Sure, it can get plenty brutal enough for metal. Whether you like the tone of the amp though is up to you. I personally don't like that amp at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I thought it never really sounded modern, it has plenty of gain for it but it just doesn't have that modern voicing.

Then again, I've been spoiled by using ENGL for years
WTLTL 2011
They were used to record The Dethalbum II. /thread.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Mark G
I thought it never really sounded modern, it has plenty of gain for it but it just doesn't have that modern voicing.

Then again, I've been spoiled by using ENGL for years

+1

wouldn't be my first choice, though it'd do it at a pinch.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like the JVM205s.

Its not really 'brutal' sounding, but it sounds a bit sludgier and doomier, which I prefer.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
it can do it, but for ultra modern brutal stuff i'd look no further than ENGL really
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
it can do it, but for ultra modern brutal stuff i'd look no further than ENGL really

ENGL's are not modern voiced. their gain is high, but it has the marshall style higher biased post-gain tonestack, as opposed to modern cold biased tonestack before gain stages like mesa
Quote by nandnor
ENGL's are not modern voiced. their gain is high, but it has the marshall style higher biased post-gain tonestack, as opposed to modern cold biased tonestack before gain stages like mesa

ENGL Invader, Powerball, Fireball not modern voiced? Orly. Even the Savage, e530, blackmore, which are more 80s sound more modern to me than the JVMs I've tried.

Depends on your defnition of modern though. I still think latest megadeth sounds pretty oldschool compared to other stuff I'm into.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 31, 2011,
Yeah. Its similar to those 80's hotrodded jcm800's where the treble peaking circuit is removed, low value cathode resistors, extra gain stage before marshall tone stack. Its that hot sound but not the modern cold biased tight mesa sound
You have to crank JVMs #1 to get a decent tone and that 'decency' is in the ear of the beholder. They may work for some but to me the ODs are fairly horrid. OD1 Green is OK, cleans are nice, etc but I don't consider JVMs very tight. I'm sure there are people and clips out there that prove me wrong but again....it is very subjective. ENGL sounds better to my ears. So does the DSL for that matter.
Quote by nandnor

im sorry what??

so the Fireball, Powerball, SE, Savage, and Invader are not modern voiced?? what are you smoking.....
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by nandnor
Yeah. Its similar to those 80's hotrodded jcm800's where the treble peaking circuit is removed, low value cathode resistors, extra gain stage before marshall tone stack. Its that hot sound but not the modern cold biased tight mesa sound

you have no idea what you are talking about.

there is nothing remotely similar between an engl circuit and a hotrodded jcm800 circuit.

The cold biased cold clipper of the rectos are much closer to a hot rodded jcm800 then an engl will ever be.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer