So I'm finally able to upgrade my rig. My current rig consists of a Peavey Valveking head and matching 4x12 cab, a BOSS GE-7 eq in the loop, and BOSS sd-1 OD infront, and a BOSS ns-2 for noise. Now, i got this to sound decent for my style (Post-hardcore/metal) but obviously, this is not the greatest setup. I have a $1000 budget. My question is, since the the valveking cab sucks, would it be better to upgrade cab or head first? I have a short tour coming up in the end of september across the east coast, so I'm looking to get a better tone by then. My budget will be expanded if I sell my cab and head, which would put my budget around 1600. Im open to ANY suggestions, but please dont reccomend the 5150/6505. I used this amp for close to a year, and simply did not like the harshness that I heard. Thanks in advance!
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Head is more important than your cab, but don't underestimate the cab.

Used Dual Rec/Mark IV may be attainable
Where's Waldo?
I would honestly get rid of the cab before the head. The head is capable of metulz if you do it right.

Also, you only need a 2x12, TS, not a 4x12. That will save you some cash
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I used the head in a metal band, it went fine. I'd say go for a better cab first and if that doesn't work save for a new head after. Worst comes to worst, you get a good cab before you get a good head.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I would honestly get rid of the cab before the head. The head is capable of metulz if you do it right.

Also, you only need a 2x12, TS, not a 4x12. That will save you some cash

Quote by Dio10101
I used the head in a metal band, it went fine. I'd say go for a better cab first and if that doesn't work save for a new head after. Worst comes to worst, you get a good cab before you get a good head.

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Well, first of all, impedance hasn't been brought up at all. From my experience, all Peavey cabs, and most heads are 16 ohm. So if you're going to buy one or the other of another brand, you're going to have to take the into consideration or else you're gunna be having a bunch of mismatched gear.

But! Seriously. You have a Peavey tube head and a 4X12 and the EQ and everything else, and you can't get good tone? You're either doing something very wrong, something is broke, or, what you need in an attenuator!
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by HavokStrife
Well, first of all, impedance hasn't been brought up at all. From my experience, all Peavey cabs, and most heads are 16 ohm. So if you're going to buy one or the other of another brand, you're going to have to take the into consideration or else you're gunna be having a bunch of mismatched gear.

But! Seriously. You have a Peavey tube head and a 4X12 and the EQ and everything else, and you can't get good tone? You're either doing something very wrong, something is broke, or, what you need in an attenuator!

uh.

I'm pretty sure that amp has an impedance switch.

If not, you can still get 16 ohm cab no problem. Avatar, etc. Will hook you up.

And the Valveking 4x12, like most stock peavey cabs, don't sound great.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Go for an Avatar cab with some V30s or G12K100s, and I'd say get a hold of a tubescreamer pedal. Granted, it's just a suggestion, but they're ridiculously good ODs and tend to do a ton of good for metal.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
uh.

I'm pretty sure that amp has an impedance switch.

uh.

Sorry I don't look on the back of every piece of shit amp in the world.

But okay. He gets a 16 ohm cab. Even a 2x12 like you said so he can sit indian style in front of the damn thing every time he wants to hear himself.

Then he wants a head. And 90% of heads in the world are 8 ohms, or 4 ohms stereo. He now has a 2x12 paperweight. Good advice.

Just get an attenuator and figure it out later when you're good enough that you don't have to go to this ridiculous forum all the time for advice..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by HavokStrife
uh.

But okay. He gets a 16 ohm cab. Even a 2x12 like you said so he can sit indian style in front of the damn thing every time he wants to hear himself.

Then he wants a head. And 90% of heads in the world are 8 ohms, or 4 ohms stereo. He now has a 2x12 paperweight. Good advice.

Just get an attenuator and figure it out later when you're good enough that you don't have to go to this ridiculous forum all the time for advice..

TS - you can disregard this user.
if somebody gave me a choice of a marshall 4x12 made in 2011 or a 1x12 thiele cab with EVM12L's, i'd take the thiele lol. that's one heavy paperweight.

and i've seen too many amps with 4, 8, and 16 ohm outputs on the back. especially 8 and 16 are really common.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by HavokStrife
uh.

.. You surely can't be serious.
The Valvekings can sound pretty decent through a good cab, but with 1600 bucks, you could afford a new head as well (or just buy a nice combo amp if that's something you'd also consider).

Question is, what tones do you like? "High gain" can mean a lot of different things. The more precisely you can describe it, the better.

Quote by HavokStrife
uh.

What the hell crawled up your ass and died? Not only is your attitude uncalled for, most things you have said are nonsense.
Quote by TheQuailman
The Valvekings can sound pretty decent through a good cab, but with 1600 bucks, you could afford a new head as well (or just buy a nice combo amp if that's something you'd also consider).

Question is, what tones do you like? "High gain" can mean a lot of different things. The more precisely you can describe it, the better.

What the hell crawled up your ass and died? Not only is your attitude uncalled for, most things you have said are nonsense.

I swear, he has to be trollin'. Or he's actually very ignorant.
Also, you're right. This is a terrible place for advise because of douche bag trolls such as yourself. As for the rest of you guys, thanks for the advice. I'm going to most likely get an Avatar with V30's, and possibly switch my OD for a Maxon 808 or possibly a TS9
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
^Good idea. A lot of VK users tend to replace the stock speaker in the combo with a V30 and seem very pleased with the results. There is a Valveking thread, maybe take a look for more detailed info:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296

EDIT: I think the SD1 is a pretty decent OD.

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I swear, he has to be trollin'. Or he's actually very ignorant.

Yah. It's like he wanted to look dumb.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 30, 2011,
Quote by Hail
Go for an Avatar cab with some V30s or G12K100s, and I'd say get a hold of a tubescreamer pedal. Granted, it's just a suggestion, but they're ridiculously good ODs and tend to do a ton of good for metal.

+1

Avatar makes great cabs for the money and that is an excellent speaker choice. X pattern FTW

TS - I think you'll be much happier with the VK in the long run (or the short run) with a different cab. I've owned a VK and Avatar cabs.
Quote by HavokStrife
uh.

Wow. You must have an impressive drug dealer. If I were you I'd start cutting his stuff before use.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Most Peavey heads I've had (JSX, Classic 50, 6505) have all had 4, 8, and 16ohm outputs via a switch...and none of those amps have been shitty.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
i highly recommend a V30 K100 in an X pattern. i use two cabs for my splawns usually (way overkill, i am just having fun during the day, so no flaming ) and they balance out with eachother perfectly, the K100's get a little bit more lows while not being too boomy, and have a smoother mid spike that tames the V30's a bit. IMO they are a match made in heaven.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Absolutely get rid of the cab, not even people who like Valvekings like the Valveking cab unless it's got different speakers.

Get a Mesa, Avatar, Orange, White Box, Emperor, Splawn or even a Marshall (1960) 412 or a 212 if you prefer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Id go for a used Mesa Boogie or Rivera Cab With celestion T75's.
( 500-600$)
and you could use a Line 6 POd Hd 500 ( 500$) or Pod x3 ( 300-400$) to make your amp sound a shit ton better.
Because both those products have great Amp Modeling, so you could make your shitty Amp head sound somewhat like a Engl:P
Mesa rectoverb
just happens I have one fs lol
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
used 2 channel dual rec $1000

used Mesa 2x12 around $600

you will decimate galaxies with this rig
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.