I found a Ibanez RG3EXFM1 for 100$ on craigslist.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg3exfm1-electric-guitar

So should I buy this guitar or not? (the black one in particular if it makes a differnce).

My situation currently.

I've been looking for a Metal oriented guitar, to play in lower tunings like Drop B or C. My current guitar is being abused by tuning from E to C and what not. But I'm not in a crazy rush to get a guitar.

I mainly wanted a neck humbucker cause my current guitar is a HSS and for solos, I wanted a more smoother tone so the single coils weren't doing it, (they were smooth but the gain drop was way to massive). But I also was hoping for a 5 way switch on a HH guitar so I can get a single coil tone from both pickups.

Obivously this guitar isn't known for the pickups so i do plan to change them later, but should I get this guitar in hopes of upgrading or should I just get a better guitar?

My budget is 300-400$ ( my CG is crazy active so I could probably snatch pretty good deals) Think 100-150$ more than the regural Used price for guitars.

Recap Should I get this guitar? If not Which guitar would you recomend? No Floyd roses, Fixed bridges only!!!!

MY CURRENT GEAR:

Peavey 3120
Orange PPC 2x12 V30s
Jackson PC3 with dimarzio vintage blues, and a paff fred(I think a fred, not too sure)
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 30, 2011,
I think you could do a bit better in the 350 range, But if you're going used then I would go for it, just make sure you check everything out first.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Ghold125
For $100 I would pick it up, but would swap out the pups.

Do you think the guitar is worthy of a upgrade? Like the built quality, type of wood and all that stuff.

I don't want to put some Barekncukles in something that doesn't deserve it haha.

Quote by Alucard817
I think you could do a bit better in the 350 range, But if you're going used then I would go for it, just make sure you check everything out first.

Okay could you tell me what kind of guitar that I could get? I am not in a rush so I dont want to be hasty.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 30, 2011,
It's just that the V-7 and V-8 kinda suck imo, dull and lifeless. As for if I would upgrade the pups for that model guitar it's more or less your choice, I just wouldn't drop BKP's in there. For the money your spending on all that you could get something pretty decent.
Quote by Ghold125
It's just that the V-7 and V-8 kinda suck imo, dull and lifeless. As for if I would upgrade the pups for that model guitar it's more or less your choice, I just wouldn't drop BKP's in there. For the money your spending on all that you could get something pretty decent.

What would you put? I'm looking for a really tight and Aggressive Bridge pickup, and a really fluid and smooth neck pickup for solos and clean, warm cleans mainly.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
If you are willing to upgrade it go for it dude, but check the quality of the body, neck and fretboard wood, If you upgrade it those things matter most, the rest can be changed.
IF you arent willing to upgrade and can wait i would save up and buy a higher quality guitar.
I suppose it falls down to whether you are willing to put all the mind numbing time out to upgrade it.
Just in case you dont know if you are upgrading it, strip the paint and re-finish it, so many cheap guitars use a crap paint with a high metal ratio that not only impacts the tone but also the weight.
So guys If I were NOT to get it, what guitars would you recommend? Just so I know my options.

How would you compare this to the RG2EX1 I had one of those for about 2 years.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
If you dont mind having a trem...

Sorry if ebay links arent allowed. Its for a good cause.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Prestige-S-1220WNF-/280731543718?pt=Guitar&hash=item415ce768a6#ht_656wt_922

theyre not that bad to setup after you know how, but if you dont want one thats cool too. If its changing tunings often you def. dont want one.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Aug 30, 2011,
See I LOVE the S series, but I hate floating trems... So I tend to stay away no matter what, cause I am 90% sure it will get me frustrated.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
The RGs tend to be decent quality even at the lower end, so long as it's not one of the beginner series ones, which this is not. I would double check everything as it is a bit on the lower end price wise, but then again I wouldn't buy a $2k Gibson or ESP without playing it first either, no difference here. As for upgrades, as long as the playability is good I'd say it is a decent platform to work with, though I would save the money and get some GFS pickups of whatever variety you prefer - they are actually quite good for the price, and would keep this whole guitar project under $200 for everything. You will be happy with it.

Good luck!

There are plenty of other options you could look at, and no need to list a few as most are equal. Jumbo frets are on the side of the Ibanez, however, and I think them very worthwhile when heavily downtuning (I play in D standard at the lowest, but they can handle lower and maintain good playability easily). I think Ibanez is probably your best option as a brand in a relatively low price range, so you could check out their other models and you won't go wrong. I think you have something going for you with that deal though assuming it plays nicely - if you like it, grab it!
Quote by AJDrac
The RGs tend to be decent quality even at the lower end, so long as it's not one of the beginner series ones, which this is not. I would double check everything as it is a bit on the lower end price wise, but then again I wouldn't buy a $2k Gibson or ESP without playing it first either, no difference here. As for upgrades, as long as the playability is good I'd say it is a decent platform to work with, though I would save the money and get some GFS pickups of whatever variety you prefer - they are actually quite good for the price, and would keep this whole guitar project under $200 for everything. You will be happy with it.

Good luck!

There are plenty of other options you could look at, and no need to list a few as most are equal. Jumbo frets are on the side of the Ibanez, however, and I think them very worthwhile when heavily downtuning (I play in D standard at the lowest, but they can handle lower and maintain good playability easily). I think Ibanez is probably your best option as a brand in a relatively low price range, so you could check out their other models and you won't go wrong. I think you have something going for you with that deal though assuming it plays nicely - if you like it, grab it!

Thanks for the very detailed post.

Yea the guy originally wanted 150 but got him to 100.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Ghold125

Sweet thanks. I'll check these out.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit