hello, i've been playing guitar for about 8 years now? and im self taught so i have no idea how i would go about teaching someone.

what i've been asked to do is start giving my 9 year old cousin guitar lessons just to get him started, hes got the bog standard 3/4 size classical guitar but as im self taught im not really aware of what needs to be taught? its hard to explain.

So if there is any guitar teachers on this forum, or anyone who is willing to help it will be much appreciated or even any other members.

what do i need?
what do i teach him?

many thanks!
When I was first taught, I used notation playing basic melodies and learnt scales (obviously without knowing how to apply them) as well as open chords
Do a mix of all, kids are hard to teach though, but it's worth it
I'm generally of the opinion that if you don't know what or how to teach something to a beginner then you probably shouldn't be trying to do so.

That being said, basic open chords are basically square one, start with those and find some simple songs that use only those so you can quickly get the kid making actual music and sounds that he recognises. Nothing kills enthusiasm like being bogged down by crappy exercises that don't sound like anything you know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
get a beginners book part one and two and work from there.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I've had to do this recently, but not to a young kid. As you're teaching a kid I'd recommend explaining what all the different parts of a guitar are. Maybe give him a labelled diagram or something.

I decided to start with what the notes at the first three frets were, followed by basic open chords so at least they can play something. I think that helps in maintaining interest etc.

After that my approach was to teach ultra basic theory so they could have an idea of what those chords were made of and have a conception of why they worked. I mean VERY basic.

Then basic major/minor scales.

For a beginner I'd say that provides a solid base to develop from. Unfortunately I haven't been able to move on much from there cos the guy I'm teaching won't practice!

The most important thing I noticed at the beginning was being able to get right hand technique right and being able to move between chords. Getting everything clean and flowing takes a surprisingly long amount of time.

I'm not sure if that's necessarily the best approach, but I hope that helps.

OH - and in terms of exercises I told the guy to do lots of 0-1-2-3-4 going along each string and then 4-3-2-1-0 all the way back.
Last edited by Duv at Aug 30, 2011,
Never ever teach theory for a first lesson. Or the second. or many many lessons after that. Why? Because it's boring.

Show guitar
Explain guitar
Explain TAB
Teach 4 basic chords, A D G E
Play "Wild Thing"

Learn new chord
Play new song

Repeat.

Chords are very rewarding for beginners.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Basic/open chords, scales...same thing as everyone else said.
Also don't let him get away with sloppiness. Make sure he uses correct technique at the beginning and he will be set.
Teach them how to hold and use the guitar(like what their hands should be doing), then a few basic chords and maybe a very simple songs. That's what I'd suppose.
Quote by Silent Murder
Never ever teach theory for a first lesson. Or the second. or many many lessons after that. Why? Because it's boring.

Show guitar
Explain guitar
Explain TAB
Teach 4 basic chords, A D G E
Play "Wild Thing"

Learn new chord
Play new song

Repeat.

Chords are very rewarding for beginners.

Exactly this. Kids don't want to learn theory. They get that appetite when they actually have a developed brain be that 14 or 24... hahaha
Everything everyone else said + Smoke on the Water. Come on, that's everybody's first song!
Synchronizing the hands. Seriously. I know this guy who's been playing for months, and he basically can't play anything, because he has never worked on hand synchronization.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

thanks guys, i was thinking..

show guitar
explain the guitar
whats tab
how to read it

an then still struggling what i should teach him after that..

do you reacon basic one line riffs?
Quote by TheShizzNizz
thanks guys, i was thinking..

show guitar
explain the guitar
whats tab
how to read it

an then still struggling what i should teach him after that..

do you reacon basic one line riffs?

Basic open chords. Always start with the basic open chords. They help with finger strength and independence and are the fastest way to get to playing music that is full and recognisable with no other instruments present.

I also stand by my initial assertion: if you have to ask how to teach something then you're likely not ready. Teaching is about understanding and communication, if you don't understand enough to figure out what to teach then you have no place doing so. Also note that ability =/= understanding.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Basic open chords. Always start with the basic open chords. They help with finger strength and independence and are the fastest way to get to playing music that is full and recognisable with no other instruments present.

I also stand by my initial assertion: if you have to ask how to teach something then you're likely not ready. Teaching is about understanding and communication, if you don't understand enough to figure out what to teach then you have no place doing so. Also note that ability =/= understanding.

everyone has to start somewhere, and i came on here on advice how to get going, its not like you can judge my guitar playing considering you've never heard/seen me play, i've been playing for 8 years and after my uncle heard me play guitar he confronted me an asked if i could give his 9 year old son guitar lessons, its not like i'm a proper guitar teacher with loads of different students.. this is just to start out and see how things go. That is why i came on here and asked for peoples advice

However i do appreciate your advice
Last edited by TheShizzNizz at Sep 1, 2011,
All you need is a guitar for him and you. Teach basic chords and basic scales first, of course after teaching him the guitar's parts, how to tune, and such.

I didn't read the OP, so don't flame please.
Quote by TheShizzNizz
everyone has to start somewhere, and i came on here on advice how to get going, its not like you can judge my guitar playing considering you've never heard/seen me play, i've been playing for 8 years and after my uncle heard me play guitar he confronted me an asked if i could give his 9 year old son guitar lessons, its not like i'm a proper guitar teacher with loads of different students.. this is just to start out and see how things go. That is why i came on here and asked for peoples advice

However i do appreciate your advice

Given that you have a link to your youtube channel in your signature, that is a somewhat silly thing to say, no?

People have done much the same to me but I refused; I know I'm not suited to teach, or at least not yet. Either way, I've said my piece, if you insist on doing it the key is to get the kid to be as enthusiastic about it as possible as quickly as possible and that means making music, real recognisable music.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.