Hey I'm looking to buy my first electric guitar after playing acoustic for a couple of years and I was wondering if this is a good guitar for the price range, I was thinking of offering £250.

"Fender Mexican Stratocaster for sale! This fender came put of the factory in 1996-1997. I have replaced the original White scratchplate with a black one and new chrome volume and tone knobs. I also added a humbucker into the bridge that gives it a really full warm tone. There is some belt wear on the back, and the person that owned it before me tried to spray it black, and there is still some paint left over in places ( see image of the back). This does not effect ow well this guitar plays! I have had it set up professionally and the action is beautiful, super low and easy to play! "

I am not planning to play a particular style though I'll probably lean away from the more heavier metal sounds. Is the guitar worth it for the price and pickup changes?

Images here
http://i.imgur.com/VAuoS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/h5NVI.jpg

Thanks in advance...
I don't know what a regular MIM strat goes for in your country, but I would offer less than whatever that number is. Just going by exchange rate, I would not make your offer. In the US at least, retail on a new MIM is $500, and used ones go for $250. I would offer $180 at most for that guitar. You can get a MIM with a stock humbucker in the bridge all day long, so the added rails pickup doesn't really effect anything, and the paint knocks the value down. Basically, there have been no modifications here that add any value and one that definitely decreases it.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't know what a regular MIM strat goes for in your country, but I would offer less than whatever that number is. Just going by exchange rate, I would not make your offer. In the US at least, retail on a new MIM is $500, and used ones go for $250. I would offer $180 at most for that guitar. You can get a MIM with a stock humbucker in the bridge all day long, so the added rails pickup doesn't really effect anything, and the paint knocks the value down. Basically, there have been no modifications here that add any value and one that definitely decreases it.

Thanks a lot for replying.

If I were to buy a new MIM here it'll cost me around £350.
Do you think I'm better of at buying say a new Epiphone ES335 dot around that price range?
My budget is under £300 for my first electric. Do you have any other recommendations? TIA.
Quote by Redobe
Thanks a lot for replying.

If I were to buy a new MIM here it'll cost me around £350.
Do you think I'm better of at buying say a new Epiphone ES335 dot around that price range?
My budget is under £300 for my first electric. Do you have any other recommendations? TIA.

I think one big advantage of buying a new instrument is the warranty you get (2 years in the EU, so also for the UK) and indeed, that instrument has lost a great deal of it's value because of the failed paint job.
The 2 alternatives you have here (new MIM and epi) are very good, but you should test them both before buying because the sounds are very different (single-coil vs humbucker) and see which sound you prefer.
If you can't test them before look on youtube for some examples of both
some examples to listen to for both:
es-335: BB king, kings of leon, ...
strat: stevie ray vaughan, jimi hendrix, ...
Quote by django_fan
I think one big advantage of buying a new instrument is the warranty you get (2 years in the EU, so also for the UK) and indeed, that instrument has lost a great deal of it's value because of the failed paint job.
The 2 alternatives you have here (new MIM and epi) are very good, but you should test them both before buying because the sounds are very different (single-coil vs humbucker) and see which sound you prefer.
If you can't test them before look on youtube for some examples of both
some examples to listen to for both:
es-335: BB king, kings of leon, ...
strat: stevie ray vaughan, jimi hendrix, ...

Thanks my mate has a Epi es-335 so I've tried it a couple of times and really liked the warmish sound, I'll research it some more before settling on it.

Oh and do you think a Roland Cube-X15 amp is a good suit if I do decide to buy the es-335?
Quote by Redobe
Thanks my mate has a Epi es-335 so I've tried it a couple of times and really liked the warmish sound, I'll research it some more before settling on it.

Oh and do you think a Roland Cube-X15 amp is a good suit if I do decide to buy the es-335?

some tell that the roland cube 60 and 80 are very good for warm jazz-ish tones, I played on a cube 15 myself and what I don't really like about it is that all the guitars (my ibanez AG86 and my MIM tele) get the same sound I've never heard on another amp, it defines your tone more in one direction than other cheap amps but it's distortion is way better than my Laney HCM10!

But on the other hand, everyone needs a first amp, and it's definately not the worst!