i have a problem with the d string on my epi les paul, when i turn the tuning peg to tune up or down it doesn't change in pitch, then sudenly it will jump up in pitch, the tuning peg is not loose either?
Im sure that happens with a lot of guitars, it seems to be extremely common. I have the SAME problem with my BC Rich and my SG. Im not sure of a fix though...
Gear

Ibanez RGD320
BC Rich Bich
JimDeacon SG
Fender Mustang II
The way I sort this, is when I turn my tuning peg, I also apply pressure behind the nut on to the string which helps it actually change pitch. Kinda like a small bend down to the headstock.

I think it's literally just too much friction between the string and the nut that causes it no idea how to sort it properly as I'm not that guitar savvy, but the way I do it works and eventually becomes second nature.
Try checking if the string is getting caught in the nut, that seems to be a common fix for this kinda thing. If you find that does fix it, then either widen the nut slot SLIGHTLY or try rubbing it with graphite.
Rub a pencil's tip on the nut saddle and it'll allow the string to not get caught. Also, always, as a rule of thumb, always tune up and not down, because tuning down will probably allow the string to get caught in the nut. For me, it's always the g-string.

Anyway, the Epi's nut is crappy as shit. I recommend you replace it further down the road. Stupid plastic chinese crap. The rest of the guitar is pretty solid though, as far as I can tell, but the nut is crap.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Quote by Tiago Sa
Rub a pencil's tip on the nut saddle and it'll allow the string to not get caught. Also, always, as a rule of thumb, always tune up and not down, because tuning down will probably allow the string to get caught in the nut. For me, it's always the g-string.

Anyway, the Epi's nut is crappy as shit. I recommend you replace it further down the road. Stupid plastic chinese crap. The rest of the guitar is pretty solid though, as far as I can tell, but the nut is crap.

yeah the pencil thing would work because its the string binding on the nut. U can buy graphite nits for less than 2 dollars and its worth the invesment. it helps alot. did it for my epi g-400/sg and it worked great
If you buy a new nut, make sure you get the proper size so that you don't have to buy another one and go through the hassle.

Personally, I'd take a piece of slightly coarse sand paper, fold it in half and gently rub the nut slot where the string is having a problem sliding through. GENTLY, though. When I replaced the nut on my Eclipse, the G string was getting caught in the nut and wasn't returning to it proper pitch, so I did just what I suggested to you and voila! It opened up the slot just a little for the string to slide right through its slot.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX