I use ernieball slinkys .10 and I play alot each week. About 15 to 20 hours a week on average. Some times more if I have more than 1 gig a week. And the strings age too quickly for my liking. The moisture from my fingers creat rust build up fairley quickly and I dont like the way that feels. I do own fast fret wich is a wax that goes lightly on the strings but that doesnt help a whole lot. I didnt know if there was a string that could stand up to my abuse a little better. Maybe D'addrio or somthing. Any help would be nice, thanks.
Fender US Strat-Fender MX Strat-Fender US Tele-Epiphone Sheraton II>Cry Baby Wah-Boss TU3-Nano clean boost-Boss SD1-BBE Green Screamer-Mxr '78 Distortion-Visual Sound Chorus-Digitech Digi Delay-HardWire RV7 Reverb-Digitech Jamman>Fender Frontman 212R
I foundthe D'addrio's died faster than anything else i've use. I'd suggest using Rotosound or some kind of coated string.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Hmm...I sweat a lot too and have never had that problem. How often are u changing your strings? Are you sure its rust or just a build up of funk?
I personally cant stand D'addrios.
Could be something in your diet that makes your sweat more corrosive, if I sweat a lot when I sleep it will bleach my sheets.
D'addarios have always been best for me. The best thing you can do is clean them a lot, whatever they are. Fastfret is a must.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
I change them about every two or three weeks. It may be funk build up. I recently started keeping a small hand towell on stage to wipe my hands off between songs. Ill check out some reviews on the diet thing.Id never heard of that before. Thanks
Fender US Strat-Fender MX Strat-Fender US Tele-Epiphone Sheraton II>Cry Baby Wah-Boss TU3-Nano clean boost-Boss SD1-BBE Green Screamer-Mxr '78 Distortion-Visual Sound Chorus-Digitech Digi Delay-HardWire RV7 Reverb-Digitech Jamman>Fender Frontman 212R
Quote by Oosh.
I foundthe D'addrio's died faster than anything else i've use. I'd suggest using Rotosound or some kind of coated string.

That's weird. A set of D'addarios lasted me 3 years before they started rusting.

Anyway, TS just buy several packs and brands when you have the money and see which ones last the longest.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Aug 30, 2011,
Quote by Silent Murder
That's weird. A set of D'addarios lasted me 3 years before they started rusting.

wat
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
You may just want to change your stings once a week, everybody I know that plays live changes them at least once a week or more.
I second the Elixir nanowebs, almost managed to make some of those last for an entire year, and they will usually last at least a couple of months.
I would stay clear of the D'Addarios, mine only lasted a few days...
Nanowebs last a damn long time. Seconding Fast fret as well, and definitely wipe down your strings after every use. You wouldn't believe the difference, really.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
wat

It is highly possible. Depends on how much you use them, the skin makeup of the player, and the environment the guitar is kept. He didn't say they sound good after three years, just that they didn't rust.

Though for the UK you would think those strings would be toast after at least a month.

TS
Get Elixirs. I have them on my acoustic and they haven't even begun to rust even after a year. (It spent the most part of that in its case)
+1

The oils in your skin and chemicals in your body are different for everyone just like no two string brands are the same. That is why I never pay much attention to 'What Strings' threads.

Like Silent Murder said - just get several different sets of strings and find the kind that you like best.

Wash your hands, clean your strings, play, repeat
I like D'Addarios because they are very soft and sound nice. I don't like Ernieball Slinky because they are too aggressive on my fingers and I don't notice a difference in sound.

My suggestion: always clean your guitar after you play, at least once every two or three days. Use saliva and a soft cotton cloth. I use an old glasses cleaning cloth (whatever its called) because I has glasses.

• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
I'll start off by saying I have very very acidic sweat. Like I can make strings rust and build up a funk" in under 2 days if I play a lot and don't wipe down the strings. IT is terrible. I actually gave my ex-girlfriend a rash on her leg from resting my hand on it for a while. Yeah...bad stuff lol

Anyway, I have found that the best ways to keep strings going for a long time are:

1. Wash your hands before you play. At least wipe them down if you don't feel like going to the bathroom. Just try to minimize the amount of excess sweat and oil.

2. Every time you stop playing, wipe down your strings with some kind of cloth. Also, put the cloth under each string and fold it over so that you can clean under the strings as well. This will help them last longer because no sweat/oil will linger.

3. I have had a lot of success with D'Addarios. I used to use ernie balls, but they would be corroded within a few hours for me. When kept up with, D'Add's last quite a bit longer.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
fast fret is awesome to keep strings lively.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A lot of things affect how strings corrode.

String-Related:
1) String metal composition
2) Wind profile / surface texture

Non-String Related:
1) Your sweat / oils
2) Your "cleanup" methods after playing, if any
3) Storage method
4) Ambient temperature/humidity

This is really less of a debate about which strings last the longest vs the other variables I mentioned. Yes, some strings do last longer than others due to material and surface texture (grittier strings will get filled in with skin shavings and generally tend to corrode faster due to this "plaque" buildup much like teeth). However, the way you maintain those strings says more about it. No I am not a dentist.

Here are some ways to keep your strings full of tone and less corroded for longer:

1) Clean them after playing
Good
Just taking a dry microfiber cloth (non-polyester!) and wipe them down top and bottom quickly can remove much of the sweat/oils that accumulated on the surface.

Better
There are several cleaning kits you can purchase that usually come with microfiber towels and a spray. These work well, but using them too much/too often may affect the guitar's finish. Make you sure check the label to see what finishes it is reactive with, if any.

Best
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. There are glide-on/spray-on non-corrosive treatments for strings that can not only make them feel "slicker" but also prevent those oils from penetrating and corroding the strings. Again, moderation is key. You don't want to plaster the strings and fretboard with this stuff every time you play, but maybe once a week or so. I always mask off the headstock and body of the guitar when using any type of cleaner.
-Tone-Finger-Ease Spray
-GHS Fast Fret

2) Store the Guitar Properly
Good
We all may like having quick access to a guitar on a hanging stand, but in the open the entire guitar is subjected to nature's harsh elements: Air temperature and humidity fluctuations, circulation of that air, and UV rays. In any corrosive reaction, circulation is a bad thing- it speeds it up. There's nothing wrong with stands, but be aware of where you store the guitar. An open window can wreak havoc on strings and the guitar itself (warpage) if it is in direct sunlight or if humidity from a rainy day spills in and affects the wood/strings. If you like having your guitars visible on stands, keep them away from windows and heat sources. Cover them if possible (a light microfiber sheet works great).

Better
This is very debatable, but a case is almost always the best option for storage short of climate-control. It protects the instrument from those elements for the most part, but it takes a little extra effort to get to the instrument when we want to.

Best
Obviously the best option period is a climate-controlled environment whether that is a dedicated HVAC system or a little humidifier/dehumidifier unit in a shady room. Stand or case, controlling the environment eliminates many variables.

3) Wash your hands before you play
Washing your hands before you play does two things:
1) It warms your hands up -especially on cold winter days when your hands just don't want to move
2) It removes built-up oil and crud that will affect the finish of the guitar and the longevity of the strings.

If your strings get corroded, there are several methods that can help restore them:

Minor Corrosion:
If your strings feel like they have a bit more friction than normal, but aren't bad enough to cause fret-buzz or kill the tone completely, you can generally spray them with a fret-board-safe cleaner and wipe the corrosion away with a microfiber towel/cloth.

Moderate Corrosion:
If the amount of corrosion gets to the point where you'd consider changing strings, try running some printer paper or 2000+ grit wetsand paper along the top and bottom of the strings. Do this, constantly changing the paper location, until the strings "sing." Make sure you clean the fretboard immediately afterwards.

Major Corrosion:
Remove the strings from the guitar and spray them with 99% Isopropyl alcohol (minimum water content possible, denatured is best). Let them sit in a Zip-loc bag or Tupperware container overnight. When you take them out in the morning, they'll look like new. Certain coatings on strings may react with IPA.

Boiling- Yay or Nay?:
There is a lot of debate over whether or not you can successfully "boil" guitar strings. Some people think it'll anneal the metal (soften it by removing internal stresses so they're less springy) but this is debatable for many reasons. Materials play a huge part in this, and I don't want to start testing it out. It's a last resort. Most of us just spend the $6-$15 for new strings if they get this bad anyways... :/

I hope this helps!
Quote by Oosh.

I have to disagree, I've used Ernie Ball slinky, Dean Markley Blue Steel and D'Addario and the last ones last like twice long.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
I'll start off by saying I have very very acidic sweat. Like I can make strings rust and build up a funk" in under 2 days if I play a lot and don't wipe down the strings. IT is terrible. I actually gave my ex-girlfriend a rash on her leg from resting my hand on it for a while. Yeah...bad stuff lol

Anyway, I have found that the best ways to keep strings going for a long time are:

1. Wash your hands before you play. At least wipe them down if you don't feel like going to the bathroom. Just try to minimize the amount of excess sweat and oil.

2. Every time you stop playing, wipe down your strings with some kind of cloth. Also, put the cloth under each string and fold it over so that you can clean under the strings as well. This will help them last longer because no sweat/oil will linger.

3. I have had a lot of success with D'Addarios. I used to use ernie balls, but they would be corroded within a few hours for me. When kept up with, D'Add's last quite a bit longer.

+1, and use GHS Fast Fret like others say.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

The oils in your skin and chemicals in your body are different for everyone just like no two string brands are the same. That is why I never pay much attention to 'What Strings' threads.

Like Silent Murder said - just get several different sets of strings and find the kind that you like best.

Wash your hands, clean your strings, play, repeat

+1 to 311

i was waiting for this post. the which strings threads are not much better than should i drink Bud or an MGD.

thread is essentially a waste of time.

so OP go try a few brands. DR, GHS, D'addario, coated strings of different brands, and see what works best.

it took me six years to find a string that was right for me after moving around between brands, and i play d'addarios and nothing else. they just get along with me. mine will last a year of heavy play, and while not sounding like new, they still are workable. however, i personally do not like the brightness of new strings, i think they get best after a few weeks, and that is when i would imagine thats when a lot of you would change them.

so to shorten this up. try different brands, never just one set, as sometimes one package will be better than the other.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Guitarbaddie
wat

I change my guitar strings like once every 8 months, just because I can't be arsed to do it more often.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1 to 311

i was waiting for this post. the which strings threads are not much better than should i drink Bud or an MGD.

thread is essentially a waste of time.

so OP go try a few brands. DR, GHS, D'addario, coated strings of different brands, and see what works best.

it took me six years to find a string that was right for me after moving around between brands, and i play d'addarios and nothing else. they just get along with me. mine will last a year of heavy play, and while not sounding like new, they still are workable. however, i personally do not like the brightness of new strings, i think they get best after a few weeks, and that is when i would imagine thats when a lot of you would change them.

so to shorten this up. try different brands, never just one set, as sometimes one package will be better than the other.

It happened to me, I changed between brands as years go by (10) and finally I found D'Addario's. But I do like them freshly new, they make me throw a huge grin when I'm using them for the first week, they last me 2 weeks more and then I change strings if I'm gigging, if not I just change them when they break lol. (I always try to wash my hands before playing and I clean my strings but my hands sweat a lot!).
With my sweaty hands? The most i've gone was about a month w/ Elixirs but man were they rusty. Never again for a month.

Just changed 'em today actually.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"