Alright, so I recently bought a dozen of 1/4" neodymium rod magnets because, you know, magnets! I thought that I could possibly make a few pickups out of them, but then it ocurred to me that single-coils and humbuckers alike use a magnetic base plate and normal, non-magnetic pole peices to create a signal. So what I would like to know is, could this happen:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5397/pickupdiagram1.jpg

(Coils and bobbins were omitted for simplicity's sake.)

Or is there any other way I could use those magnetic pole pieces to build pickups?
Some people use quotations,
Some people are just perverse,
Some people have ironic machinations,
But I'll just break into verse!
With pole pieces you don't have to have that boring metal plate. Just make sure your magnets are axial.
They're diametric. :< I suppose that means that regular pickup magnets exert a horizontal magnetic field, whereas mine exert a vertical one? I guess I could turn them on their sides and stack them to obtain greater height...
Fender single coils actually don't have a baseplate. The polepieces are the magnets.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
But then again, their pickups use axial magnetic pole pieces, right? :T

I'd have to build a pickup of which the likes has never been seen...I'll be right back, I need to grab my lab coat and Mad Scientist-brand goggles.
in a single coil pickup, the little pole pieces are the magnet.

in a humbucker the pole pieces are not magnetic and neither is the baseplate.

1-3 magnets are placed under the pole pieces between the windings and the baseplate.

in a single coil the windings are wound around the pole piece magnets.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
They're must be axial so the poles are on the opposite ends of the magnet. And yeah - that diagram rocks.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Also neodymium magnets are ****ing powerful. They will probably sound muddy and mess with your intonation. That said, you can do cool stuff with them, like hide them UNDER the pickgaurd. That far away a neodymium will still have enough strength to put out a normal output!

F**kin this! Do this, TS so everyone can be like "durrr, no pickups lol wut" and you can be like "F**k yea"
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!
See, I didn't think about that. Know I have, and will order some 42 AWG wire. Mad Scientist time!

Edit: Other than StewMac, what are my options for the purchase of pickup wire?
Last edited by Vabolo at Sep 2, 2011,