Hey guys, like 6 years ago I bought a Schecter C-4 XXX off a friend and used it with a 20 watt Crate bass amp. Last February I managed to score an empty Electro-Voice B115 1x15 cab (no speaker or horn, broken crossover) for free. If I gut the electronics and wire a speaker directly to the jacks, I should be fine right?

Next, last week I scored a Carvin BX500 for $200; it's only 10 months old. Pairing up a Carvin NE15-4 with the amp and cab seems ideal, I just want to know if anyone has any experience with them.

Thanks,
Mike
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
You can wire a speaker directly to the jacks and it will work fine. A decent 15 without a horn will still have plenty of definition. The only issue is that the cabinet isn't tuned for that specific model of driver, so you might lose some efficiency and have a less than ideal frequency response curve. Still, "less than ideal" is more than good enough to get the job done most of the time. I have some non-original drivers in two of my cabs and they are both great.
Well that's good to know. Also, the BX500 has a Treble, Bass, 2 parametric Mid knobs and a 9 band GEQ, so that should make up for any "tuning" issues.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Well that's good to know. Also, the BX500 has a Treble, Bass, 2 parametric Mid knobs and a 9 band GEQ, so that should make up for any "tuning" issues.

Well, the tuning thing is about efficiency across different frequencies so, even when you eq the problem away, you're left with less overall power (think of a mis-tuned cab as a passive eq rather than an active one, you're wasting energy that could have been put to use as more volume).

You should be able to get the sound you want, but the cab might not facilitate getting the most out of your driver. With a 1*15 that can potentially lead to too little volume (though again, its just as likely to not be an issue) since it isn't moving a whole heck of a lot of air compared to a 4*10, 2*12, etc. When you're using a 1*15, 1*12, or 2*10, you usually want to squeeze every last bit of efficiency you can out of the speaker.

Of course, trying it out is the only real way to tell if it works for you, so get to it!
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Aug 30, 2011,
Sweet, thanks for the help Mike. From one Mike to another,

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'm pretty sure those NE15-4 speakers are designed to be used in ported cabinets. Carvin puts 'em in ported cabinets anyway. If the old ElectroVoice cab is NOT ported then you may want to use a hole saw and cut some air holes in the corners behind the grille cloth so the speaker can move air the way it's s'posed to. Just a thought...
Don't just cut air holes in the speaker. The ports and the cab work together as a tuned unit. Just cutting holes would be like telling someone to fit a new string "turn it three times and that's bottom E". Many speakers work more or less in a sealed cab though you won't necessarily be getting the best out of them. Reflex cabs are more complex in their design and you need to know at least enough theory to operate one of the computer design engines to get a good result.
The EV cab is ported btw.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals