Hey guys. Today I bought Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" album - I know it's like from '84 or something, but I just realized I don't have any music from way-back-when in my collection - which I've now realized is a crime against humanity. Needless to say I've gone into a bit of a frenzy.

Anyway...so I was playing along to "For Whom The Bell Tolls", busy learning the song until I quickly became most frustrated. My low E doesn't sound like their low E, but kind of leans more towards the F in the next fret but not quite. I also tried out the leads and they sound closest to the recording when I play the ma fret above what all the transcriptions on this site suggest, but still sound a bit off. I'm pretty sure these guys did use standard tuning in this album, though.

When tuning my guitar I always tune to 440Hz. Did Metallica tune their instruments to a different frequency and, if yes, what frequency did they use? This is driving my a little bit nuts because I want to play along to the recording.
And I'm certain that my guitar's intonation is correct, just on a by-the-way note

Thanks.
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Aug 30, 2011,
Hey sorry im not about to answer your question but i need to ask one lol. How do you make a new thread?
I can't give you the specific frequency, but the most widely-accepted theory is that they tuned their guitars to the bell at the beginning of the song. It's about a quarter-step above standard.
modes are a social construct
There two things i can of: The pitch of recording has slightly changed due to remastering of the old recording. Or Metallica's tone on RTL is different to yours. Because they scooped the crap out of their amps and maybe your playing with alot of mids.
Last edited by CombatWombat 95 at Aug 30, 2011,
I know they used a slightly off tuning for it, either quarter step down or up, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, people ain't gonna notice, and they play it in half step down live these days anyway, so even they don't play along to the record.
Quote by danb31
Hey sorry im not about to answer your question but i need to ask one lol. How do you make a new thread?

The thing in the left hand corner on the top of the page that says "NEW THREAD".

Quote by Hail
I can't give you the specific frequency, but the most widely-accepted theory is that they tuned their guitars to the bell at the beginning of the song. It's about a quarter-step above standard.

Hmm...interesting. Thanks you, sir.
Maybe I should just muck around a bit, but I'll try 1/4 sharp.

EDIT: and thanks to everyone else for such speedy responses

(damn I got triple ninja'd!)
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Aug 30, 2011,
It's also good to note that the intro is played on a bass with wah.
'73 Guild S-100
Jackson Dinky JS32R
Orange Tiny Terror 1x12 Combo
Dude Its not there....and I am serious.

That pic made me lol though
ah. excellent! Thanks you Way Cool JR. and Wisthekiller. I'll keep it in mind try it tomorrow - now is not the hour to play guitar unless I want my family and half the neighborhood to shout at me for disallowing them sleep