on standard tuning. You just use a tuner and tune your strings accordingly.

2) If you can't learn simple chords you'll never become an accomplished guitarist. Don't be lazy. Learn them until you can play them.

3) I would find you obnoxious and it's not something you tell random people in the middle of the street. It's like saying "I can read a newspaper". Don't take that as an insult but it's not something you should feel massively accomplished over.

Any other questions: google them, youtube them and wiki them.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by deputydoodoo
1) Can someone please give me a quick lesson on wat scales actually are...wat it meens to change ur tuning..etc drop d tuning and all that because ive played in standard tuning this whole time, so wat does it meen to change the tuning and how wud i go about doing it and what are the benefits of it.

Scales are just a collection of notes that sound good together. If you want to learn some music theory, take a look at: http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/
As for changing tuning, being in a different tuning allows you to play different things, e.g. by giving you access to lower notes or changing the relationship between the pitch of your strings.

2) right now my playing is at a level wer all i play is power chords and just playing sum tabs like goodriddance by greenday..I luv playing the start of the song or johnyy apleseed by nofx etc. BUT im just wondering how important it is to learn proper chords?? i dont like laying them i find that when playing them i accidently mute sum strings and thats reall annoying.

I'll probably get a lot of disagreement here but I wouldn't bother learning chords if you're not going to use them. I learned chords as they came up. However, it is a good idea to learn chord construction.

3) this one goes to the more accomplished guitarists...if i came up to u on the street and i tolf u i can play all these blink 182 songs and greenday songs that involve power chords..wud u laugh in my face and tell me i have no skill at all..honest asnwer please? dw my luv for the guitar conquers any critisicm i may get

I'd smile politely and nod at you because I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings, haha. I wouldn't be impressed because that kind of stuff is very easy to play but if that's what you want to play, then go ahead and play it.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
first i'll answer question 3, im a nice guy and i assume most people are so i dont think that many people would laugh at you but power chords arent something to show of to an experienced guitarist, maybe to a girl who doesnt play the guitar and hasnt seen what the guitar can do. but keep on practising and dont let other people put you down and be proud of what youve achieved. all that matters is that you are better than you used to be and youll slowly improve and become a good player.

if you're a girl by any chance then a girl that can play any sort of chords turns guys on! Lol
1.) All the material you need, is in the LESSONS section. What you want to learn will be in there. All drop D tunning is your Low E string tuned down 1 full step to D, your other strings will be in standard, i.e: ADGBe.
Standard - Down 1 full step on all strings would be: DGCFAd or known as D Standard tuning. All of this is in the Lessons section.

2.) Power chords are fine and dandy, and you can do a ton of things with them, but learning the basics and technique will help you out tremendously.

3.) No, would not laugh, but feel you are at a somewhat beginner level. Everybody I know, including me have started out using power chords. Practice and patience is the key. Just learn as much as you can from the basics and go from there, and when your done learning basics move on to something else.
2) right now my playing is at a level wer all i play is power chords and just playing sum tabs like goodriddance by greenday..I luv playing the start of the song or johnyy apleseed by nofx etc. BUT im just wondering how important it is to learn proper chords?? i dont like laying them i find that when playing them i accidently mute sum strings and thats reall annoying.QUOTE]

learning chord construction is probably more important for someone of you level than scales but once you start writing your own songs you should definately learn about keys and scales.

the answers for question 1 are already quite clear so i wont bother
Quote by deputydoodoo

Unlike Aleksi I would say it's quite important, it gives you a good basis of finger strength and knowledge to work from, plus if you know a bunch of the open chords there's literally thousands of songs you can play with just those. It's all very well and good pushing yourself technically but if you can't play any music it's pointless right? And the open chords are the quickest way of getting from being unable to do anything to playing some really well known songs.

I will reaffirm, though, that you should definitely be learning the theory behind everything you do eventually; if you don't understand something then what use is it, right?

Quote by deputydoodoo

No, no one whose opinion matters would. Besides, what does someone elses opinion matter, it's what you want to do that matters, right? So if you want to play those Blink and Greenday songs who is anyone else to tell you that you should be playing 200bpm, 16th note, m13, 3 octave sweep-tap arpeggios?

Do what you want to do and screw everyone else, just make sure you do what you want to do well!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 30, 2011,
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE COMMENTS GUY

im so glad i joined this forum the things u guys ALL say are very reassuring and helpful...i look forward to using this forum alot more and keep the answers coming if anyone else has anything to add