Hi everyone!

I came across my Legacy J35 in my garage the other day:

http://www.legacymusic.com.au/products/index.cfm?action=view&id=43

This guitar served me really well for a long time but has since been forgotten as I moved on to my strat and my PRS.

So I've decided to make this a bit of a project guitar. I want to start by changing out the pickups. It came stock with the EMG HZ's which are muddy as hell. I really want to turn this into a rock n roll machine.

I want it to be able to handle 60's rock n roll (Beatles, Stones, Swinging Blue Jeans, Kinks etc), blues and rockabilly (Think Stray Cats) and still sound great with Oasis levels of distortion if possible.

I was contemplating installing Gretsch pickups and see if I could cover all the styles, but I have no clue when it comes to what gretsch pickups are good etc.

Budget is no more than probably $300AU for both pickups (happy to scour ebay for used bargins etc.). Rest of my gear is in my sig!

Cheers!
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonerider British Distortion
Tonerider American Overdrive
Boss DD7
Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker
Treble Booster.
Who puts EMG's in a hollow-body anyway....

If you want me to be the least bit helpful then....Lundgrens......go team.
Last edited by LostKeys at Aug 31, 2011,
Dimarzio EJ Custom set. Apparently built to replicate the sound of an old Gretsch
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I'm as surprised as you guys about the EMG's. I'm really really hoping everyone either clicks the link or reads that it came stock with the guitar or I'm going to have to get the flame shield ready haha!

Cheers for the suggestions thus far, I'll check them out now! Keep the suggestions flowing!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
The Lundgren Heaven 57 was gorgeous, but a little out of my price range (at around $200 a pickup).

The supermassive was very very cool, but it may be a little too modern. Probably going for a more vintage tone?

Need to do more research into the EJ!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
I'm not that surprised that it has EMG's. Those aren't proper EMG's, they are el cheapo passive pups used as OEM parts on lots of cheap guitars so they can say "EMG equipped."

Not sure if GFS will ship to here but if they do, this would be a cheap and good solution:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Dream-180-Vintage-Voiced-Humbucker-Chrome-_c_54.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 31, 2011,
Any sound clips floating around for the dream 180? I read some reviews and forums and a lot of people say they are fantastic.
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
I have some in an Xaviere semi-hollow tele, I think they would be exactly what you're looking for (And if not, they're pretty cheap, heh).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The price is very very convincing, and it seems like they'll handle exactly what I need. I'll wait for a few more suggestions and until I'm able to find some sound clips!

On a side note away from pick ups, is it possible, and what's the easiest way to install a bigsby on this guitar?

Cheers =)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
If you need to ask, don't do it. Concentrate on other things. A poor attempt at installing a Bigsby will result in a guitar destined for the dumpster.
How's the bridge and the nut? Internal wiring? Frets? Lots of things to do yet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 31, 2011,
Guitar fetish NYIIs are good. TV jones pickups might be a nice upgrade as well.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Wise advice on the bigsby there! That was more so of a probing question, if it was a case of "Oh, follow these three easy steps" then I'd be cracking open the tool box. But now I shall be taking three easy steps to a qualified tech
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.