TLDR: Tube 1x12 combo or stack with effects loop, under $600.

Budget -$600-ish USD

Genres -Rock, worship, some blues, a wee bit of metal

New or Used - Either

Home or Gig - Gigging, although I'm usually mic'ed. Being able to be heard over a drummer is important though.

Closest City - Lincoln Nebraska, or possibly Omaha Nebraska

Current Gear - In sig (However, my head is now a Peavey Classic 50 head).

Long story short, I play in 3 different bands, so carrying a bulky head and a 2x12 cab (along with 2 guitars and a big pedalboard) has gotten annoying. I don't dislike the sound of the Peavey, it just isn't anything mind-blowing for me, and I never use the clean channel (I just keep it semi-overdriven, and add my two OD pedals to taste). I'm thinking I would do best with a 112 combo or a 112 stack.

Having an effects loop is a priority for me, not a deal breaker but I use different effects that all sound much better in the loop to me.

Finally, one of my ideal tones (to give you an idea of what I'm looking for) would be this song. If what I've read is correct, he's playing some kind of PRS into a PRS Sweet 16 amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmoUgvJAqtc

I'm currently leaning towards an Egnater Tweaker, but I really have no clue yet. Any other ideas?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Last edited by souperman08 at Aug 31, 2011,
This is what I have. It has loudness power, a decent OD channel, and is cheap. I personally like it very much.
Quote by olix95
This is what I have. It has loudness power, a decent OD channel, and is cheap. I personally like it very much.

A head and a 4x12 would be bulkier and more of a pain to carry then what I have right now.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
A head and a 4x12 would be bulkier and more of a pain to carry then what I have right now.

hmm... barely read half of your original post, so i'm wrong, ignore what i said
Quote by olix95
hmm... barely read half of your original post, so i'm wrong, ignore what i said

TLDR added
Nice OP!

Strait to the point

Not sure why a that B52 halfstack was rec'd.

New? You could always get a Classic 30 112 combo or maybe something like a Jet City. The Bugera V22 is pretty cool. The 'bit of metal' is kinda tough in this price range but since you don't do metal gigs I focused on the gigging genres. Those come first.

Here is some used stuff to consider.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/msg/2565764944.html Ampeg J12
http://lincoln.craigslist.org/msg/2564622176.html Night Train
http://lincoln.craigslist.org/msg/2552112370.html Blues Deluxe
http://lincoln.craigslist.org/msg/2524757606.html Blues Jr
http://omaha.craigslist.org/msg/2559889629.html Carvin Nomad
http://omaha.craigslist.org/msg/2509869699.html Peavey Delta Blues

see what GuitarCenter has in its used section. I see tons of used amps these days at GC.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 31, 2011,
I swear I check my local CL postings on a daily basis and I haven't seen half of these, crazy. Thanks for the advice.
Type in 'amp' and then set your $ range and you'll get most of them. Maybe not all of them.

Any questions on those? That is quite a range of amps. What do you model your style around? Fav bands, guitarists, tones, etc.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Type in 'amp' and then set your $ range and you'll get most of them. Maybe not all of them.

Any questions on those? That is quite a range of amps. What do you model your style around? Fav bands, guitarists, tones, etc.

Well, that video I posted in the OP is one of my ideal threads. Honestly, the more I listen to House of Heroes, the more I think thats the sound I'm shooting for. The solo in the video I previously posted, and the lead part at around 30 seconds into this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojfeqNF_YZY&ob=av3e

Just really strong, punchy, and enough grit to make it sing (I'm horrible at explaining tone without BS-ing, haha).
imo, a 1x12 tube combo will be just as much trouble carrying it around. Except instead of having to carry two things, it will only be one.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
They've played at the place I work at, One guy uses a JCM800 and the other is Using a JMP. Hope that helps
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Quote by Jaredmkl
They've played at the place I work at, One guy uses a JCM800 and the other is Using a JMP. Hope that helps

Are you sure? In all of their videos, one of them has a Marshall but the other one definitely has the PRS Sweet 16. Could be a sponsorship deal I guess though. Don't they make/made a JCM 1x12 combo?
Im gonna say maybe save a bit more and buy a pod hd 500 and one of those tech 21 power engines to power it
Ac15.

Truth is, everything will be hard to carry at some point. If you don't want to deal with it, play in your room alone with a spider 1x8" for the rest of your life.

Get a case with wheels.

Don't get a stack at that price, you play worship music, get an Ac15 and mic it.
^This if your main thing is worship music.

However, I play a lot of worship myself and I'm looking into Egnaters since I go for a more Marshall-y British tone. I say be different than all of the Edge wanna-bes that worship guitarists seem to be. Worship music doesn't have to sound like U2.

EDIT: You're a HOH fan too?

From what I remember, Colin plays a PRS amp. Tim (lead singer) plays through a JTM45 half stack. Freaking love that band dude.

We're in the same boat. I'm trying to go for a tone similar to HOH plus some Switchfoot, Relient K, and Foo Fighters. Egnaters have been the best I've found in the price range to kind of be able to do all of them while still being able to do a good clean tone.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by Natrone
^This if your main thing is worship music.

However, I play a lot of worship myself and I'm looking into Egnaters since I go for a more Marshall-y British tone. I say be different than all of the Edge wanna-bes that worship guitarists seem to be. Worship music doesn't have to sound like U2.

EDIT: You're a HOH fan too?

From what I remember, Colin plays a PRS amp. Tim (lead singer) plays through a JTM45 half stack. Freaking love that band dude.

We're in the same boat. I'm trying to go for a tone similar to HOH plus some Switchfoot, Relient K, and Foo Fighters. Egnaters have been the best I've found in the price range to kind of be able to do all of them while still being able to do a good clean tone.

Sounds like you know exactly how I feel. I've often heard "Oh, you play worship? Get a Fender, the cleans are perfect.", and I NEVER use a fully clean signal. If I was running multiple amps, I would love having a AC15 be one of them, but since I'm using one amp I need something more broad.

311ZOSOVHJH, forgive me if this is super stupid, but is a Renegade just a bigger version of the Rebel? At the GC I was at, they had a Rebel right next to the Tweaker, and I hated it in comparison. Couldn't quite put my finger on why, but I wasn't getting a sound I liked out of it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Save up for a renegade

311 - i am still waiting on your NAD Renegade post... lol, whenever that comes. i know when you placed your last NAD i swore up and down it was a renegade, but it was the vypyr tube so thats fine at all.

but 311 i know you will end up with a renegade.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The peavey classic absolutely destroys the tweaker. You may get something more portable, but the tone will suffer tremendously. I plugged a Peavey classic into an extension cab and it sounded very much like that tone in the song, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same.

I say look at the old USA made crate amps. The V series and vintage club amps should do what you want perfectly. Marshall esque crunch, good clean channel, and they are quite cheap.

I have never liked any egnater. They are "big" sounding (mind the tweaker) but very muddy and muffled. And they just can't seem to get that biting crunch that you are looking for.
Quote by patriotplayer90
The peavey classic absolutely destroys the tweaker. You may get something more portable, but the tone will suffer tremendously. I plugged a Peavey classic into an extension cab and it sounded very much like that tone in the song, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same.

I say look at the old USA made crate amps. The V series and vintage club amps should do what you want perfectly. Marshall esque crunch, good clean channel, and they are quite cheap.

I have never liked any egnater. They are "big" sounding (mind the tweaker) but very muddy and muffled. And they just can't seem to get that biting crunch that you are looking for.

Yeah, I just got done reading your thread, can't say I've really had the same experiences with both the Peavey and the Tweaker. Like I said before though, the Rebel head I played through I wasn't much of a fan of. To each his own I guess. If you want to buy my Classic 50 head that'd be sweet though

I actually used to have a Crate Vintage Club 30 that I positively loved the sound of, but I had to take it in for 3 different repairs within a month, so I decided to return it and cut my losses before the warrenty ran out. If I was able to find one of those again I might consider taking it out for a spin.
Quote by souperman08
Yeah, I just got done reading your thread, can't say I've really had the same experiences with both the Peavey and the Tweaker. Like I said before though, the Rebel head I played through I wasn't much of a fan of. To each his own I guess. If you want to buy my Classic 50 head that'd be sweet though

I actually used to have a Crate Vintage Club 30 that I positively loved the sound of, but I had to take it in for 3 different repairs within a month, so I decided to return it and cut my losses before the warrenty ran out. If I was able to find one of those again I might consider taking it out for a spin.

Just trying to save you trouble man. I owned both the tweaker and the classic at the same time. The tweaker literally sounded like a toy in comparison. But if you can get the sound you like out of it you are a better man than I am. A smaller amp would be a good idea for a setting like the one you will be in, an amp like that can be too much for many occasions.

You're peavey classic was obviously not forged in the kingdom of heaven like the one I played today, so I will have to pass on your offer
Quote by souperman08
Sounds like you know exactly how I feel. I've often heard "Oh, you play worship? Get a Fender, the cleans are perfect.", and I NEVER use a fully clean signal. If I was running multiple amps, I would love having a AC15 be one of them, but since I'm using one amp I need something more broad.

311ZOSOVHJH, forgive me if this is super stupid, but is a Renegade just a bigger version of the Rebel? At the GC I was at, they had a Rebel right next to the Tweaker, and I hated it in comparison. Couldn't quite put my finger on why, but I wasn't getting a sound I liked out of it.

Do you play Christian Death Metal?

If you answered no to this question, you should buy an AC15. It has sparkling cleans and a warm overdrive that just loves to be boosted. *Andy from PGS now plays a riff that could've been the riff for an opening song on an old ACDC album.*
Quote by Dmaj7

Do you play Christian Death Metal?

If you answered no to this question, you should buy an AC15. It has sparkling cleans and a warm overdrive that just loves to be boosted. *Andy from PGS now plays a riff that could've been the riff for an opening song on an old ACDC album.*

1. No, as explained in the OP.

2. As I said, they're great amps and I would use one if I was running multiple amps I would have one for some of my sounds. However, since I'm limited to only using one amp, the AC15 is not the broad, overall sound that I want.

3. As I said in the exact comment you quoted, I NEVER use a completely clean signal. Thus, having sparkling cleans is irrelevant to me.

4. I'm leaning more towards depending on my amp's overdrive, and adding pedal OD sparingly (which has not been directly stated before, my bad).
Quote by souperman08
1. No, as explained in the OP.

2. As I said, they're great amps and I would use one if I was running multiple amps I would have one for some of my sounds. However, since I'm limited to only using one amp, the AC15 is not the broad, overall sound that I want.

3. As I said in the exact comment you quoted, I NEVER use a completely clean signal. Thus, having sparkling cleans is irrelevant to me.

4. I'm leaning more towards depending on my amp's overdrive, and adding pedal OD sparingly (which has not been directly stated before, my bad).

Right, do you know what the AC15 is? Its nothing like the AC30.

AC30=sparkling cleans

AC15=Mild Gain at all times.
Quote by Dmaj7
Right, do you know what the AC15 is? Its nothing like the AC30.

AC30=sparkling cleans

AC15=Mild Gain at all times.

Quote by Dmaj7
you should buy an AC15. It has sparkling cleans and a warm overdrive that just loves to be boosted.

I'm legitimately confused. And when did I say anything about the AC30?
Quote by souperman08
I'm legitimately confused. And when did I say anything about the AC30?

That second quote was me mimicking ProGuitarShop.

Someone said something baout the Edge's style, but he plays an AC30.

AC15s are fairly dirty and have great overdrive.