This happens to me all the time and its feckin killing me. I come up with an amazing riff or song idea, put it on gp5 with bass and drums and jam with it to get a good feeling for the song then ***POW*** can't come up with anything else to finish the song and after a few weeks its another unfinished song in the bin with all the other unfinished songs. Its such a pain I mean I really have some good parts but just can't turn them into songs.

Has anybody else had this kind of problem and how have you over come this?
Don't throw away any ideas!

I have loads of riffs, chord patterns and lyrics which have been building up for years and are just waiting for something to happen with them.

Keep them all, play with them occasionally, see what happens. Some may never get used, some may work with something you'll come up with in a few years time.

At the end of the day, even if the riffs you create don't ever become a finished off song, you've got them recorded and they can be used as backing tracks to jam along to when you're practicing.

Don't worry, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Don't throw away any ideas!

I have loads of riffs, chord patterns and lyrics which have been building up for years and are just waiting for something to happen with them.

Keep them all, play with them occasionally, see what happens. Some may never get used, some may work with something you'll come up with in a few years time.

At the end of the day, even if the riffs you create don't ever become a finished off song, you've got them recorded and they can be used as backing tracks to jam along to when you're practicing.

Don't worry, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal.

This.

Sometimes it's also better recording/taking notes of riffs and random lines to songs that you come up with and save them for later. Many bands often finish songs by taking bits and pieces from other ideas they had.
"Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."