Hey guys I'm checking out a 2007 Fender American Deluxe Strat tonight and the $850 price has me pretty stoked on the deal. I've never bought a used guitar before though so I was wondering if any of you could give me a checklist or things I should ask about/look for before agreeing to buy it.

Thanks, I really appreciate all the helpful advice I get from the members here
Fret wear, buckle rash, cracks in the body where the neck joint is, bumps and scratches on the back of the neck, rusting on pickups or bridge, etc. Just stuff like that. Its easy to tell if the guitar was used and loved and taken care of or used and abused.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
That doesn't sound like a great deal to me, but look for all the obvious signs of fret wear, pots that aren't scratchy. Put the trem to use and see how well it stays in tune.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As said above plus check to see if the knobs scratch when turned, make sure pups are in good working order. Check the serial make sure it's valid. Check the name on the headstock make sure it's not off center or anything.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
...also check for a warped neck. Look down the neck from the headstock.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Thanks for all the advice guys, I checked it out and it looked in great condition. The tone is also phenomenal, I am now the proud owner of a Fender American Deluxe
By far the most important thing for me is that a guitar stay in tune for several songs. Nothing else matters if the guitar needs to be tuned every song or two. Of course that means spending a long time playing it before buying - which some stores frown upon.
Last edited by thehikingdude at Aug 31, 2011,