Page 1 of 2
Why would people text more than they talk? It seems like that among my peers.
When you talk to others over the phone, you can hear them instantly and respond instantly. Texts may not even make it to the other person.
The way I see it, texts are supposed to be a mobile version of e-mailing. You get them when you get the chance to check. Wouldn't people rather get the message instantly or hear the sound of someone's voice?
I don't get it.
no, texting is a written version of calling. there are many variables in texting so it isn't anywhere near calling, but some people prefer to text their friend in class instead of picking up the phone and saying 'WHAT UP DAWG'.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Less human interaction or the person can get more time to respond and properly convey their thoughts.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
It's cheaper to text sexlines.

wut r u wearin, im totez naked 4 realz

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Mostly the fact that you can think about what you say, and no facial expressions are needed (can be a good or bad thing).
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

So the people near you can't listen in on the conversation
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

So i dont have to listen to you run your damn mouth while i try to listen to sweet tunes, then again i wont text you back either so youre f*cked either way.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

This, and you you can't send inappropriate pictures of yourself through a phone call

But seriously, sometimes I want to get information to people that isn't worth a phone call, or if I'm bored sending a mass text of "whats up" is a lot more efficient than calling everybody I know.
Quote by blake1221
Easier, less invasive.

this, that's really all there is to it
i don't know why i feel so dry
I don't really text or call anyone anymore. Now that all my friends use Facebook 24/7 its cheaper and more effective for me to message them there. I get responses quicker on Facebook than through texts.
Quote by Hergiswi

Once I fucked a mountain gorilla and it couldn't even tell me it loved me afterward.
Quote by spanishyanez
Mental you get my vote for making me laugh for more than 3 minutes
It's fucking stupid.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Anyone who thinks that texting is more popular is just oblivious. Texting is popular, but the only reason 99% of the people I know text is because they can't talk at the time, or don't have anything of importance to say and don't wanna deal with a long conversation
Quote by Jackal58
It's fucking stupid.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Quote by Extra Ordinary
I guess I'm just old fashioned.
Its also cheaper for me to call too.

yeah, it's called a top-up plan, it suits your needs. you need calls, you get calls.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Well I can do other thing's whilst texting and still have a conversation, whereas if I'm calling somebody I have to put everything else aside.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
It's the difference between having a conversation that is your primary task (calling) or a secondary task you are doing while doing something else (texting).
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
i dont like talkng on the phone cause i have alow voice and people never hear me so most of the conversation is people yelling"what?!"

so i prefer texting for that reason also its easier and im a busy person that cant spend hours talking to someone on the phone while i should be playing guitar or reading of listenign to music

if i really want to talk to you ill go to your place or meet you somewhere were we oculd talk
Quote by cornmancer
Anyone who thinks that texting is more popular is just oblivious. Texting is popular, but the only reason 99% of the people I know text is because they can't talk at the time, or don't have anything of importance to say and don't wanna deal with a long conversation

I rest my case.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Because through texting, you can hold many different conversations at the same time.
because getting a reply is not dependent on a person being in a situation where they can hear or answer their phone for the 30 or so seconds it rings.

the message stays there until they notice it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by laid-to-waste
yeah, it's called a top-up plan, it suits your needs. you need calls, you get calls.

I have a pay-as-you-go plan. I get an amount of dollars and calls per minute and texts cost a certain amount of cents. I can roll over my left over money each month or year.

Quote by ride-the-spiral
Well I can do other thing's whilst texting and still have a conversation, whereas if I'm calling somebody I have to put everything else aside.

You can use a speaker on the phone and with texting you have to put things down to use your thumbs.
Because it's quick. I can have a few conversations going. I can ask a quick question and get a response without having a whole conversation. They don't have to respond immediately if they are doing something. It's quiet.

That's all I can think of.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Extra Ordinary
When you talk to others over the phone, you can hear them instantly and respond instantly. Texts may not even make it to the other person.
The way I see it, texts are supposed to be a mobile version of e-mailing. You get them when you get the chance to check. Wouldn't people rather get the message instantly or hear the sound of someone's voice?
I don't get it.

Because you can do multiple things at once while texting. Try doing something important while talking on the phone. You wanna talk to the person, but at the same time you want him/her to shut up so you can do your work. Also there aren't many silent awkward moments like you get with talking on the phone. And nobody can over hear what you are saying.

And you can text in the middle of the night and not wake anybody in the house up.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by Jackal58
It's fucking stupid.

this. and here's why.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
because getting a reply is not dependent on a person being in a situation where they can hear or answer their phone for the 30 or so seconds it rings.

the message stays there until they notice it.

I have no problem with that. "Meet me at 8" "Can't make it. I'll call later"
Things like that are what texting was intended for. Not sitting there for 20 minutes carrying on a conversation. That's fucking stupid.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
People like to think about what they're going to say because they're insecure, and they're able to do so safely behind the cover of a text message.

I think it's pretty weak sauce for the most part when you can just talk to the person, but eh, others might not agree.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

if I didn't have a shit pre-paid service, I'd totez txt that 2 erry1 i no

OT: It's easier to text multiple people at once than talking to multiple people at once.
Quote by Jackal58
I have no problem with that. "Meet me at 8" "Can't make it. I'll call later"
Things like that are what texting was intended for. Not sitting there for 20 minutes carrying on a conversation. That's fucking stupid.

I don't know anybody who does that unless they are in a situation where they can't talk for whatever reason.
Because im not going to call someone on the phone and have a conversation when im doing shit, Ill call someone if im sitting around doing nothing or if i want to make plans but otherwise its so much easier to text
Quote by supersac
most of the conversation is people yelling"what?!"

OT: Because talking on the phone sucks balls. Jackal speaks the Truth.
Quote by DukeDeRox
Obviously you got this.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
I don't get it.

Texting allows an added level of removal from the person with whom one is communicating. Younger people have adapted to a constant climate of anonymous high frequency shallow interaction.
Quote by rock.freak667
Less human interaction or the person can get more time to respond and properly convey their thoughts.

This

And I can have a conversation over long periods of time when one of us may be busy. My friend isn't going to talk on the phone while she's on her break at work and I'm not going to try talking when I'm i a crowded place at college. It's convenient.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Aug 30, 2011,
It's usually easier because you can do other things at the same time, including texting multiple people.
It's more casual. If I'm waiting in line somewhere I'll txt a few friends and say what's up, how's your day going? etc. and get a few responses back and I'll occupy my time while keeping in touch. On the other hand I'm not going to call and just be like hey... I'm bored, entertain me
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Extra Ordinary
I don't get it.

This. I think the same way and conversely only text when I don't need an instant response. That way if the other person is busy they can reply whenever they have the time.
Page 1 of 2