I just restrung my guitar with some Ernie Ball Regulars but my D string is really flat, playing it open sounds a bit like I'm damping the string or something. It's not happened before, what can I do?
Try pulling the string out of the nut and put it back in again, if that does´nt work you need to file the nut out a little.
is it touching anywhere it shouldn't?

ie. any of the fretwires? (check the first or second frets) or any pickups? if no to both then have a look at your bridge saddles and nut to see if there's any issues there. but as sstony said, it MIGHT be your nut

did you change your gauge of strings or are you putting on the same gauge you took off?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
It's okay, taking it out the nut fixed it. Thanks, that was really annoying me haha

Edit:

Nope, I thought I fixed it but it's still flat as hell, what else can I do, it's not touching anything?
Last edited by LedZep9626 at Aug 30, 2011,
If the string really sounds like your palm muteing it a little all the time, then it could be a bad string. I had one once, and new string in and voilá.
If you want to check if its the actualy string, just hold a fret and play. After that, hold a high fret and play the other side of the string, between the nut and the fret. Sounds buzzy of course but you should be able to hear if under all that buzz it sounds correct or not.

Physically, I dont really know whats going on, I guess the string wounding wire is cut from somewhere. And the whole of this theory is only possible (thats what I think) if its one of those differently done (dont know the 'name') strings, aka. low E to D. The ones that are brown, duh. You know..

Nothing really you can do to it, exept buy a new string.
What you really need is a new amp.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
If the string really sounds like your palm muteing it a little all the time, then it could be a bad string. I had one once, and new string in and voilá.
If you want to check if its the actualy string, just hold a fret and play. After that, hold a high fret and play the other side of the string, between the nut and the fret. Sounds buzzy of course but you should be able to hear if under all that buzz it sounds correct or not.

Physically, I dont really know whats going on, I guess the string wounding wire is cut from somewhere. And the whole of this theory is only possible (thats what I think) if its one of those differently done (dont know the 'name') strings, aka. low E to D. The ones that are brown, duh. You know..

Nothing really you can do to it, exept buy a new string.

Well, thanks for that. I suppose I'll live with it and I'll get some new ones in a month or so.

What you really need is a new amp.

I am playing it unplugged...
Quote by LedZep9626

I am playing it unplugged...

it's a GG&A joke, go into any of the threads around here, you'll see it everywhere.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
does it happen if it's only played open or when you fret it? because if it sounds bad when you play open then it's something to do with the nut or maybe first couple of frets, but if it sounds bac when you fret it at say the 12th then it'll be the string.

just out of curiousity, is it in the bridge fully? i had this problem once, it turned out that for some reason the ball end of the string didn't go fully into the bridge but still tightened when i tuned up and it was the ball end moving about and stuff that made it sound all weird. just check but i doubt it though...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.