So I tune around a lot, playing everything from Standard to Drop C (I tried, B. Everthing rattled). So basically, what gauge strings should I go with?

I was using D'addario 10's, but they're definitely too light for (drop) C. So would 11's be ok for everything from Standard to Drop C? Or is that not going to be good for my guitar without truss rod adjustments etc. ?

Tl;DR I play in lots of tunings, 11 gauge ok without truss rod adjustments? 10's feel loose in Drop C.♦

EDIT: Just stumbled upon these. Will they be ok on my guitar? http://store.daddario.com/category/145788/EXL140_Light_TopHeavy_Bottom_10-52
Last edited by nolifeXD at Aug 31, 2011,
Probably yeah, but try to find a light top/heavy bottom set of strings. Is it just the low C string that feels too loose?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Yeah, It's just the low C string that feels kinda loose. The bottom 3 could stand to be tighter. I literally just found those light top/heavy bottom strings right before I read your recommendation. :3

And thank ya for the calculator. I'm toying with it atm.
I use Ernie Ball slinky top Fat Bottom and I can tune to a Low A (I use it to play No One love me and Neither do I - Them Crooked Vultures) and it does it no problem, otherwise I usually play in standard and it's lovely for that too
Really, you need a second guitar. With such drastic changes in tuning, you're going to need to adjust the truss rod and intonation. You know that rattling you got in drop B? It's because the guitar wasn't set up for it. Had you tried to play high up on the fretboard, you probably would have noticed that the notes weren't in tune.
Oh, I know I'll have to do some adjustments for Drop B. It's extreme.... I bailed just about as soon as I tuned to it. I just slapped on a set of top light bottom heavy XL D'Addario strings, so I'm liking them so far and they seem to handle C and drop C with no problem. I will not be venturing into drop B territory anytime soon.

Do you think my guitar will need a truss rod adjustment with the tunings I currently swap between? Or is it minor enough that it won't matter?
I use 11s for everything from E to C standard. Recently though, I've been subbing the 6th string with a 54 so I can do that weird Neurosis/Mastodon Tuning (AGCFAD), and the added tension in D standard is nice.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by ACollier
Really, you need a second guitar. With such drastic changes in tuning, you're going to need to adjust the truss rod and intonation. You know that rattling you got in drop B? It's because the guitar wasn't set up for it. Had you tried to play high up on the fretboard, you probably would have noticed that the notes weren't in tune.

Yes.