Basically i hate my amp to bits - Vox VT30. I've screwed around with it countless times for the 2years or so i've had it. I play dominantly metal and i think there are definitely better options for a metal amp but this is what i'm stuck with so i'll make do. Sure many might say just buy a new amp, but not everyone is able to go to the shops and just buy an amp.

Anyways i have a pair of AKG K99 headphones.
When i plug it into the amp, the tones i can get sound 10times better. It's exactly the kind of tone i wish i could achieve when playing through the amp and when recording guitar covers in particular. Also, noone wants to sit with a pair of headphones on their head all day.
When i unplug the headphones the tone i get is my usual shitty tone that i hate lol.

Does anyone know how and why the tone on my headset sounds better?
Does anyone know if there's a way to get this sound out of my amp when playing normally?
Feedback of any kind would be much appreciated.

Thank you (:

My gear below:

Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Vox VT30
AKG K9 Stereo Headphones

Also, in b4 what you really need is a new amp.
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 30, 2011,
What you really need is a new amp.

Nah, but seriously I have no idea why it would sound better then headphones other then some sort of weird soundwave stuff that I don't understand. You should check out used Marshalls or something.
Last edited by phayzze at Aug 30, 2011,
Because your headphones have better sounding speakers in them than your amp does.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Because your headphones have better sounding speakers in them than your amp does.

That seems extremely shitty. Generally a gear noob like myself would think some giant box 10times the size of my headphones would be better quality than small portable headphones.
Is it an expensive / difficult procedure to replace the speakers in my amp or is it better off just buying a new amp?
Quote by vayne92
That seems extremely shitty.. Is it an expensive / difficult procedure to replace the speakers in my amp or is it better off just buying a new amp?

Kinda true though.

The VT XL series might be better to your liking.
Don't know if Vox still makes those though.
Used, I'm sure they can be had for a low price.

I have a VT 30 and after speaker replacement (Emminence Ragun Cajun), it sounded much better. But my thing is more classic/american/southern rock, so that speaker may not be the best choice for you. I think I paid around $60 for the speaker.
Quote by CodeMonk
Kinda true though.

The VT XL series might be better to your liking.
Don't know if Vox still makes those though.
Used, I'm sure they can be had for a low price.

I have a VT 30 and after speaker replacement (Emminence Ragun Cajun), it sounded much better. But my thing is more classic/american/southern rock, so that speaker may not be the best choice for you. I think I paid around $60 for the speaker.

I think i'd prefer to have the speakers installed professionally however. Will i pay much extra for that?
I'm assuming to replace the speakers i need to do some rewiring and soldering and i am hopeless at that sort of stuff.
Quote by vayne92
I think i'd prefer to have the speakers installed professionally however. Will i pay much extra for that?
I'm assuming to replace the speakers i need to do some rewiring and soldering and i am hopeless at that sort of stuff.

No idea on tech costs.
2 wires.
4 mounting screws
10 minutes tops.

No need for re-wiring.
Can't remember, but I don't even think you need to resolder anything
There's this really nice thing called youtube, in which you can look up many videos on how to do this, and you can do it yourself without paying for tech.
Where's Waldo?
Maybe cause you are hearing different frequencies at different rates.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by chadreed32
There's this really nice thing called youtube, in which you can look up many videos on how to do this, and you can do it yourself without paying for tech.

Touche fine sir.. Touche.
I'm doing that just now infact and it doesn't seem too difficult, but i just don't know where to begin on searching for speakers that match my tastes. I can't imagine it's as simple as purchasing an amp where you can go to the shop, plug a guitar in and play, and i don't want to go into a guitar shop and fall victim to a retailer who convinces me to purchase a speaker which i don't end up liking.
People here could help you with that, what kind of things do you play, and what sound are you looking for?
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
People here could help you with that, what kind of things do you play, and what sound are you looking for?

I play very dominantly metal, but i also really enjoy some nice warm and clean arpeggios and some fingerpicking.

I've adopted a playing style much like Synyster Gates because i've been playing his stuff ever since i picked up a guitar and naturally i've grown to shit bricks over his tone :P
Bands i play would be mostly Avenged Sevenfold, followed by my other favourites such as Trivium, Metallica and Parkway Drive.
I like to think of myself as more of a lead guitarist so i'm trying to focus more on a nice lead tone.

Here's some examples of guitarists on youtube who have tones i really like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Hus9-S8mI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z3hMVhaNKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pKP6-JFUEY

I hope that can provide a better understanding for those people who are willing to help.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Synyster Gates has a ****ing awful guitar tone..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
Synyster Gates has a ****ing awful guitar tone..

His tone isn't that bad, but I don't find him to be a good musician, at all.
Where's Waldo?