hey, Seeing as i am taking a gap year before i go to uni, i have decided to upgrade the first guitar i ever got; a Yamaha EG-112.
However i am a bit stumped on what to replace the pick ups with, so many companies seem focused on outlining how they are so much better than another company that i can generally find little Information.
For those of you unfamiliar with the Yamaha EG-112 set up it is SSH.
I play a wide variety of rock but my largest influences are Sonic Youth, dinosaur Jr, Biffy clyro, Yuck, Qotsa,The cribs, arctic monkeys sort of stuff.
i want the neck pick up to be a fairly versatile pick up that will go from Soft melodic stuff to punky. I want the middle pick up to be a fairly heavy rock high feedback pick up and i want the bridge humbucker to be similar to the middle but perhaps with more tone.
a good HSS configuration for what you need is a PAF in the bridge (DiMarzio DP103 or GuitarFetish.com Fat Pats) and maybe some texas specials in the neck and middle? define "soft melodic" and "punky" and give a budget, and perhaps i or someone else can be more helpful
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
I shall look into them!
by soft melodic i mean sort of Elliott smith live, The cribs (ignore the ignorant album) that sort of warm sound thats not over the top then you put on your overdrive pedal and it becomes that more sort of Arctic monkeys/ Old Cribs sort of sound if i am making sense ?
There is a pickup thread - that would be a good place to pose questions... theyre pretty knowledgeable about this kind of thing.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
definitely look into GFS (guitarfetish) cuz they're cheap and sound good

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Strat-Vintage-Alnico-Stagger-Pickup-Set_p_717.html you'd have an extra bridge pickup

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fat-Pat-WHITE-Coils-Boutique-Alnico-Humbucker-_c_29.html for the bridge
i figured you'd want white pickups to match your guitar, eh?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

haha i actually sanded all the paint off it the past three days, did it by hand so i wouldnt alter it too much, so i am thinking keeping it natural and putting a finish on, re-finishing the maple neck as Yamaha did it terribly and then possibly touching up the fretboard before adding a blue shell pickguard
to be honest i only joined today and quickly looked through the list and decided "meh this one will do":P
there arent many people to talk to in my city about pick-ups etc because they are all into Deathcore or Dubstep...
blue shell would work with black or white pickups IMO, but i'm always glad to help out! if you need any more help PM me! good luck broseph!
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699