i tried to solder the plugs on some dead cables, which were obviously disconnected. i made the joints and used a multimeter to check the continuity, from barrel to barrel and tip to tip of the plugs... but i plugged it in and still no signal came through. what could be the problem here? is it a short somewhere in the cable?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Measure the resistance between tip and barrel. That will tell you if there is a short.
the tip and barrel of plug a or separate plugs?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

If you aren't 100% sure what you're doing, you should take it to your local guitar shop and let them sort it for you. Attempting it your self may do more harm than good.

And if you need to post on here for advice about what you're doing.....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i was just wondering if it was my joints, because it had continuity
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by IronMaiden76
i tried to solder the plugs on some dead cables, which were obviously disconnected. i made the joints and used a multimeter to check the continuity, from barrel to barrel and tip to tip of the plugs... but i plugged it in and still no signal came through. what could be the problem here? is it a short somewhere in the cable?

Make sure you didn't make a connection between the two wires. Check between the tip and barrel of the same end. You should not have continuity. If that's OK and you are good from tip to tip and barrel to barrel, then you have other issues.
Quote by IronMaiden76
the tip and barrel of plug a or separate plugs?
Of the same plug for starters. You are checking for a short between the signal and ground.

But since you measured continuity of both the tip and barrel, you can test either tip to either barrel of the same cable and it makes no difference.
i got 2/3 cables working again, and now i'm taking a break but i'll get the last one in a bit. thanks for your help!
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699