so i was playing guitar (im pretty shit and haven't been improving) when i had this, like, guitar epiphany or something (mostly for economy of movement) and with in a minute i was playing at least 4 times better/faster than i usually do. has this ever happened to anyone before?
I dunno, but when I genuinely sucked, I restrained my fingering to a four-fret span for some reason. Then I started to stretch out to five, and got a LOT better. Now I'll stretch as far as I can, but I try to avoid it because I'm not quite good at it.

I also recently stopped anchoring.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

#wolfie2017 #freegyros #gifsftw G7#9
Nope. Not that I can recall anyway...

I think after I learned the solos to a few Clapton songs, I knew I had gotten better. It all gets developed over time though... I've just not really been learning anything for the last 1-2 years that could help me become a better guitar player, just learning the odd song or two, so I've not really noticed anything dramatically different from how I player now and how I played a few years ago.

I'm more into improvising and phrasing and trying to improve those aspects now, which isn't about to happen over night.
Quote by Wolfinator-x

Meh, I still anchor. But I'm also a terrible guitarist, so... >_>

OT: I know I've had one in the past, I just can't remember exactly what it was.
I play cleaner when I'm not paying attention. This is only with improvising.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

A proper setup on my guitars spawned my first big improvements...

Then my guitar playing got a lot better when I started using Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mm picks.

When I started playing on a tube amp (instead of an MG30DFX) I could hear all the dynamics I was missing before and that was a huge leap.

Programming metronome tracks in Guitar Pro using the wood block sound gave me much better awareness of where bars start and end (high pitch for first beat in each bar, low for the rest) and helped my timing infinitely.
Oh yeah, getting guitars with Floyd Rose helped my dive bomb technique a lot, too :-)\

And being too lazy to put the whammy bars onto the vintage trems helped out with my neck bending.
when i stood up and played upright wiht my acoustic,,, with my electric whenever i stood up it was like this sucks....but with my acoustic it feels natural and right the only time i sit now is if i am learning a new song....
I haz gotten gud
Definitely not technique wise, but I started out playing on a beat up generic brand starter guitar for nearly a year and only once in a while would I plug it into the crappy little practice amp it came with. Very unsatisfying, with little results. Then one day I went to my friend's house and his dad offered to let me play on his set up. He had a huge set up (don't remember what it was because I didnt even know at the time), and he plugged in his custom Carvin into it, hit a few switches on his Line 6 Multi Effect Board, and... BAM. I felt like I was a rockstar. It gave me the boost to continue playing till this day, and I'll never forget it. Imagine having never played through an amp other than a crappy little starter amp worth shit, then a year later, plugging into a serious set up... Mind blown.
Sounds like you we're in "The Zone". Sometimes when you are really focused on something you can do incredible stuff.
One day I was like "Man, guitar is easy!" and from then on, I spent most of my days doing 16 string sweep/tap arpeggios and playing 128th note licks at 300bpm.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by Wolfinator-x

What's anchoring??

Just asking because I suck at guitar and it's probably something I do that is slowing me down.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
What's anchoring??

Just asking because I suck at guitar and it's probably something I do that is slowing me down.

loljk

Its when you rest your picking hand on the guitar while you play.
Quote by Weaponized

Its when you rest your picking hand on the guitar while you play.

Oh shit, that's a bad thing?

I'm terrible
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by zach in black
One time this happened for about an hour after I electrocuted myself with my amp or pedal.

you should do it again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
Or anchoring could be where you keep a finger or two (generally your little finger of your picking hand) on the pick guard.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
mine was when i realized that the pentatonic scale could be shifted around the fretboard for different keys
Just the other day I was trying to get the Fade to black intro solo, and I figured out that when I'm not doing a death grip on the pick, I play cleaner and faster.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir