There are 2 people in my band so far: me and a bassist. We pay for a rehearsal room and it's not cheap, but he says he only wants to go there once a week, because until there's no drummer, there's no point in rehearsing.
I don't really want to pay for a room to go there 4 times a month, i think he is stupid and doesn't take the band seriously, while he says that he does take it seriously.
What do you think?

edit: also when i said i might look for another band to see his reaction, he just said "you think it would be hard for me as a bassist to look for a band too?"
he's very annoying and constantly saying the opposite of what he said in the past, like taking the band seriously but then ending up rather staying home doing absolutely nothing instead of going to rehearsal and trying to write new songs. He says a bassist and a guitarist can't write a song alone. I say that's BS
Last edited by Yekex at Aug 31, 2011,
Wait, you pay it for the whole month and go only 4 times? My band has once a week rehearsals but we pay only for the few hours we spend there.

If it´s for the whole month that you are paying, then you definitely need to spend either more time there, or just find a cheaper solution.
I think you should start writing your own material, so that when you find a drummer you already have something you can show him, to work with.
Also, getting to know each other musically is very important, and you can only do so by playing together, a lot.

That said, my band only rehearses once a week, and we've been working like that for almost 3 years now.
And even when one of the members can't rehearse, the others still get together to work a bit.
It's just a matter of finding out what works best for all the band members.

EDIT:
Quote by Yekex
He says a bassist and a guitarist can't write a song alone. I say that's BS

That's absolutely BS.
I write most of the band's stuff alone or with the drummer, and then i record it and give it to the bass player so he can create his parts. That's the way he likes to work.

But i've written music along with him, and he also wrote songs alone, then submitted them to me so i could do the guitar parts.

If you're serious about writing music, you can do it any way you want. Alone, together... It doesn't matter, as long as you're satisfied with that method.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Aug 31, 2011,
He doesn't sound like the kinda guy you want to be in a band with. Get some basic songwriting software, try and write some decent songs on that, then advertise or ask around for band members when you can show them some material perhaps?
This whole thing sounds kinda childish. "My bassist says I'm wrong and he's stupid! I'm right, right?"

Confront him and be adamant. That's the only way anything will get done other than people here validating your opinion without hearing the other guy's side of the story. You seem to think you don't want to work with him; if that's the case, kick him out. Problem solved. If not, why not? Figure out what you think, then let him know. Problem solved.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
This whole thing sounds kinda childish. "My bassist says I'm wrong and he's stupid! I'm right, right?"

Confront him and be adamant. That's the only way anything will get done other than people here validating your opinion without hearing the other guy's side of the story. You seem to think you don't want to work with him; if that's the case, kick him out. Problem solved. If not, why not? Figure out what you think, then let him know. Problem solved.

This^

also you should consider that he may not feel comfortable trying to rehearse with out the drummer, some people dont do well with out the whole band. the other thing I don't understand is why you aren't just writing the songs on your own and then introducing them to your bassist......
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
thanks for the replies. i will write my songs alone until there's a new band member.

Quote by Hail

Confront him and be adamant. That's the only way anything will get done other than people here validating your opinion without hearing the other guy's side of the story.

what are you talking about? i'm just telling you the facts. he doesn't want to rehearse and the room is expensive. i was wondering if this is normal or bands usually rehearse more.
Quote by Yekex

what are you talking about? i'm just telling you the facts. he doesn't want to rehearse and the room is expensive. i was wondering if this is normal or bands usually rehearse more.

"he's very annoying and constantly saying the opposite of what he said in the past, like taking the band seriously but then ending up rather staying home doing absolutely nothing instead of going to rehearsal and trying to write new songs."

you obviously dislike him if you say he's annoying and contradictory.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
im not really sure why a guitarist and bass player even need a jam space. just go to one of your houses. its two people and neither need to play loud yet. people get jam spaces because they need a place they can have a full band with a drummer in and not worry about noise or other problems that come with jamming at someones place.

so in a sense, he's right. there isnt much point in going.
If you guys aren't excited about getting together to play, I'm not sure why you're forming a band together. Seems to me that you're much more likely to find a drummer that you ultimately want to work with if you guys are playing regularly and developing a rapport and a style, so that a drummer can say, "wow, I'd love to be a part of that."

But I also don't get why you're renting a space if it's just a guitarist and bassist. Quite frankly, I'm not sure why you really need to rent a rehearsal space for a while - chances are that you can find a garage or basement until you guys get to the point where actually putting it up on its feet the way it will feel in front of an audience is relevant. Certainly, every serious rehearsal space I've heard of charges by the hour - there may be a minimum number of hours, but even still.

But really it comes back to why you're playing with this guy. At this stage, you guys should be playing together because you LIKE playing together, you should be writing songs together because it's fun and satisfying and you enjoy spending time together.

And if it's not, why are you doing it?
Quote by Yekex
He says a bassist and a guitarist can't write a song alone. I say that's BS

John Lennon - guitar
Paul McCartney - bass

'nuff said.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
He doesn't sound motivated. Not going because of no drummer is a weak excuse. The kind of people you want to be in a band with would have said "it's fine lets practice as much as we possibly can anyways while also figuring out a solution in our free time."
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
im not really sure why a guitarist and bass player even need a jam space. just go to one of your houses. its two people and neither need to play loud yet. people get jam spaces because they need a place they can have a full band with a drummer in and not worry about noise or other problems that come with jamming at someones place.

so in a sense, he's right. there isnt much point in going.

this....what the hell? why in the world do u need to pay for a space to rehearse.

and no, its not gonna work out, you obviously dont like this dude. if you guys got along you could probably just play at each others houses and write songs there
You don't have a band... is their really anything to "take seriously" at the moment? Like has been said talk to him and get out of that practise space, unless you really can't play at either one of yours houses, until you get a drummer which will push the needed volume up.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
This ^ A rented practice space is completely unnecesary for only 2 people. Especially when those 2 people are guitars. And also, if you dont dig him as a person, and if hes as lazy and negative as you say he is, then why waste your time? Bass players...(shakes head)