I have been teaching myself for about a year and have come pretty far. But I have recently stopped seeing much progression. Should I take lessons or just practice through it. Would lessons help if I already know the basics. Should I take them from the guitar store or someone else?
Lessons, yes, guitar store or someone else depends on how good they are/ if you can afford it.

Where are you and where do you want to go??
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Everyone has periods where it doesn't seem like they're progressing, I wouldn't worry about it. That's not to discounts lessons however.
Its always good for some one to mentor you. I learn many things every time I take a lesson. Heck I've got 2 teachers and might get a third.
I teach online. If you have skype and a webcam I'd be glad to help. It's essentially the same thing as taking lessons at a store, except you don't have to go anywhere. I have a music degree & 20 yrs teaching experience.

1st lesson is free.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 31, 2011,
I live on an island so I doubt there are many teachers advertising that live near me. And is it hard to have a lesson over skype?
Lessons always help. Go to the guitar store and ask around. And don't feel bad if you don't "jive" with your first guitar teacher. Find one that suits you.
Quote by kc35
I live on an island so I doubt there are many teachers advertising that live near me. And is it hard to have a lesson over skype?

Na, it's easy. It works exactly like if you went to a store or someones house. All you need is a good internet connection, a web cam, and skype.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by kc35
I have been teaching myself for about a year and have come pretty far. But I have recently stopped seeing much progression. Should I take lessons or just practice through it. Would lessons help if I already know the basics. Should I take them from the guitar store or someone else?

It doesn't matter where you take your lessons (although I'm not totally sold on Skype lessons - no offense - but there's a difference when you're in the room with someone).

The key is to find someone you're comfortable with, who is teaching you what you want to learn.

You say you've been teaching yourself, but in what way? Taking an organized course of study through books or a pay-for-video-lesson-website (I reviewed Jamplay for someone, and was surprised at how good most of the material was). Those might help you. Probably nothing will help as much as lessons with the right teacher, but of course lessons are also the most expensive way to learn.
Quote by HotspurJr
It doesn't matter where you take your lessons (although I'm not totally sold on Skype lessons - no offense - but there's a difference when you're in the room with someone).

Well, they are not "skype lessons", they are guitar lessons. Skype is just a program that allows the teacher and student to see and hear each other in real time.

I can tell you that there is no difference at all in terms of what happens and what's accomplished. I've been doing it for 2 years, and have had some of my online students for that long. They wouldn't stick with it if they weren't getting something out of it.

you can learn from videos, but you can't ask them questions.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 1, 2011,
Skype is so amazing in many ways. As far as logistics is concerned, it enabled the teacher to give in-home lessons with a competitive pricing scale.