Page 1 of 2
So my girlfriend bought me a guitar

This is her (the guitar, not the girlfriend :p)

Now the obvious questions; is it real? And how much should she have paid for it?

... ps.: I know, a horrible question since I *got* it :p
Looks legit. EBays for 150 usd.
Did some1 steal a gibby truss cover or do some come with that? (not you ts)
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Aug 30, 2011,
Its an real epiphone. Epiphone makes copys of real gibson guitars that r liscenced under gibson. this guitar new is about $120-$180 depending were it was bought.
Quote by DimebagZappa
Looks legit. EBays for 150 usd.

You have no clue how happy I am to hear that I know it's a cheapitar, but that's quite alright
Quote by perszzac
Its an real epiphone. Epiphone makes copys of real gibson guitars that r liscenced under gibson. this guitar new is about $120-$180 depending were it was bought.

Thanks

So much to learn. I'm 100% new to the world of the guitar, so stuff like this is a great read.
Quote by AboutaDirk
Thanks

So much to learn. I'm 100% new to the world of the guitar, so stuff like this is a great read.

mhmm np. everyones gotta atart somewhere. it jsut takes dedicated practice and you'll get there.
Quote by DimebagZappa
Maybe no one noticed the ninjaedit...
Shouldnt that truss cover say special II?
Not aimed at you TS.

Im looking at my old special II right now and yes, yes it should.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by DimebagZappa
Not aimed at you TS.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about guitars.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&rlz=&=&q=gibson%20epiphone%20special%20model&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1530l10435l0l10529l37l31l2l13l13l0l772l5641l2.3.2.4.1.2.2l16l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1877&bih=950

There's a whole bunch with the Gibson thing there. Might be a Special I? Just a guess?
Quote by DimebagZappa
Not aimed at you TS.

yeah, should be fine still. thers lots of different models. it looks used cuz some of the screws are worn. so who knows how old it is.
Quote by AboutaDirk
I think this place has made me paranoid :p

haha. dont worry. once u go insane enough from here u dont relize it anymore.

im preetty sure its an epi lp special I. htose did have gibson on the truss rod cover and it looks lagit. nobody would make a copy of a cheap epiphone anyway. its knda piontless
The only thing that's wrong is the little plastic cover that says "Gibson". It should say "Special II". Not a fake or anything, somebody just swapped them out. Nothing worth worrying over. It's just an Epiphone guitar (a company owned by Gibson that makes cheaper models of Gibson's designs) with a different cover.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
pics or it was your mom.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
epiphone is owned by gibson, yes its real, truss rod cover that says gibson was added.

they are nice little guitars well worth their money with replaced nut and tuners.
So how long until I'll go "alright, this guitar sounds cheap to me now"? Is that going to be years from now?

In other words, it's a cheapitar, but is it a rubbishitar as well? (Can't believe I just wrote those "words"...)
Quote by AboutaDirk
So how long until I'll go "alright, this guitar sounds cheap to me now"? Is that going to be years from now?

In other words, it's a cheapitar, but is it a rubbishitar as well? (Can't believe I just wrote those "words"...)

depends how good u good u get and how fast. It took me about 8 months to reilize my first guitar sucks. Electric guitar kinda turns into a money pit because u havta get guitars, cases for the guitars, amps, pedals/effects. theres always something out there that ur gonna wanna buy.
Quote by gregs1020
pics or it was your mom.

lol

I live in Sydney, my parents are back in Holland. If you want pics, go and facebook me or something. Sure you'll find a Dirk van Boxtel somewhere. [/nothingTohide]
have you played it yet?

now.

i'm kidding.

dude i was kidding about the girlfriend.
and its not a terrible guiatar. not sure what kinda guitars u like. but u might wanna check out a better epiphone guitar like a G-400 or a les paul studio if u like gibson guitars. Also used gear is a good way to get nice things at a way cheaper price. i suggest craiglist, ebay, or local guitar stores/pawn shops
Quote by perszzac
depends how good u good u get and how fast. It took me about 8 months to reilize my first guitar sucks. Electric guitar kinda turns into a money pit because u havta get guitars, cases for the guitars, amps, pedals/effects. theres always something out there that ur gonna wanna buy.

I gave my first acoustic guitar (LAG 4 Seasons) burn for about 6 months, doing nothing but chords. Can't really do barre chords yet, suckage. Figured it'd be easier to learn that on an electric anyway.

My point: about 2 years ago I "played" for a while, and found it fun but moved to Australia without her, now back at it.

So I'll give the bugger about 6 months? haha

I got some kind of pedal as well, just need an amp. Kind of expecting someone to get me an amp this week (birthday t'day) so that should be all good too.

Can't really go wrong, amp-wise, with a cheap guitar like this anyway huh?

I read somewhere that the amp should be twice the price of the guitar btw? That true? (if so; sick!)
Quote by AboutaDirk
I gave my first acoustic guitar (LAG 4 Seasons) burn for about 6 months, doing nothing but chords. Can't really do barre chords yet, suckage. Figured it'd be easier to learn that on an electric anyway.

My point: about 2 years ago I "played" for a while, and found it fun but moved to Australia without her, now back at it.

So I'll give the bugger about 6 months? haha

I got some kind of pedal as well, just need an amp. Kind of expecting someone to get me an amp this week (birthday t'day) so that should be all good too.

Can't really go wrong, amp-wise, with a cheap guitar like this anyway huh?

I read somewhere that the amp should be twice the price of the guitar btw? That true? (if so; sick!)

YES!! the amp gives at least 80% of the sound. Now U cant make a cheap guitar sound great, if u like how this guitar plays mn switch out the pickups eventually that is also a big part.
Quote by gregs1020
have you played it yet?

now.

i'm kidding.

dude i was kidding about the girlfriend.

lmao :]]

Yehr I know, but I don't mind indulging ya

Plus I'm just a happy camper right now, having an "axe". Feels weird, saying that. Axe. Axe. Gotta practice.
ILOVETHISPLACE: I wasnt sure if it was stock so was asking the community myself, seems to be legit stock.
So she got you the guitar everyone on the forums told you not to get? haha thought you said it was a Gibson. Yes, it is authentic. New, i think they go for about $180. and i've seen a butt load of Epi's that have the Gibson truss rod cover
Quote by AboutaDirk
lmao :]]

Yehr I know, but I don't mind indulging ya

Plus I'm just a happy camper right now, having an "axe". Feels weird, saying that. Axe. Axe. Gotta practice.

hah idk that just made me laugh. nevere called a guitar an axe before. My band would prolly make fun of me if i did
okay. not gonna lie. thos huge picturs above are annoying. not try to be mean: ILOVETHISPLACE. but yeah just saying
DimebagZappa: ah i see, i was legitimately wondering myself, cause i got it used off craigslist. also i'd like to apologize for the gigantic picture fail.
Quote by ILOVETHISPLACE
DimebagZappa: ah i see, i was legitimately wondering myself, cause i got it used off craigslist. also i'd like to apologize for the gigantic picture fail.

its kay.
Quote by shecter guy
So she got you the guitar everyone on the forums told you not to get? haha thought you said it was a Gibson. Yes, it is authentic. New, i think they go for about $180. and i've seen a butt load of Epi's that have the Gibson truss rod cover

Errr... nope? She got me the one guitar she was able to get for next-to-nothing We're cheapskates right now. Moving to Australia wasn't cheap
Quote by AboutaDirk
Errr... nope? She got me the one guitar she was able to get for next-to-nothing We're cheapskates right now. Moving to Australia wasn't cheap

it's an awesome budget guitar in my opinion man

hope you get some good use out of it!
Cheers for all the responses btw guys. Hardly know anyone with knowledge of guitars around here, so this kinda works pretty well :]
haha sorry. was kinda annoyed earlier man. Still, it's awesome your girl got you a guitar. Wish mine was that cool. :P if you like the feel of the neck (i didn't care for it) you could upgrade it as time goes on and have a nice guitar
the truss rod cover isn't a replacement it is original to that guitar. in the 90s and maybe the early 2000s epihones had the gibson name on the trussrod cover.
get her some flowers.

great gal you have there.
Quote by gregs1020
get her some flowers.

great gal you have there.

TS should do something better for his GF then flowers. He SHOULD wrap himself in a bow and let his woman unwrap him.

These aren't terrible guitars. If properly cared for they can last a good long time, with some upgrades it can be a pretty kick ass guitar.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
lol @ you guys :p

Yehr, she rocks at picking b-day presents. Love her to death. 29 And happy as a 9 year-old.
yeeah it's real, the special II's are like 150 so that's prob around there, considering it's a special I, probably less 100 120 ish
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W