I use a Krank revolution tube amp with a rivera speaker ( celestion T-75s) with a nice Ltd ( emg 81 & 85 and floyd)

I would like to know what multi effects pedal would sound best with my amp using the Four cables method.

I Play melodeath, death metal, indie Grunge / punk / Metalcore/ bluesy rock

I don't care much for amp Modeling because i love the tone of my amp, But I want a nice tube screamer boost for when playing heavy, and a hint of chorus.

I do love acoustic simulator and I know the boss has this.

Anyways which of these pedals would be best suited for a guy like me?
Reading your post I'd tell you to go for the gt-10, especially if you want an acoustic simulator.

I am personally planning to get the HD500, but that's my preference. Plus I love tweaking and iirc the HD500 has more tweaking capabilities.
Last edited by shreder666 at Aug 30, 2011,
I have the RP1000 and the M5 (all the FX of the HD500). The RP1000 has an amp loop and a stomp loop. The stomp loop is important if you like to add pedals to your rig. Both the HD500 and the GT-10 are more powerful in terms of assigning parameters to the footswitches. The FX of the GT-10 are very good and the HD500 has some pretty far out cool FX while the RP is good quality but a bit more utilitarian.

If you have no need for amp models and want flexibility in control assignments and maybe even MIDI, then the HD or GT-10 is your best bet. If control assignments aren't your bag but price is important then the RP is a good buy. The amp models of both the HD and RP are good. Not so much with the GT.

IMO the HD has the best fuzzes (which are also in the M5). The RP has an acoustic amp sim, so when you kick it in the your Krank preamp will automatically disable, which is what you would want.

In the final analysis I would probably recommend the HD500, but check about the acoustic sim first. Although the GT-10 might be perfectly fine. The RP is a straight up utilitarian and good sounding unit, but the lack of multiple parameters in control assignments is very important if you are serious about switching things quickly in a live environment.
i would choose the hd500, but it doenst have an acoustic simulator. but to be honest, i have never really liked any acoustic simulators i have heard. so it's hard for me to relate to you there. but when you use the hd500 with the 4 cable method, you will use the fx loop block to activate your amp, then you will have 7 slots for effects that can go before or after the amp any way you want. it's very versatile and the routing options are awesome
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by shreder666
Reading your post I'd tell you to go for the gt-10, especially if you want an acoustic simulator.

I am personally planning to get the HD500, but that's my preference. Plus I love tweaking and iirc the HD500 has more tweaking capabilities.

Quote by fly135

In the final analysis I would probably recommend the HD500, but check about the acoustic sim first. Although the GT-10 might be perfectly fine. The RP is a straight up utilitarian and good sounding unit, but the lack of multiple parameters in control assignments is very important if you are serious about switching things quickly in a live environment.

Thank you guys ! This HELPS A LOT.

ALso FLy135 I haven't heard much on the RP1000, but how bad are the amp models on the gt-10 ? Like do they sound good? It doesn't really matter to me if the amp models replicate what they are trying to do, just as long as they sound Sexy you know ( for recording demo's)

WHich Has the best effects in your opinion ? ( chorus/phaser/ delay/ reverb)

ONE more Big thing I would like to add, WHich of these models has a Good Tube screamer ? Noise Supressor ? Tuner? EQ ? And out of the RP and GT which one of the two has a better acoustic sim.

THANKS A LOT BTW FOR THE INFO.
The gt10 amp models IMO are fuzzy and aren't the best.

The rp1000 has great distorion models and pretty good fx.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
The effects are good, but not quite as good as the effects on the gt10 and hd500.
Quote by kutless999
The effects are good, but not quite as good as the effects on the gt10 and hd500.

so in terms of amp models it beats the GT but not the HD ?
In my opinion, the HD is going to give you the best quality amps/effects without buying something like an eleven rack or axe fx. It offers the best routing options for your situation as well. The only thing wrong is that it has no acoustic simulator. But as I said before, most acoustic simulators sound terrible and I would rather none than a terrible one.
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
^Amp models on the RP are about on par. Some HD models sound better than the RP counterparts while some RP models sound better than the HD couterparts.
So its a bit of a toss up. Keep in mind the HD500 has the typical high end sizzle that you get from PODs.
Biggest advantage the HD has is effects routability.

I say try the HD and the RP and take what suits your best.

The RPs effects quality is on par with the HD and the GT, give or take a little. But the Boss's effects and routability is the most flexible, followed by the HD, then the RP.

The RP is almost literally an analogue pedalboard in digital form none of the wild flexibiklty of the HD or GT.

That said and done, both the RP and HD do distortion and amp modelling far FAR better than the GT. Specifically dynamics.

For example, the GT wont show the responsiveness shown by this clip-
http://soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/01-110720-2113

Howver for pure effects, I would reccomend a G Major or a Nova System over any one of the units you mentioned.
Quote by Gabe_Esp
ALso FLy135 I haven't heard much on the RP1000, but how bad are the amp models on the gt-10 ? Like do they sound good? It doesn't really matter to me if the amp models replicate what they are trying to do, just as long as they sound Sexy you know ( for recording demo's)

WHich Has the best effects in your opinion ? ( chorus/phaser/ delay/ reverb)

ONE more Big thing I would like to add, WHich of these models has a Good Tube screamer ? Noise Supressor ? Tuner? EQ ? And out of the RP and GT which one of the two has a better acoustic sim.
Seeing as how I have both the RP1000 and the M5 I should be able to tell which FX are better. But I haven't spent that much time comparing them. With the M5 (same as HD) I've been messing with some of the far out FX. As in this clip.. Dark Wave

For what I can tell and listening to others who had done serious comparisons the RP1000 standard FX are as good or maybe a bit better than the HD. Just that the HD has more of the trippy stuff. The GT-10 is highly respected for the quality of FX. I don't any of the three will let you down.

The distortion stomps on the RP are as good or better than the HD (excluding Fuzz). My experience with the GT series is the GT-8 and the amp models have a lot of fizz. My buddy had a GT-10 and thought the amp models were not great. He has a HD500 now, although he used both in conjunction with a GSP1101. Which brings up another point. The HD500 (and IIRC GT-10) can run amps in parallel. So you can blend an HD500 amp with your Krank's preamp.

The tuner on the M5 kicks butt. I have a Planet Wave strobe tuner and the M5 is every bit as good. But the PW tuner is always on so it's my main tuner and I can't even remember using the RP1000 tuner. I could check it and report back if you're considering the RP1000.
Quote by Gabe_Esp
so in terms of amp models it beats the GT but not the HD ?
The RP amp models are as good as the HD.
Quote by fly135

The distortion stomps on the RP are as good or better than the HD (excluding Fuzz). My experience with the GT series is the GT-8 and the amp models have a lot of fizz. My buddy had a GT-10 and thought the amp models were not great. He has a HD500 now, although he used both in conjunction with a GSP1101. Which brings up another point. The HD500 (and IIRC GT-10) can run amps in parallel. So you can blend an HD500 amp with your Krank's preamp.

The tuner on the M5 kicks butt. I have a Planet Wave strobe tuner and the M5 is every bit as good. But the PW tuner is always on so it's my main tuner and I can't even remember using the RP1000 tuner. I could check it and report back if you're considering the RP1000.

WOw great info!

but idk if i missed it but so they all have a great tube screamer effect?
The RP has some great TS OD stomps. The HD has a good Chandler tube driver, but I'd give the nod to the RP TS. There are several TS variations in the RP.
Yep, fly's right, there are many good od stomps on the rp1000.

Here are all the amps, effects, and stuff in the rp1000 http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/rp1000
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 30, 2011,
TS - Im also looking for a pedal for the exact purpose you are and Ive been repeatedly going to guitar center trying these pedals constantly trying to make up my mind. The real race is between the HD and hte RP1000 as everyone else has been saying.

The amp models on the HD are better than the RP1000, but not that much better. Hooked up 4 cable method I find the RP is completely usable and a very good choice. To me the biggest difference is in the quantity of the RP compared to the HD. The RP offers a lot more amp models and if that appeals to you the RP might be the better option. But if you look at the HD and decide the ones it has is perfect for you than that may be the one for you. There is a lot to factor into the decision between the two and you honestly cant make the decision between the two based on internet opinions. Definitly try before you buy.

With effects I could go either way they both have a lot of good.
The effects very good
Last edited by megaduu at Aug 30, 2011,
i have hd500 clips at soundcloud.com/brokenlungs if you'd like to listen.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The Boss has the best FX IMO. Sure the HD and possibly the RP beat the crap out of it model wise, but if we're talking about straight up FX quality, the GT-10 is the best of the three.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 31, 2011,
i actually like my pod hd500 better than my old g major for effects. the delay on the g major was a little more crisp, and some of the modulations were a little "smoother", but i sold it for the hd500 and i have no regrets.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Ts, if you go to my profile, all those recordings were made from my rp355(same sound quality as the rp1000). Listen to "rp355demo #2" first.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/kutless999/music/
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 31, 2011,
I think you should buy the GT-10, I used it at a friend's house about a month ago and it sounds quite amazing, the FX are very good, and the acoustic simulator really stunned me.
i know this is old but axe fx is probably better and its only $2K
Quote by goldleadr
They don't know what there talking about! Let's put it this way right you suck

Yes I just quoted myself...
Quote by Offworld92
The Boss has the best FX IMO. Sure the HD and possibly the RP beat the crap out of it model wise, but if we're talking about straight up FX quality, the GT-10 is the best of the three.

Well given how behind the times Roland are in the modelling department (I don't recall any major overhaul or updates to the COSM technology) I'd say that Boss multiFX are only really good if you get them used.

The quality of their FX is miles better than their amp modelling, but when it's all said and done, they are absolutely poor value for money compared to the new Pod HD, if you buy new.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I have a Boss ME-25, which is probably about the newest Boss tech. The distortions on it are not the same as the GT-8. I haven't used it much more than to record a couple songs in my profile (Sneaky and Unsynced Jam), so I haven't given it a comprehensive test.
Quote by fly135
I have a Boss ME-25, which is probably about the newest Boss tech. The distortions on it are not the same as the GT-8. I haven't used it much more than to record a couple songs in my profile (Sneaky and Unsynced Jam), so I haven't given it a comprehensive test.

Ill Check it out

Quote by ragingkitty

The quality of their FX is miles better than their amp modelling, but when it's all said and done, they are absolutely poor value for money compared to the new Pod HD, if you buy new

Could I some tones line Periphery?
lamb of god ?
Behemoth?
Dethklok?
As I lay dying ?
with the GT 10?

Quote by goldleadr
i know this is old but axe fx is probably better and its only $2K

**** that I would never spend that much on that, I can't afford it anyway XD im still in highschool dude.
The me-25 is much more limited in functionality than the gt-10. My vote of the 3 is the hd500.
Quote by Gabe_Esp
Ill Check it out

Could I some tones line Periphery?
lamb of god ?
Behemoth?
Dethklok?
As I lay dying ?
with the GT 10?

**** that I would never spend that much on that, I can't afford it anyway XD im still in highschool dude.

Dude, you're already using a Krank Rev, I doubt you'd be able to get LOG and Periphery tones with that and I don't see why you can't get Behemoth, Dethklok or AILD tones with that. That said, no you won't get their tones with the GT10, not without lots of creative adjusting, so much so that you'd lose what little playing dynamics the GT10's amp models have.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.