Hi guys.

A little while ago I made myself a Frankenstrat that was:
a)Incredibly rushed
b)Wrong guitar
c)Terrible

So i've decided to re-do it but with the proper guitar and a lot more patience.
I'll pretty much be doing it as close to the original as I can, so that means routing out the pickup cavity with a chisel, finding reflectors, etc, etc.

I have picked the guitar i'll be using as a base:

So that'll be gutted, sanded down (including headstock) and ready for paint.

I'm going to be routing out the pickup cavity with a chisel to follow tradition (and because i'm useless with a routing machine) but still haven't decided on the pickup. Probably going to just get a VH signature model or if there's anything you guys can recommend?

Also are there tips/hints on how to dirty up the maple fretboard? I thought about just rubbing it in the dirt but realized there's probably a better/more efficient way of doing it...

So i'll keep you guys posted, the guitar will probably get ordered sometime next week and stick around!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Go for something cheaper than the VH signature. Those things are just wastes of money when it barely shaped his sound (All that stuff about a magical rewound PAF shaping his sound is bullcrap. For the first album on about half the songs he used a completely stock Ibanez Destroyer).

To dirty up the fretboard, coffee grounds.
Thanks for the help mate, would never have guessed coffee grounds...
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
guitar fetish has their VEH which supposedly nails the brown sound
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by IronMaiden76

This. My friend is a massive EVH nut and made his own Frankenstrat with this on it. I think it sounds pretty damn good and he would probably marry the damn thing if he could.
Quote by IronMaiden76

Thanks mate, i'll check it out
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
UPDATE: Guitar was ordered today should receive that sometime next week hopefully.

Also decided that hardware/pickups will come from GF. Mostly 'cause it's cheap and I wanna try it out.
I'll let you know when it arrives
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
On the "aging a maple fretboard" thing.
I read an issue of Guitar&Bass a while back (I'll take a look for it in a bit, just to get the accurate description of it), where they made a replica of Eric Clapton's "Blackie".

To age the fretboard they put a polishing 'bit' on a Dremel (not sure if the term 'bit' is right in this case?), anyway if you sort of "polish" the bits which lie inbetween the strings you get the effect of this:

I think you have to be careful not to burn it or melt something...or something, I forget what it said, but as I say I'll try to look the magazine out to get the accurate description of what to do.
Hmm thanks for the idea, but I wasn't really going for an "aged" look, more just dirty like this

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Ah, I guess I'm remembering the Frankenstrat wrong. I thought it had some of that aging stuff going on!

For that look you'll just have to dirty it up with whatever can get stuck into the grain.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
On the "aging a maple fretboard" thing.
I read an issue of Guitar&Bass a while back (I'll take a look for it in a bit, just to get the accurate description of it), where they made a replica of Eric Clapton's "Blackie".

To age the fretboard they put a polishing 'bit' on a Dremel (not sure if the term 'bit' is right in this case?), anyway if you sort of "polish" the bits which lie inbetween the strings you get the effect of this:

I think you have to be careful not to burn it or melt something...or something, I forget what it said, but as I say I'll try to look the magazine out to get the accurate description of what to do.

huge favour, could you scan/link that article in a PM to me? I'm thinking about relic-ing one of the guitars I'm working on, and that is exactly the look I want!
Quote by SMTHSCN
huge favour, could you scan/link that article in a PM to me? I'm thinking about relic-ing one of the guitars I'm working on, and that is exactly the look I want!

I'll see what I can do. I need to find it first though!